PDA

View Full Version : My catfishes !

Fario
05-27-2011, 11:01 AM
Hi!
I want to show you my last catch. Two fantastic catfish caught with crankbaits.
My last catch (http://poland-fishing.blogspot.com/2011/05/my-fantastic-spinning-catfishes.html)

Winch101
05-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Is it just me but I am reluctant to open this ,Catfish, crankbaits ,poland

, I could be wrong ...:mad0030:

Fario
05-27-2011, 11:54 AM

Could you maybe explain me what are you talking about?

FishingMOM
05-27-2011, 11:58 AM
That little catfish reminds me of my child hood.

Fario we dont have catfish here (alberta) so you have some guys confused.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd373/jennifer_marie7/11052011951.jpg

finsnfeathers
05-27-2011, 11:59 AM
very nice site....massive catfish! Congrats! They're real hogs to reel in!! Good job!

Fario
05-27-2011, 12:06 PM
That little catfish reminds me of my child hood.

Fario we dont have catfish here so you have some guys confused.

Ok. Sory for my mistake. I thought it would be interesting for you. I promise I will write about zander or trout next time.

It would be ok for me to delete this thread if you want to.

FishingMOM
05-27-2011, 12:10 PM
Ok. Sory for my mistake. I thought it would be interesting for you. I promise I will write about zander or trout next time.

Don't delete
I think they may have suspected spam. We seem to get spam from Russia and parts on a regular basis.

I loved catfish fishing as a kid.
Nothing like a good long fight with one of them little kitties.

Worms and rotting chicken skins were always preferred bait. I think my largest ever was 35lbs. Most of what we caught were much much smaller but you could be sure they ALWAYS put up a great fight.

Hoping to make it to Poland in the next couple of years. Have a couple good friends who were born and raised there and they go every summer to see family and my son and I have been invited along.

Would absolutely love to try my hand fishing there.

Fario
05-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Don't delete
I think they may have suspected spam. We seem to get spam from Russia and parts on a regular basis.

I loved catfish fishing as a kid.
Nothing like a good long fight with one of them little kitties.

Worms and rotting chicken skins were always preferred bait. I think my largest ever was 35lbs. Most of what we caught were much much smaller but you could be sure they ALWAYS put up a great fight.

Hoping to make it to Poland in the next couple of years. Have a couple good friends who were born and raised there and they go every summer to see family and my son and I have been invited along.

Would absolutely love to try my hand fishing there.

Ok. It is NOT spam. I'm a regular guest here.

Night fishing is the best for me. Sometimes I'm seating with a beer trying to catch carp using protein boiles, sometimes I'm spinning whole night for zander and catfish. Night fishing is always magical!

There is one more powerfull fish in Poland - Danube salmon (huchen) check out on my blog :)
If you come to Poland e-mail me - jk@silverteam.pl
Maybe i will help you, give some advice :)

iliketrout
05-27-2011, 12:41 PM

Don't delete the thread. It is interesting to see big fish from other parts of the world. Just the same as the thread by the guy from New Zealand with the hunting pics.

Probably why most of us watch Fish Warrior etc.

If you read the thread on how to post pics, and use photobucket, it would make it easier for most to see.

BTW - nice fish!

WayneChristie
05-27-2011, 01:12 PM
great fish, can you send a few bucketfulls over here? :bad_boys_20: bet they would be a lot of fun to bring in.

jeprli
05-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Nice Siluro!

That must have been a nice fight. Your arms must be sore from those two.
Any pictures of the crankbait you were using? I'd like to see how the hooks look like after these cats had a bite.

FishingMOM
05-27-2011, 02:46 PM
great fish, can you send a few bucketfulls over here? :bad_boys_20: bet they would be a lot of fun to bring in.

Wayne even the baby kitties are lots of fun to fight.
Best part is they would do well in our waters here.

DuckBrat
05-27-2011, 03:45 PM
Would love to see them zander pics, if they are handy...

Dust1n
05-27-2011, 06:21 PM

catfish eat topwaters too bud :) its even caught on tv with that very unfriendly jerrate edwards outdoors show.

FishingMOM
05-27-2011, 08:43 PM
Fario

are you a fan of eating catfish?
Personally I hate it. But there was always others around who were more than happy to take them home for dinner.

Fario
05-28-2011, 12:06 PM
Nice Siluro!

That must have been a nice fight. Your arms must be sore from those two.
Any pictures of the crankbait you were using? I'd like to see how the hooks look like after these cats had a bite.

Thanks!
I was using Owner ST-36 Treble - you can't go wrong with them :)

1) Hunter Spirit (Bleak Imitation)
2) Jaxon Ferox

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-IJlB_r-XKJk/TeE5BbYVI_I/AAAAAAAAAOg/MAhzz5AAPPA/s1600/DSCF4237.JPG
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-n4AzkzcJ1pg/TeE5BzxRLWI/AAAAAAAAAOk/For2CC-Ax7k/s1600/DSCF4238.JPG

Fario
05-28-2011, 12:07 PM
Would love to see them zander pics, if they are handy...

Chech out this: Zander (http://poland-fishing.blogspot.com/2011/03/zander-fishing-lures-spots-technique.html)

Fario
05-28-2011, 12:08 PM
Fario

are you a fan of eating catfish?
Personally I hate it. But there was always others around who were more than happy to take them home for dinner.

Not at all:) I release most of them. Like every fishes:)

horsetrader
05-28-2011, 12:15 PM
Nice Zander so close to Walleye

C Taylor
05-28-2011, 12:22 PM
is a catfish like a burbot with just a tube of meat or do they have a fillet?

Fario
05-28-2011, 03:38 PM
Zamder is very similar species to walleye. Zander is the bigger one. Those on my photos are quite small :)

I would say european atfish - wels is more like a tube of meat. They are also very similar to american cats or burbot. Yes we have burbots here also ;)

Logan
05-28-2011, 06:47 PM
For what its worth my cat fishes too...

http://www.cat-domain.com/cat_cyber/cat-fishing.jpg

steve
05-28-2011, 06:50 PM
Nice fish!

Fario
05-31-2011, 11:10 AM
Thanks!
I have written a few words about spinning for catfish. If someone is interested in it visit this link:

Spinning for catfish (http://poland-fishing.blogspot.com/p/spinning-for-catfish.html)

Best regards
Jarek

alodar
05-31-2011, 02:02 PM
Do you know what type of cats they are fario? I was guessing wels cats.......... got ur link nvm

jeprli
05-31-2011, 03:15 PM
It is a wells catfish, no other grows that big in Europe.

They are fascinating fighters and a big challenge for any fisherman. Where i grew up old fisherman would go searching for them with a "ploper" spoon, the way this works is you drift down a likely holding spot dragging bait below the boat. While doing this they would constantly "plop" surface of the water with stick that has a cup on one end, that cup makes the ploping sound. Many, many huge catfish have been caught this way for over a century. It irritates their lateral line and gets them to investigate their surroundings, which often results in success. Danube river is very famous for this type of catfishing. Fights last for hours and it is common to be towed for kilometers up and down the river. Wells catfish has a massive tail that they know how to use, when they start swinging in the current it is almost impossible to gain any kind of control.

I've been lucky to see them spawn in Danube swamps where i grew up(Kopacki Rit), my dad would take me for excursions to this national park(UNESCO protected) and it is a sight to be seen.

That video on Farios blog is from Ural delta in Kazakhstan one of the best freshwater fisheries for zander, wells catfish and asp.

Fario, I don't mean to hijack your thread, just wanted to paint the picture a bit for those who haven't had a chance to fish for "sum", "som" where i come from. BTW I'm, really jealous of your catfish/zander adventures.

Fario
05-31-2011, 03:43 PM
It is a wells catfish, no other grows that big in Europe.

They are fascinating fighters and a big challenge for any fisherman. Where i grew up old fisherman would go searching for them with a "ploper" spoon, the way this works is you drift down a likely holding spot dragging bait below the boat. While doing this they would constantly "plop" surface of the water with stick that has a cup on one end, that cup makes the ploping sound. Many, many huge catfish have been caught this way for over a century. It irritates their lateral line and gets them to investigate their surroundings, which often results in success. Danube river is very famous for this type of catfishing. Fights last for hours and it is common to be towed for kilometers up and down the river. Wells catfish has a massive tail that they know how to use, when they start swinging in the current it is almost impossible to gain any kind of control.

I've been lucky to see them spawn in Danube swamps where i grew up(Kopacki Rit), my dad would take me for excursions to this national park(UNESCO protected) and it is a sight to be seen.

That video on Farios blog is from Ural delta in Kazakhstan one of the best freshwater fisheries for zander, wells catfish and asp.

Fario, I don't mean to hijack your thread, just wanted to paint the picture a bit for those who haven't had a chance to fish for "sum", "som" where i come from. BTW I'm, really jealous of your catfish/zander adventures.

All you are saying is true. This stick with cup on the top is called "kwok" in Poland. It is very popular in Poland and Czech also but mostly while fishing with live baits.

Thanks for updating my info:)

The biggest polish wels (including artifical lures only) was caught last year by Marek Szymański in Vistula river with Storm Wiggle Wart 7. Photos are under this link:
Huge catfish (http://www.wedkarskiswiat.pl/content/view/1466/40/)

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-31-2011, 03:55 PM
Fario Are those Flat head Catfish ? Defenetly not Channel cats .

Toirtis
05-31-2011, 08:08 PM
Fario we dont have catfish here (alberta) so you have some guys confused.

Actually, we do....Notrurus flavus is native to Alberta.

Toirtis
05-31-2011, 08:10 PM
Fario Are those Flat head Catfish ? Defenetly not Channel cats .

Wels ( Silurus glanis ).

jeprli
05-31-2011, 10:49 PM
In the old days, wells catfish was used for water filtering. Dry regions would collect rain in underground chambers(reservoirs) and put catfish in them to keep it free of pests and other contaminants.