PDA

View Full Version : SSR today

Fishfinder
05-27-2011, 05:46 PM
River is silly high, current is silly fast, friend and I...silly enough to go for it. Might be my last chance for awhile. First 2 hrs(6-8) were tough. Nasty winds and unforgiving river. We caught a few suckas before we would get snagged. Large objects floating down riv.
Wind calmed at 9 and the bite was on. We fished till 1. Buddy managed 4 sturg, I managed 5 and a perty perty ling. And of course, a gazillion suckas. I musta plucked at least 50 fat night crawlers last night in back yard, they were all gone by 1 today:)

Highlights of the day:

-50" sturg. Me:)
-48" sturg. Me:)
-Nicest "looking" burb I've ever caught, not big. And happily did not take hook deep. (pics to follow......)
-Watched a doe swim across the wild current with ease, was pretty impressive. 2nd time I've seen that.
-Almost hooked a pelican by accident, casted out, seen this thing nosedive for my line, freaked me out haha. ( coulda been a lowlight of the day)
-Relatively popular place was quite clean which is not the norm. Seems people are picking up after themselves which is unusual for this place so that makes me quite happy.
-Seen a beautiful female woody woodpecker. Awesome colors...not as cool as the males, but nice:)
-Tossed some 30# suffix 832 on my 7ft Ugly lol and expected the worst as I was pushing the limits with amount of line on a older reel...but man.....those rods are invincible I tell ya!

Lowlights:

-Lost a monster sturg next cast after me 50"er):
-Buddy never hooked into a huge fish.
-One sucka prolly died, took hook deep.

Cheers n GL all!:)

Dale S
05-27-2011, 08:15 PM
Nice!!!! One of these days that 60in. is going to hook up.

WayneChristie
05-27-2011, 09:35 PM
sounds like a good day, Im surprised the Bow wasnt much higher tyhan last weekend today, but it may have come up since i was there. I hope you are pointing all those sturgeon towards my neck of the woods/prairie :bad_boys_20:

Fishfinder
05-28-2011, 07:33 AM
Nice!!!! One of these days that 60in. is going to hook up.

Yeah. I am happily a member of the 60 club thanx to last year's 67":D which I highly doubt I'll ever catch another freshwater sturg that big ever again in my life lol.
This year's #s have been a lil lower but the sizes have been nice. Of the 13 I have managed thus far this year, largest were 48", 50", 50.5" and 55.5" so I'm pretty happy with that.
Seen a few others in the 48"-57" range landed too and one 60" by a buddy's buddy (I was not there but seen nice pic).
I'm generally happy catching any game fish but any sturg landed over 4' truly makes my day:)
Cheers n GL!

Fishfinder
05-28-2011, 07:35 AM
sounds like a good day, Im surprised the Bow wasnt much higher tyhan last weekend today, but it may have come up since i was there. I hope you are pointing all those sturgeon towards my neck of the woods/prairie :bad_boys_20:

I try and send them your way Wayne but they just keep coming back:confused0024:

Cheers!

Dale S
05-28-2011, 06:04 PM
Was out today (Sat) and landed only 1 but it was a good one.53in.and nice and fat.

Fishfinder
05-29-2011, 07:19 AM
Was out today (Sat) and landed only 1 but it was a good one.53in.and nice and fat.

Nice Dino Dago:)
Attempted the riv yesterday, couple suckas was about it. Pretty funny watching guys (myself included) casting 5 feet in front of ourselves with 8 oz of weight and still watch the current manhandle our lines lol. And this is in slower water lol.

Anyway, taking off in few hours for about a month. Peace River here I come. Never been there, should be interesting. Was hoping to hook into 1 more monster before I left but not in the cards yesterday.

Happy Sturg hunting all, hope u hook into some gooders. With the riv being so dangerously high right now, the next couple weeks should be great sturg fishing.

I will still have internet up north so I'm gonna have to live/fish vicariously through u all haha:)
Next time Wayne, next time. Promise.:)

Cheers n GL All!:)