PDA

View Full Version : Called RAP line today.....Damn Poachers!

Lefty-Canuck
05-27-2011, 09:47 PM
Well I was out pike fly fishing one of my spots today and there were quite a few fisherman on the banks.

Accross the bay from where I was a couple hundred yards away I see a guy catch a hammer handle pike. As he get it to shore he unhooks it and wings it up in the grass...no tape out no measuring nothing....I am thinking I know I am about 250yrds away right now ....but he brought out no tape and most fish people catch there are hammer handles.

I then see a mini-van that was parked further down drive up to where the guy is....I see another guy go over and proceed to stomp on the fish (assuming on the head). So I decide I can't let this slide.....

So I proceed to walk over to them .... past about 7-8 other people fishing some about 20 yards from them.

One guy sees me coming and reels in his line and breaks down his rod and goes to the back of the van to put it in. The older fella is standing over in the grass.....I knew thats where the fish was. So I walked over to him and look in the grass and there is 2 very undersize pike laying there....

So I proceed to tell these guys that those fish are way too small to be keeping......the ignorance started so my voice got raised and I proceeded to unleash on these guys.....they didnt say much once that started. Then they take the 2 fish and toss them in the lake....clearly they won't live. Then the oldest of the bunch proceeds to walk over and dig ANOTHER fish out of the grass and throw it in the lake......so I ask them how many more fish am I gonna find in the grass?

I also told them I have their license plate and if I see then down there again doing the same thing I'll call F&W. I told them if they have undersize fish at home they better go home and cook em quick...... so they get in their van and drive off.....not knowing I was planning on calling F&W anyways.

At this point I fish the floater out of the lake and take pictures of it next to my rod and my tape measure in case F&W needs it.

F&W called me back and asked for descriptions etc. As he is stting outside their house waiting for them to return. I gave him my email and told him ill send him the pics if he needs em.......I'll wait and see where this goes.

On a good note I nearly landed about a 15lb fish tonight! I tried to shore land him and when he got in shallow he spit the hook which is cool.

Lefty

WayneChristie
05-27-2011, 10:06 PM
good job. :shake2:

Sundancefisher
05-27-2011, 10:19 PM
I hope they nail em all!

ishootbambi
05-27-2011, 10:47 PM
good job lefty. i might have kept quiet and let them take the fish home though. pics are good, but fish in the van when the fish cop is waiting for them is more damning than pics. sounds like they were going to die anyway. hopefully some charges are laid....and stick.

Lefty-Canuck
05-27-2011, 10:47 PM
In good conscience I just couldn't sit back and watch them. I would hope most of the people here would do the same thing?

Yah I was kickin myself a bit about that....I honestly didn't think the Officer would stakeout their place!

Lefty

gl2
05-27-2011, 10:50 PM
i am always suspicious of grown men who go fishing in mini vans and you have just confirmed my worst fears....lol.

in all seriousness good job on reporting them. i hope they get the book thrown at them.

ishootbambi
05-27-2011, 10:55 PM
hindsight is 20/20 alright. like i said, hopefully what you got will be enough for a conviction. and i agree......looking the other way is basically condoning it.

FishingFrenzy
05-27-2011, 11:07 PM
Any chance these guys were driving a tan toyota sienna and were of asian descent? Just curious, reported some poachers last weekend at Coal for the same thing.

Nice job on the RAP call, the more people that call, the more poachers get caught. Good thing for everyone!

Lefty-Canuck
05-27-2011, 11:11 PM
Any chance these guys were driving a tan toyota sienna and were of asian descent? Just curious, reported some poachers last weekend at Coal for the same thing.

Nice job on the RAP call, the more people that call, the more poachers get caught. Good thing for everyone!

YUP! those would be them.....I wanted to leave the race thing out of it....we should compare notes (ie. what license number you got!)

Apparently repeat offenders.....be really nice to have them get charged!

Lefty

SushiUnagi
05-27-2011, 11:53 PM
Good job Lefty! We need more people like you that would step up and take the initiative in calling the wrongdoings

Albertadiver
05-27-2011, 11:55 PM
Whhhoooo Boy, I'm buying you a SUPERsized Mojito when I meet you sir!

Thanks for calling it in, and thanks for posting.

BGSH
05-28-2011, 12:26 AM
Good to hear, way to go!!!

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-28-2011, 01:09 AM
SOunds like the same guys as a few years back Ukimov or however he spells his name and REdneckposse were out then polish guys kept every pike they hooked tossed it in the grass , and into a bag in the van , then left couple hours later come back do it all agian . I reported those guys even with video of them doing it . Never did hear back from fish and wildlife . Thats when I lost faith in the fish and wildlife report a poacher hotline . I was livid .

Lefty-Canuck
05-28-2011, 07:35 AM
BBJ,

These three guys were definitly not polish. I think they have a really good idea of what they are doing..... although when approached plead ignorance. When they catch the fish and stash them in the grass.....they can plead that they are not theirs if F&W shows up (argue they were there before or someone else did it).

I just hope they get called on in enough times and get enough complaints logged against them that F&W can do something about it.

Lefty

Lefty-Canuck
05-28-2011, 07:36 AM
Whhhoooo Boy, I'm buying you a SUPERsized Mojito when I meet you sir!

Thanks for calling it in, and thanks for posting.

I hope it has 2 umbrellas! Oh goodie goodie gumdrops I can't wait! Can I bring my garden gnome friend to? LOL :sHa_sarcasticlol:

boot
05-28-2011, 08:47 AM
Nice work Lefty!

latenite
05-28-2011, 09:02 AM
good job Lefty!

Flyfisher87
05-28-2011, 09:40 AM
Nice work Lefty. Karma is a wonderful thing at times. I am sure you will be rewarded somewhere down the line. Congrats on the 15lb pike too.

TyreeUM
05-28-2011, 09:43 AM
man I can not believe the poachers you guys have out there...I hardly ever see anyone when I go fishing, let alone people poaching...

finsnfeathers
05-28-2011, 09:48 AM
very commendable Lefty, You can fish with me anytime!

New Hunter Okotoks
05-28-2011, 09:53 AM
man I can not believe the poachers you guys have out there...I hardly ever see anyone when I go fishing, let alone people poaching...

True that. I really don't understand it either. For the costs involved with getting to a lake and then the risk of getting caught;not to mention the feeling of being a lowlife poacher. Why don't these guys just go buy some fish at the grocery store? It's probably cheaper. A typical day of ice fishing for me at Travers cost about $70 in fuel and about $10.00 in propane. Another 20 for incidentals like baits and such and it's a $100 day. I can buy a lot of Walleye fillets at Costco for that money.

BTW, Good Job Lefty.

Badback
05-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Good job Lefty....

ukrmaf
05-28-2011, 11:55 AM
Great job man, hopefully the fish cops did something about it, unfortunatley i think they are well understaffed but regardless maybe it will make those tools think twice about trying that next time. Its amazing how ignorant some of these people are, any time i have seen poaching its where these folks are surrounded by tons of other fishermen, right in plain sight, all we can do call RAP and ofcourse suger in their gas tanks wouldnt be a bad idea either, lol!:thinking-006:

C Taylor
05-28-2011, 12:50 PM
fish cops are understaffed but if we all took the time to get envolved they would be well staffed. just wondering Lefty is this bunch still at Coal or did they move after being reported the first time?

stuartmcgrandle
05-28-2011, 04:07 PM
why is it Lefty, that in your good citizeness, that you feel that you have to eliminate any description of the offenders race? we are smart enough to figure out that not every Asian is a poacher bcuz these ones were?

Lefty-Canuck
05-28-2011, 05:55 PM
why is it Lefty, that in your good citizeness, that you feel that you have to eliminate any description of the offenders race? we are smart enough to figure out that not every Asian is a poacher bcuz these ones were?

Well mostly I didnt want to have this anything about race....they were poachers plain and simple purple, green or orange doesn't matter....

Lefty

Lefty-Canuck
05-28-2011, 05:56 PM
fish cops are understaffed but if we all took the time to get envolved they would be well staffed. just wondering Lefty is this bunch still at Coal or did they move after being reported the first time?

If it is the same group they were at coal last week and there again when I called yesterday.....so they havent learned yet. That is assuming they are the same people.

Lefty

TyreeUM
05-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Well mostly I didnt want to have this anything about race....they were poachers plain and simple purple, green or orange doesn't matter....

Lefty

plus, every time someone mentions anything descriptive about a poacher other than they were "people poaching", the thread is derailed within minutes and chubbdarter has to start posting youtube videos...

boot
05-28-2011, 10:00 PM

When you say "we", I hope you don't mean everyone on this forum, because it's pretty clear that collectively, "we" are not smart enough.

I'm sure Lefty gave a good description of the culprits, plus their vehicle, along with pictures to F&W. Great job Lefty!

Champion
05-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Thanks for doing all you did, people like that really **** me off. Job well done!!!!!

pikeman06
05-28-2011, 10:37 PM
good on ya. we pretty much have to regulate ourselves anymore. or there will be nothing at all. its bad enough as it is. hopefull the fish had a good spawn this year and in five years or so we get into some good fishing again. good luck everyone.

pophouseman
05-29-2011, 04:54 PM

Saw them @ lac st. Anne on Saturday. Same Asian decent, Same tan/gold Sienna Van. F&W were there and busted them. They got it their Van and drove off. They were back 15 Mins later Fishing after F&W left......... :angry3: Wonder if they will EVER pay all those tickets?

FishingFrenzy
05-29-2011, 05:31 PM
Saw them @ lac st. Anne on Saturday. Same Asian decent, Same tan/gold Sienna Van. F&W were there and busted them. They got it their Van and drove off. They were back 15 Mins later Fishing after F&W left......... :angry3: Wonder if they will EVER pay all those tickets?
WOW. That really ticks me off.

Can't F&W confiscate equipment for repeat offenders? Take all their rods/lures/tackle for a first try. IF they seem them out again, impound the van.

I appreciate what F&W is trying to do, and yes this will catch up with these guys at some point but in the meantime they are contributing to our failing fisheries...

Lefty-Canuck
05-29-2011, 05:47 PM
hero.. get off your clydesdale

Useless post..... get off your keyboard :)

Lefty

Lefty-Canuck
05-29-2011, 06:02 PM
Response from the F&W Officer relating to the incident,

"I wasn't able to find the guys the other day but will as soon as I can. It will result in more of a stern talking to but at least they will know they are being watched. Thanks for calling it in as even if we don't get charges this time we have the history for when we deal with them in the future. Thanks and call anytime. Have a great summer!!"

Lesson learned....next time I observe poachers I will let them take the illegal game and call F&W so they can catch them with the evidence.

Lefty

FishingFrenzy
05-29-2011, 07:09 PM
Response from the F&W Officer relating to the incident,

"I wasn't able to find the guys the other day but will as soon as I can. It will result in more of a stern talking to but at least they will know they are being watched. Thanks for calling it in as even if we don't get charges this time we have the history for when we deal with them in the future. Thanks and call anytime. Have a great summer!!"

Lesson learned....next time I observe poachers I will let them take the illegal game and call F&W so they can catch them with the evidence.

Lefty

Wonder if they leave the keys in their van... Walk over, reach in the open door, grab keys, yell HEY BOYS and throw their keys into the lake... :sHa_shakeshout:

Now THAT would be funny. No running away for them...

And to all the haters and flamers, YES i know its illegal and YES i know we should leave that kind of thing to best guide, but admit the idea is rather pleasing....

ishootbambi
05-29-2011, 11:10 PM

you have got to be joking?!?!?!?

well....unless you are a sienna driving asian poacher! :thinking-006:

Badback
05-30-2011, 07:19 AM

Been caught poaching kippered...Go join a support group

outwalking
05-31-2011, 06:31 PM
Hey Lefty! Glad to have found you here. I haven't posted here in ages but have been lurking around lately.

My dad and boyfriend and I were there when you stomped over and "busted" those guys, we were unloading our little green boat. I couldn't figure out what you were doing at first and then it became apparent, and I was proud! Oh it made me SO mad when they tossed those fish back in the water, seeing them flop off the banks...just urgh!!

Should I call and back you up, so to speak? I saw it all too, all three of us did. Although I can't remember what day it was, or the time :confused:

There were plenty of people there, and right beside them too...did they conveniently not notice? I saw you stop to talk to a few of them.

As a side note, we caught lots of little farts that evening, and oh the mosquitos!

Lefty-Canuck
05-31-2011, 08:01 PM
Hey Lefty! Glad to have found you here. I haven't posted here in ages but have been lurking around lately.

My dad and boyfriend and I were there when you stomped over and "busted" those guys, we were unloading our little green boat. I couldn't figure out what you were doing at first and then it became apparent, and I was proud! Oh it made me SO mad when they tossed those fish back in the water, seeing them flop off the banks...just urgh!!

Should I call and back you up, so to speak? I saw it all too, all three of us did. Although I can't remember what day it was, or the time :confused:

There were plenty of people there, and right beside them too...did they conveniently not notice? I saw you stop to talk to a few of them.

As a side note, we caught lots of little farts that evening, and oh the mosquitos!

Hey Outwalking! Welcome back....

Thanks for the support! Much appreciated......yah there was a bunch of folks there turning a blind eye.....which is ok (for them) but I personally just couldn't NOT say something.

I had to walk over there first just to see if my hunch was correct.....I just had to see how big the fish were these guys were keeping. Well when I found out you know the rest....:)

After I talked to those guys the other fisherman nearby chatted with me and gave me the kudos for speaking up....

No worries about calling, the F&W guy I spoke to said he will try to catch up with them and let them know people are being diligent and they WILL notice and make calls to the RAP line.

Thanks again for the support! Nice to hear that some people approve of my actions the other day. I don't think I was rude to them....just a bit loud and "matter of fact" !

Lefty

chubbdarter
05-31-2011, 08:08 PM
I appreciate everyones comments.....BUT. I must state to all the young fisherman out there......Do NOT confront potential poachers!!
F and W has very clear instructions on how they want us to participate in the RAP program and if followed properly....it has a high conviction rate.
We are not the law, we are not Charles Bronson, leave your phone booth at home and let the trained pros do their job.

Lefty-Canuck
05-31-2011, 08:16 PM
I appreciate everyones comments.....BUT. I must state to all the young fisherman out there......Do NOT confront potential poachers!!
F and W has very clear instructions on how they want us to participate in the RAP program and if followed properly....it has a high conviction rate.
We are not the law, we are not Charles Bronson, leave your phone booth at home and let the trained pros do their job.

X2

Although I stand by my actions 100% next time I will choose to not be so vocal and I will collect the information in a logical manner offering "best descriptions" that fit the situation and pass this information along to F&W. This was the first time I have ever called RAP and one of the first times I have seen such blatant disregard for the rules so my feelings on poachers shone through!

By the way if any of you meet me I am not an imposing figure in the least I just have a loud voice at times and i stand up for what I believe in :).......I was 1 they were 3 it could have ended up worse for me!

Lefty

FishingFrenzy
05-31-2011, 09:47 PM

Good advice chubb!

On another note, if you want to do something pro-active while waiting for RAP. Grab your camera and take pics of the guys, fish, vehicle, etc... just an idea...

Photoplex
05-31-2011, 09:50 PM
Good advice chubb!

On another note, if you want to do something pro-active while waiting for RAP. Grab your camera and take pics of the guys, fish, vehicle, etc... just an idea...

Even better, take a video. Most cameras and phones are capable.

If a photo is worth a thousand words, a video is easily worth a thousand photos.

the local angler
05-31-2011, 10:40 PM
with the sounds of all these reports of people abusing our natural resources it makes me wonder how strickt the laws are regarding the poachers. it sounds like a slap on the wrist if its not deturing them from being a repeat offender. i agree with a strickter policy regarding repeat offender of seisure of gear and vehicles and maybe jail time if fines are not paid??

chubbdarter
05-31-2011, 10:44 PM
Even better, take a video. Most cameras and phones are capable.

If a photo is worth a thousand words, a video is easily worth a thousand photos.

unless your as sneaky as the guys who make upskirt videos...i dnt recomeed taking any.....too high a chance they get suspicious.
Snap a sneaky pic and call it good if you can

ogre
06-02-2011, 09:01 AM
People like you will make a difference in the long run, maybe not everywhere, but at least locally. Kudos for being proactive and checked out the fishes before telling them off.
A suggestion would be that if you posted their license plate numbers and a simple description of their vehicle, members and those lurking on these forums will eventually meet up with these poachers and be aware of these guys. At the very least they'll have to find alternate transportation once their vehicle become too "hot" to handle.
As for F&W, they will eventually get the poachers and make the charges stick with each call (evidence) we submitted.
Everyone else, please keep up the good work on calling RAP.

Toirtis
06-02-2011, 09:11 AM

That has to do with the fact that Alberta has roughly 14x as many anglers to each body of water as does Saskatchewan, I expect.

Lefty-Canuck
06-02-2011, 09:15 AM
Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately after the uproar on another thread about me posting a somewhat description of the vehicle and occupants......I would actually fear that I could be implemented in a "witch hunt" for these guys. Trust me that is not, and never was my intention.

I do have the license plate written down as well as other descriptors and I passed it along to F&W. So I will let them do what they need to do.

Heaven forbid someone else fitting the description I gave was out fishing with his family or kids and someone ran them off (or worse) in a case of mistaken identity.

F&W need our eyes and ears out there. In as many years as I have been fishing and hunting I have only been stopped twice. Unfortunatly we have a vast province and they can't be everywhere checking everyone.

Lefty

C Taylor
06-02-2011, 09:26 AM
lefty, is that the sneaky places you go or the honest face? Last year I got checked twice in 24hr within 2 miles of my cabin! might of been the hard time I had given him about never seeing him that done that tho.

Lefty-Canuck
06-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Well I do tend to go in the back woods or hunt private property......and I am not a road hunter so likely I am in areas the F&W are usually not in. Last time I got stopped was on Pigeon Lake about 2 years ago and that was the time I forgot to sign my license.....but the officer was super friendly and passed me a pen to sign it then and there. The time before that was over 15-20 years ago when I was moose hunting with my Dad up by Bonnyville.

Lefty

wildman
06-02-2011, 09:38 AM
LIKE, LIKE, LIKE!!!!!!!!!:sHa_shakeshout:

Ken07AOVette
06-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Awesome Job LC, if you can make it to WSS Saturday for the AO meet I would like to shake your hand.

DiehardFishingMan
06-02-2011, 12:05 PM
Thank you Lefty-Canuck for doing that.

I agree with ishootbambi that I probably just monitor their action and call F&W right away. The reason I am doing this way is because of two reasons:

1) By confront them directly, you could put yourself in a dangerous position bacause not all of the Poachers will be scared-off or run away. We don't want to see you get hurt.

2) My friend, who is a memeber of law enforcement team, told me that unless the prosecutors have sure evidence to bring the people to the court they won't do anything. Especially in this kind of case, the porcher could have all kind of execuse or even deny it. You know our justice system is not always punish the bad people.
By calling F&W right away, F&W can do a lot of things to nail those pochers.

This is just my two cents. The most impontant thing is that we don't want you getting hurt.

Tredeb
06-02-2011, 12:12 PM

That is a typical liberal attitude that lets criminals get away with things.

"don't say any thing let the authorities handle it"

Maybe if we all spoke up and told them they were poaching, they would find it harder to poach. You don't have to confront them in an aggressive way, but a simple coment like, " do you realize that those fish are to small to keep?" would suffice.

Seems like these guys bail whenever someone points out their poaching, so if we all point it out, they will not be able to poach.

Or, we could just put our heads in the sand and ignore the problem......NOT!

Toirtis
06-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Maybe if we all spoke up and told them they were poaching, they would find it harder to poach.

Perhaps, but one does need to exercise care and to carefully assess each situation...many poachers can get quite confrontational when approached.

DiehardFishingMan
06-02-2011, 12:17 PM
WOW. That really ticks me off.

Can't F&W confiscate equipment for repeat offenders? Take all their rods/lures/tackle for a first try. IF they seem them out again, impound the van.

I appreciate what F&W is trying to do, and yes this will catch up with these guys at some point but in the meantime they are contributing to our failing fisheries...

I believe that only judge can do that but the prosecutor have to bring hard and solid evidence to the court

DiehardFishingMan
06-02-2011, 12:23 PM

Maybe if we all spoke up and told them they were poaching, they would find it harder to poach. You don't have to confront them in an aggressive way, but a simple coment like, " do you realize that those fish are to small to keep?" would suffice.

Seems like these guys bail whenever someone points out their poaching, so if we all point it out, they will not be able to poach.

"Maybe if we all spoke up and told them they were poaching, they would find it harder to "

I don't think that a lot of Poachers really care what we say. The only reason that they may go away is because they don't want to get report then fined by F&W. They will come back continuing poaching once we left. By calling F&W, there are higher chace that those procher get nailed and fined.

chubbdarter
06-02-2011, 12:25 PM

lol....ive called RAP 7 times....EVERYTIME it lead to a confiction.....it works. Did this lead to a conficton???
Its not my job to educate people who dont want to read the REGS.....let the CO's tag them all.

yaah im a liberal.....lol..hahhahahaahahaa

Photoplex
06-02-2011, 12:31 PM
<snipped a load of macho BS>

Are you... John Wayne?! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

http://www.nndb.com/people/605/000023536/jw-sm.jpg

ogre
06-02-2011, 01:30 PM
Perhaps, but one does need to exercise care and to carefully assess each situation...many poachers can get quite confrontational when approached.

My main goal when I'm out there is to relax, de-stress and have fun. I'm sure I can afford a few minutes to make the call to RAP to keep the sport open and accessible to all like-minded people. However, if it is safe to do so, I'd like to ascertain that they are indeed poachers, and not some doofus who'd neglected to brush up on the regs by giving him/her a chance to do the right thing.
Like Tredeb says, usually the poachers will pack-up and leave once their gig is blown. If the call make them nervous and leave, then it means they are less likely to return if everyone is on them with the calls to F&W. Note too that I'm not advocating vigilante action, just calling F&W to make it difficult for them to settle down and do their poaching.

Gust
06-02-2011, 02:36 PM
I'm a pretty big guy and I stumbled upon 3 Walleye poachers at MacGregor and I kid ye not, it was me and them and not a single soul for miles,, and I was very uncomfortable as I happened across their catch and got a look from them of "it's just us and you". I memorised their plate and called it in after they left,, but seriously, I was a bit more than scared and humored it up and carried on. One of the fish was easily 10 pounds.

There are numerous situations that call for different actions.

ice
06-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Thats it bOys time tp up the ante, bigger punishment!
Didnt pinch your barbs? 10,000$ fine
Kept a fish too small, 5 year jail time, unconditional 500,000$ Fine
Too many over your limit? 20 years to Life,
Repeat offender? CAPITAL PUNISHMENT

Im joking of course... But the really need to start giving higher penalties

cranky
06-02-2011, 07:33 PM
What he said.^^^^^
They need to not worry about being politically correct and nail those who are guilty big time in the wallet and belongings.

Tredeb
06-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Are you... John Wayne?! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

http://www.nndb.com/people/605/000023536/jw-sm.jpg

So it is macho to point out that someone is breaking the law? I am just saying, by the sounds of it, there were many people around and only one of our own members had the nerve to call these guys on their actions.

You may think it is BS, but I wouldn't stand around and watch without saying something to these guys.

Each situation is different and requires different actions, it is up to each of us to decide what our actions will be. I just feel that if a few more of us made it uncomfortable for these poachers that it may curb their actions a bit.

Lefty-Canuck
06-04-2011, 04:52 PM
I attended the Coal Lake clean up today. Was nice to get together with a few like minded members and do some good for the look of the North shore on Coal.

One thing a little disturbing is we found a spot where someone filleted 6-7 undersize pike and dumped the carcasses in the water. In our little walk around the north to clean up other peoples garbage in addition to those 6-7 fish carcasses we found a few more undersize filleted fish laying around.......pretty sad that people do that crap.

Lefty