PDA

View Full Version : Pike/Walleye near but outside of Edmonton

muchdutch
05-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Hi all,

I think this is my first post. I just started fishing last year (except for a bit of ice fishing with grandma when I was younger) and am totally hooked!
I'm starting a new friend on fishing tomorrow too - looking for somewhere for pike/walleye around, but outside of, Edmonton. Ideally, I'd like to have a good chance she will catch something so she can have a great first experience like mine was last year.
Does anybody have any leads on lakes around Edmonton (<=2hrs drive) where we'll have good chances at catching something - anything (even if just catch and release)?
Thanks.

muchdutch

PS - love the boards, check them often, great advice!

Smasher
05-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Pigeon Lake.Fish from the provincial park side and you should catch a few nice walleye and the odd pike.

muchdutch
05-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the (quick!) advice smasher - I'm considering Pigeon or Mink lake. Any experience with Mink?
We do have a dinghy and will be heading out on that just to get a bit more privacy and relaxation. We'll start on the park side and head out from there if you think that's best.
I'll definitely pull the topo map off and hopefully we'll have the best luck honing in on them that way too.

FishingFrenzy
05-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Mink is full of small perch and some skinny pike (apparently). It could have winterkilled.

Wabuman is good for some C&R pike. Jackfish out by stony plain is decent for some small pike and walleye.

Pigeon like said above.

You also have Gull and Sylvan down near Red Deer

You also have quite a few options up north of the city like Long Lake but im not well aquainted with the area.

Tight lines and make sure to pick up your licenses and REGS!

Goodddluck

Cal
05-28-2011, 06:35 PM
When I lived in the city the NSR was about as good as anywhere else so long as you dont want to eat any fish. Wabamun beats it for pike and Pigeon is probably a bit better for walleye but at this time of year with limited boat capabilitys I'd be fishing the NSR. If you want some more specific advice PM me and I will do my best to help you get your lady friend into some fish.

carterM
05-28-2011, 08:21 PM
I'd have to suggest Wabamun. I've been out there 3 times this past week and the least amount of fish we've caught between 2 of us is 8 (Monday when it was raining. ps. don't take the gf out fishing in the cold and rain...). And the size is incredible. We haven't gone a day without something 8 lbs or more. That's from shore. I'm not 100% sure about this but I think the pike are still shallow and haven't moved out into deeper water yet after spawning. In other words, this probably won't last long.

Thundercatcher
05-28-2011, 10:25 PM
cool! Is there a good spot to fish from shore?

Geezle
05-28-2011, 10:29 PM
When I lived in the city the NSR was about as good as anywhere else so long as you dont want to eat any fish. Wabamun beats it for pike and Pigeon is probably a bit better for walleye but at this time of year with limited boat capabilitys I'd be fishing the NSR. If you want some more specific advice PM me and I will do my best to help you get your lady friend into some fish.

NSR is a mess right now. Water is waaay high and there's a lot of debris coming down. Fishable, but just barely.

Take the dingy out on Wabamun, just about anywhere, and you should get into some decent pike action :cool:

BGSH
05-29-2011, 12:56 AM
I'd have to suggest Wabamun. I've been out there 3 times this past week and the least amount of fish we've caught between 2 of us is 8 (Monday when it was raining. ps. don't take the gf out fishing in the cold and rain...). And the size is incredible. We haven't gone a day without something 8 lbs or more. That's from shore. I'm not 100% sure about this but I think the pike are still shallow and haven't moved out into deeper water yet after spawning. In other words, this probably won't last long.

I have caught 15 pound plus pike from shore at wabamun, some pike dont care and cruise the shallows all year round :sHa_shakeshout:

ice
05-29-2011, 01:34 AM
Umm new fisher... Like in alberta... Near edmonton..... Wabamun, you fish that lake. Well lets say.... Hooked for LIFE

ice
05-29-2011, 01:39 AM
That lake is worth every bit of effort you throw at it

Tyangelo
05-29-2011, 10:21 AM
Agreed. Wab or Pigeon. I myself used to fish Mink all the time... When I could get a Canoe in through the back way. That was before my wheelin' truck was stolen. Can't get in there now. Used to produce ok. But from dealing with paying $10 every time, and their stinky beaches, I won't be returning there.

muchdutch
05-29-2011, 08:27 PM
Change of plans. After the advice on the board, today we decided to go to Wabamun. Were going to launch from the boat launch area in the townsite, but the majority in the car (read: not me) thought it best ot go somewhere smaller if we weren't actually launching a "real" boat. So we headed to Seba. And fished everything everywhere.
And got totally skunked!
Tried the shallows as suggested, however it seems they may have gone out to the deeps.
Next attempt: Pigeon.

edit: ps - got my licence renewed yesterday, got the new girl her WIN and licence, and got my regs - so I'm on top of it!

Jwood 456
05-29-2011, 08:38 PM
cool! Is there a good spot to fish from shore?

The old inlet located near the wabamun plant has produced very well for me the majority of the days I fished from shore there.

Gja3106
06-24-2014, 08:17 PM
Hi all,

I think this is my first post. I just started fishing last year (except for a bit of ice fishing with grandma when I was younger) and am totally hooked!
I'm starting a new friend on fishing tomorrow too - looking for somewhere for pike/walleye around, but outside of, Edmonton. Ideally, I'd like to have a good chance she will catch something so she can have a great first experience like mine was last year.
Does anybody have any leads on lakes around Edmonton (<=2hrs drive) where we'll have good chances at catching something - anything (even if just catch and release)?
Thanks.

muchdutch

PS - love the boards, check them often, great advice!

The best I have ever fished and won't go anywhere else is Slave Lake. The Walleye are crazy right now. Using a pickrell rig and catching two at a time. Average size is about 46cm or so..