PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a trolling baitcast setup

Ace
05-29-2011, 10:43 AM
I've never owned a baitcast or levelwind style reel. I'm looking to add one to my arsenal. Mostly for pike, but also for some walleye. I plan to use it mostly for trolling, but would like to be able to use it for some (but limited) casting.

I've not set my mind on a reel with a line counter, but I like the idea of having one as part of the reel (for this one).

I've looked at the Calcutta and it seems to be a nice unit (except for the lack of line counter). I know that Penn and Abu make some as well that would fit the bill.

Thoughts and advice would be great. As well, what rod would you recommend. Probably looking to match it with a $100 - $200 rod.

Thanks for all your help.
Ace

jd338
05-29-2011, 10:52 AM
I am running a Calcutta on a Shimano Bob Izumi 7' trigger style casting rod. I use it for Pike and Lake Trout trolling and occassionally casting. I am really pleased with it. I have another reel with a line counter on it that I use downrigging for trout but i have never felt the need for a line counter on the calcutta rig.

REDLINE
05-29-2011, 11:12 AM
I got an Abu Garcia C3 for Christmas. So far I really like this reel even though its only the second baitcasting reel that I've owned.

Its pretty nice for trolling since you can put a ton of line on it. I actually really like it for casting too. It's not really that good for throwing light stuff but I use it for casting the heavy artillery anyways!

Ace
05-30-2011, 06:44 AM
I am running a Calcutta on a Shimano Bob Izumi 7' trigger style casting rod. I use it for Pike and Lake Trout trolling and occassionally casting. I am really pleased with it. I have another reel with a line counter on it that I use downrigging for trout but i have never felt the need for a line counter on the calcutta rig.

Do you have the 200 series or do you use a bigger one?

slipbobber
05-30-2011, 07:08 AM
I had 2 Abu Garcia line counter reels. Sent them both back because they were garbage. The reason I bought a line counter reel was to be able to have a lure behind the boat the same distance every time. The line counters would start skipping when line was being let out so you could not count on the line counters. Just ordered 2 Okuma line counter reels last night. A little more expensive than the Abu Garcia but hopefully they work alot better.

slipbobber
06-01-2011, 10:57 PM
No one else use linecounter reels on this site? Was interested in what reel you use and how you like it.

chubbdarter
06-02-2011, 12:08 AM
if you do lot of BB for walleye...check out the quantum code...has a sweet feature kelly from the Hole showed me

freeones
06-02-2011, 10:00 AM
No one else use linecounter reels on this site? Was interested in what reel you use and how you like it.

Shimano Tekota. Pricey, but best there is.

Cal
06-02-2011, 05:24 PM
I got an Abu Garcia C3 for Christmas. So far I really like this reel even though its only the second baitcasting reel that I've owned.

Its pretty nice for trolling since you can put a ton of line on it. I actually really like it for casting too. It's not really that good for throwing light stuff but I use it for casting the heavy artillery anyways!

X2 on the Ambasadeur C3's, I've owned a 5000 and a 6500 and they were some of my favorite reels that I've owned. I heard that they've moved production from Sweden to china though, the good news is that most of the fishing shops I've been to still have the Swedish ones. Go buy one now cause in a few years I imagine the price on a Swedish made Ambasadeur will be going up.

bobalong
06-02-2011, 06:56 PM
I have a Shimano Bantam 1500, it has one of the smaller profiles for a line counter reel. Also have an Okuma which works well to.

freeones
06-03-2011, 08:18 AM
Shimano Tekota. Pricey, but best there is.

I should add that I would recommend the 500LC. It's only slightly bigger/heavier than the 300LC, and the added weight and size is really not a factor, because chances are the rod will spend most of it's life in a rod holder anyway. The drag on the 500LC is better (stronger), it holds more line (if you ever want to use if for something other than walleye that could be really important), and I just prefer the feel of it. It has more power when reeling in and the handle is just more comfortable to me.

You could buy 2 or 3 cheaper ones and end up spending more money in the end, or you can bite the bullet and pick up a Tekota, it'll be the last line counter reel you buy and you'll love how well it works every time you use it.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
06-03-2011, 08:38 AM
Ace go down and see Trevor at the Reel doctor he has all sorts of linecounter reels .That way you can pick up and look at what you Some very highend reels aswell want . I bought a Okuma reel with linecounter from him , great reel spooled it with that suffex 832 or whatever they call it its greatly matched up and sits on a 10 ft medium heavy action catfish rod .

Ace
06-05-2011, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the great tips. I'm going to have a look at the Shimano Tekota and the Ambasadeur C3. They look and sound like a nice trolling reel.

I sure like the built in line counter of the Tekota though.

See ya
Ace

Cal
06-05-2011, 08:09 AM
If you look at c3's the 5000 or 4600 is better for general freshwater use but the 6500 will hold enough line for salmon fishing if thats somthing you might be interested in. As well its got a clicker on it which is nice for fishing bait, wont pitch jigs so well but once you get a feel for it you can toss around walley sized cranks pretty easy. I like the 6500 beacause I feel its capabilitys start where my spinning rig's stop, where as my smaller baitcasters do pretty much the same thing as my spinning rigs without much advantage.

beehive
06-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Okuma is junk, diawa make the best baitcasters, i would also recommend a one piece rod ,they have way better feel .

lifesaflyin
06-05-2011, 09:44 AM
Okuma is junk, diawa make the best baitcasters, i would also recommend a one piece rod ,they have way better feel .

I agree. back in the 80's my grandfather bought me a diawa, still have it. that thing is 100 times better than any of my brand new open faced reels. I suspect it will last me a lifetime.

bought an okuma last year, ended up throwing it out last year too. what a pile of crap.

Ace
06-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Hmmm...the c3 5500 is on sale online at WSS for $80. The Tekato is $195. Is a line counter worth that much?

Maybe I'll try the c3 this season and if I love the style I can upgrade in a year or two and pass the c3 to my son in a couple years.

Is the Tekato that much better of a reel?

Thanks for everyone's input.
Ace

Cal
06-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Hmmm...the c3 5500 is on sale online at WSS for $80. The Tekato is $195. Is a line counter worth that much?

Maybe I'll try the c3 this season and if I love the style I can upgrade in a year or two and pass the c3 to my son in a couple years.

Ace

The Abu reels are more compact than similar sized Shimanos, as well they its not a model that has or will be changed or dropped. 10 years from now you will be able to get parts no problem. The same can not be said for many reel Companies.

A c3 will be about $100 bucks, the bcx models are cheaper but I would stay clear of them. As well the new china made models are cheaper but I'd wait a couple years and see how those work out.

walleyeca
06-05-2011, 11:24 PM
Take a good look at the new daiwa digital line counter series with 3 ball bearings and as small as a baitcaster and I own a few and they rock for cranking for the big eyes!!!

freeones
06-06-2011, 09:40 AM

Ace

Yes and no.

Is it a much better reel? My opinion, yes.

Is it really worth $200. No, but what is. If you shop around and check EBay, you'll be able to find one for a lot less than $200.

I look at it this way - A tank of gas in the truck is $120+ and gone in a day, nothing is cheap, so spending a little more money now and buying a top quality reel that you'll use and enjoy for years is a good lifetime investment.

P.S. Ever watch River Monsters? Check out the reels Jeremy Wade uses - Shimano Tekotas!

goodleo
06-06-2011, 09:51 PM
Just bought an ABU c3 6501 today. 1st bait caster I have owned. Seems nice compared to some other brands. Still made in Sweden!! Would not buy a China one! We will see how it does on some lake trout this weekend.