PDA

View Full Version : Favorite fly patterns?

Backwoods boy
05-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Hey ya'll
I'm just getting into fly fishing and am tying all my own some stuff and was wondering what you think are "must-have" flies or even just what your favorites are in your tackle box.

Thanks.

Scott N
05-30-2011, 10:53 AM
I'd have to say that the fly that I've caught the most fish on would be a wooly bugger, especially black, purple, or olive. It will work on a variety of species and conditions.

Mr.goldeye
05-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Elk hair caddis, h and l variant, green humpy and stimulators in multiple colors for drys, Idaho nymph, copper John, bead head price nymph and lightning bug for nymphs

TyreeUM
05-30-2011, 11:10 AM
Supervisor...that thing is incredible

Pudelpointer
05-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Supervisor...that thing is incredible

Uhhhh, should this be in PMs?

I hope you get that raise!

Pudelpointer
05-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Hey ya'll
I'm just getting into fly fishing and am tying all my own some stuff and was wondering what you think are "must-have" flies or even just what your favorites are in your tackle box.

Thanks.

I am assuming you are fishing for trout. Lakes? Creeks? It makes a difference.

Some flies that are indispensable in both would include the already mentioned Wooly Bugger (add rusty brown to that list), Prince Nymphs (beaded and plain), PTN (AKA Pheasant Tail Nymphs beaded and plain, with/out epoxy backs), GRHE (Gold Ribbed Hares Ear - beaded/plain), various Caddis pupa patterns, scuds and of course CHIRONOMIDS (black, green, red various sizes, with/out white beads, with/out poly).

For lakes I would add water boatmen, damsel nymphs, dragon nymphs, Tom Thumbs for adult caddis, more scud styles, many more chironomids and in larger sizes, and maybe some streamers like Clouser Minnows in Olive/White, Red/Wht, Blk/Wht, Chartreuse/Wht. I have recently tied some Booby flies I am going to try soon (will report).

For rivers/streams I would add Elk Hair Caddis (tan, olive, yellow in many sizes), Evil Weevil, cone headed buggers and streamers, BWO (Blue Winged Olives - mayflies in 14-18), some CDC emergers (all sizes and colours), hoppers (foam and other), Stimulators, Adams (size 12 - as small as you can tie), Royal Coachmen (size 10 - 16), and I do not like to say it - but the Chernobyl Ant is very popular.

As you can see from the above list, a lot of us tie during the winter, instead of during the season!