PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Lake vs Gull Lake

ADIDAFish
05-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Hi All,

I'm staying at Buffalo Lake by Red Deer this weekend and I'll be fishing with a boat on Saturday. We're wondering if we should drive to Gull lake or just fish at Buffalo. We like pike fishing but any action is good action. We haven't fished either lake. We tried to launch at Gull last October but the launch on the south side was too shallow.

What lake do you think is better for fishing? Where is the best place to launch and general area to fish? I have read other threads on the narrows which sounds interesting but not too advantageous to have a boat. We won't be keeping any fish so we don't mind that the narrows is C & R. Thanks for the help!

DirkDiggler
05-30-2011, 01:03 PM
I live on Gull Lake and have a cabin on Buffalo lake. When I say stay to fish Buffalo it is not a shot at Gull, it is just that Buffalo is a great lake to fish and it is full of monster Pike as well as Ling. It all depends on what area of the lake you are staying at. If you are camping at the Narrows Provincial campgroud you can fish from shore (spoons, spinners as well as a smelt sitting on the bottom) all work however it is all C&R unless you follow the narrows to the east out into the main bay. If you camp at Rochon Sands you will need the boat, however there is a great boat launch so getting the boat in and out will not be a problem. Once you start fishing you will see a small rock island just out from the marina fish around that, north of the island is anywhere from 2-8 ft. of water and then drops off to 11ft. on the west side. Drop in some Rapela's (4-8ft. divers) or spoons. Just circle the island and let the fun begin. Good Luck thats my honey hole, but don't tell anyone ok. HAHA enjoy Dirkdiggler

ADIDAFish
05-30-2011, 01:24 PM
I live on Gull Lake and have a cabin on Buffalo lake. When I say stay to fish Buffalo it is not a shot at Gull, it is just that Buffalo is a great lake to fish and it is full of monster Pike as well as Ling. It all depends on what area of the lake you are staying at. If you are camping at the Narrows Provincial campgroud you can fish from shore (spoons, spinners as well as a smelt sitting on the bottom) all work however it is all C&R unless you follow the narrows to the east out into the main bay. If you camp at Rochon Sands you will need the boat, however there is a great boat launch so getting the boat in and out will not be a problem. Once you start fishing you will see a small rock island just out from the marina fish around that, north of the island is anywhere from 2-8 ft. of water and then drops off to 11ft. on the west side. Drop in some Rapela's (4-8ft. divers) or spoons. Just circle the island and let the fun begin. Good Luck thats my honey hole, but don't tell anyone ok. HAHA enjoy Dirkdiggler

Thanks Dirkdiggler! We'll be on the north shore off of range road 210. It would be nice to avoid the drive to Gull so that we can have more fishing time. I appreciate the honey hole and I'll make sure the handle the fish with care so that they'll be in good shape for you the next time!

decker
05-30-2011, 01:36 PM
Fishing has been slow in the Narrows the last couple days. The big females are holding up in the first bay out from the Narrows.

Rancid Crabtree
05-30-2011, 02:31 PM
someone above mentioned fishing for ling at buffalo. Any tips on how to and gear ? I've never caught them before but would like to try.
Thanks

DirkDiggler
05-30-2011, 08:48 PM
Just treble hook a smelt and throw it on the bottom, put a bell on your rod and then crack a beer. Find the appropriate loction on the lake where you think they should be hanging out then have at it. There will be a good chance you will pick up quite a few Pike/Walleye depending on the lake your at but you will get them as well.

DirkDiggler
05-30-2011, 08:56 PM
I find that you will do well in the narrows with that set up, however no Walleye of course. This is the time to catch some of those big females in the Narrows 10 lbs. + pike should be common as well as good size Ling using this set up. I pulled an 18 lbs. out of there last spring with multiples in the 8-12 lbs. range. No one else around was getting a sniff who was not using smelts. The only thing I will say is just watch your rod as to not let the fish inhale the smelt so it is an easy C&R and not leathal to the fish.

Dust1n
05-30-2011, 09:00 PM
how far can you travel up th narrows untill you start loosing bigger pike?

Hollingsworth
06-01-2011, 09:22 AM
sounds like a fun place to fish, is it a good place to take my 13 year old and fish from shore thanks happy fishin

DirkDiggler
06-01-2011, 09:59 AM
The narrows is great for fishing with kids, there is a really nice little campground with camping stalls accross the road from the water so you can easily watch the kids while you sit at camp. The water right now from reports is running a little quicker and higher than normal, usually it is about 5-6 ft deep running through the main channel. As for how far the big pike will run up the Narrows, I have never taken a boat into the far west head of the Narrows. The furthest west I have fished is at the end of the campground, once the summer sun warms this shallow lake usually the bigger fish will start heading to the deeper main part of the lake.

ADIDAFish
06-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Well, I'm back from Buffalo. We fished the north side from docks on Friday night, the narrows Saturday evening, and around rock/bird island yesterday and were skunked. We had a follower on the north side and we did see fish being caught at the narrows and they were using spoons like us. Also we did see lots of fish on the fish finder on the south side of bird island but they weren't hungry. Oh well, that's the luck of the draw sometimes.

The Copenhagen Kid
06-07-2011, 11:04 PM
was out there sunday night, and most of monday also, staying at pelican point, but fishing all over....caught a handful of fish at both bird island, and rocon sands area, none in the area of pelican though.. Never made it to the narrow. was slower than usual out there, but all in all, was not a bad stop on the way home from a weekend of camping elsewhere! (most were caught in 6-10 feet of water)