PDA

View Full Version : Goldeye fishing near Goldbar?

smitty9
05-30-2011, 08:29 PM
Hi everyone:

I have a flyfishing club at the school I do most of my teaching at. I'm taking the kids this Thursday out to Goldbar park to practice casting.

So I was wondering what the chances of them actually catching any goldeye are.

I want to use dry flies so they see how current affects the fly's drift. Plus, its pretty exciting when a fish strikes a dry fly.

Now, I ask that question notwithstanding the high water the river has right now. If the river was lower, is Goldbar a good spot for goldeye? Is it a seasonal thing? (don't need your gps coordinates to your secret honey hole, just meant in general :) ).

Was just wondering...

Thanks in advance,
Smitty

0liver
06-03-2011, 09:24 AM
gold bar, atleast at the spillway, is completely blown out. if i were you try going to whitemud creek and head up the creek a little.. around twilight in the morning and evening i see 100's of goldeye surfacing, kind of makes me want to pick up the ol' fly rod.

ps. don't tell anyone but theres 1 or 2 big pike in there too :o

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
06-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Hi everyone:

I have a flyfishing club at the school I do most of my teaching at. I'm taking the kids this Thursday out to Goldbar park to practice casting.

So I was wondering what the chances of them actually catching any goldeye are.

I want to use dry flies so they see how current affects the fly's drift. Plus, its pretty exciting when a fish strikes a dry fly.

Now, I ask that question notwithstanding the high water the river has right now. If the river was lower, is Goldbar a good spot for goldeye? Is it a seasonal thing? (don't need your gps coordinates to your secret honey hole, just meant in general :) ).

Was just wondering...

Thanks in advance,
Smitty

In all honesty youd have better luck going to a trout pond like Hermatage and catch them things there . Water is still merky and flowing pretty quick and pretty high , all though its dropped in the past 2 days .

0liver
06-03-2011, 10:21 AM
I Water is still merky and flowing pretty quick and pretty high , all though its dropped in the past 2 days .

the high and murkey water is actually benefiting the whitemud hole, water is actually flowing UPSTREAM the creek because of the NSR's high water level. Atleast this is how it was 2 or 3 days ago.. If you try right near the concrete highway bridge you should be able to grab more then a dozen gold eye just look for them surfacing in large schools you will see hundreds of little nips at the surface. Try using a mosquito or stonefly pattern as there are swarms around the creek.

Safety D
06-03-2011, 08:11 PM
River is blown out. Its a writeoff !!!!

BGSH
06-04-2011, 12:14 AM
river is awsome, catching tonns in whitemud creek on the flyrod, you guys are crazy fishing is awsome, goodluck

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
06-04-2011, 12:33 AM

Are you on glue , do you ever leave the confines of your house ? In fact the water is way down from where it was a even 2 days ago . Is very manageable to fish right now . Spent 8 hrs there today in fact .

buckmaster
06-04-2011, 12:37 AM

LOL, its not DEAD ??

vettedreamer
08-12-2011, 11:08 AM

Just had to go looking :dork: :evilgrin:

Hey Safety thats the first post "its dead" in awhile and quite a time ago You must be having a Hall of year fishing:waiting4:

smitty9
08-12-2011, 11:28 PM
So can I assume if I am back at the same school and I take the kids down to the river at Goldbar (we're now talking September) I can expect to catch some fish, due improved water levels.

If so, where should I go? I just want the kids to catch some fish. I guess I am asking for a near exact spot...lol. Or, put it another way, where is the Goldbar outflow from the treatment plant. Do I just head a little downstream?

I appreciate any help you can give, and so do the kids!

Smitty

alodar
08-12-2011, 11:35 PM
LOL, its not DEAD ??

Good one lino

BGSH
08-12-2011, 11:37 PM
forget goldeye at goldbar, fish for walleye at goldbar

smitty9
08-12-2011, 11:53 PM
-sigh-

BGSH:

The whole point is to get the kids to fish and catch with a dry fly. Don't want to put on the clouser minnows to go after the walleye.

So my original question is still pending...goldeye at goldbar. Yes? Possible?

Smitty
(And can we keep the hi-jacking about "its dead, not its not" cadence to a minimum..)

BGSH
08-13-2011, 12:10 AM
sorry, yes you can fish for goldeye at goldbar, easy access for the family for sure, my bet though if you could go to hermitage park for goldeye fish there, did it last year, it was awsome, but have seen goldeye jump at goldbar before, give either place a shot at fly fishing, both spots are easy access and terrific spots for the family, cheers

NSRfishing
08-13-2011, 12:15 AM
lol family

0liver
08-13-2011, 12:59 PM
-sigh-

BGSH:

The whole point is to get the kids to fish and catch with a dry fly. Don't want to put on the clouser minnows to go after the walleye.

So my original question is still pending...goldeye at goldbar. Yes? Possible?

Smitty
(And can we keep the hi-jacking about "its dead, not its not" cadence to a minimum..)

get a fly that rides high, and toss it into the foam line at goldbar... they will rise and take...

so the answer is yes.. you can...