PDA

View Full Version : looking for a spot on friday??

sirk
06-01-2011, 03:37 PM
hey guys

i need to get to calgary by friday night and am currently in edmonton. I would love to do some fly fishing for trout on the way down as i have all day friday to kill. What spots would you recomend? Red Deer River? I know the bow is shut down inside of calgary but what would you guys do? where would you go? Thanks for any and all replies

Chris.

Dust1n
06-01-2011, 08:53 PM
id go to some stocked ponds of pigeon for some eyes on the fly.

Twobits
06-01-2011, 11:38 PM
RDR is pretty murky and fast from what i seen today. I'd head too Burbank. 10km Outside of Red Deer.

sirk
06-01-2011, 11:50 PM
so no one recomends the bow or RDR? i got a bunch of streamers and have fished fast water before. i just need a decent spot to start. im really a river/stream guy when it comes down to it. thank you for the responses so far.

BGSH
06-01-2011, 11:54 PM
from red deer take a right and go to nordegg, plenty of streams there to fish but just make sure yhou check your regs is see if they are open yet, shunda river, and many trout ponds by the highway 11, and nordegg trout ponds dont winterkill has some 5 pounders in the east and west pond, and the nsr south of nordegg has awsome fishing, gluck

Twobits
06-01-2011, 11:56 PM
Burbank makes a great spot then since it's where the Blindman River meets the RDR. You can either fish the calm and clear Blindman or try the RDR. I see people flyfish there all the time.

sirk
06-02-2011, 12:08 AM
thanks guys! i am very familiar with the nordegg area, shunda and forrestry trunk road. I have never fished it this early in the year. Do you have any recommendations on the flies to use? i normally hit the shunda, ram and blackstone in july or august. thanks alot again.

chris.