PDA

View Full Version : Jig and Minnow question

Ace
12-20-2007, 07:55 AM
How do you guys hook your minnow with your jig?

I normally hook the minnow through the mouth then out through the top of the head. Normally works ok, but sometimes when they strike short, or the back of the minnow, I don't always get the hookset, and have just the head of the minnow left on my jig...

I'm thinking about starting to use a seperate stinger hook to stop this.

See ya
Ace

knight hunter
12-20-2007, 08:29 AM
What works for me is: I buy my jig's with the longest shank possible and that wasn't possible very often so I started making my own. I hold the minnow upside down, slide the hook into it's mouth and out it's back as far back as I can get it. This way it sits upright on the jig and increases the odds of catching those short strikers. I tried the stinger hooks and found that if there's pike where you fish, they'll bite off the stingers.

caddisman
12-20-2007, 01:23 PM
I found that when I used a stinger hook, I did not like the way the presentation was. Also, since everything is barbless I found that it did stay on that well. It was more anyoning for me. I also try to go as far back on the minnow even though you lose some action

brett01
12-20-2007, 01:42 PM
i also buy a long shank, and hook the minnow about half way through the body and run the tip of the hook out the top of the head. This way the minnow is on the hook better, less hanging off the hook for those "nibblers" that just like to steal you bait. And the tails still free to give the wounded motion. Their are so many different methods but i find this one works for me

knight hunter
12-21-2007, 07:58 AM
I gotta get out fishing more often(been 3 years now) as I made a mistake on my previous post. When I'm putting the minnow on the jig, I don't go thru the mouth.I put the point of the jig thru both eyes, then stick the point as far back in the minnow as possible trying to get as close as possible to the tail. The shank on the jigs I make is 2in long.