PDA

View Full Version : Wabamun Walleye??

BGSH
06-01-2011, 11:31 PM
Has anyone caught one of the 1400 walleye released into wabamun last year? and has anyone ever caught a burbot out of there?:thinking-006:

780sjc
06-02-2011, 12:59 AM
Caught quite a few burbs this past ice fishing season there. Haven't caught or seen any walleye yet on the cam.

NSRfishing
06-02-2011, 02:02 AM
i have had small walleye follow my lure never tried to bite it lure was same size as the walleye

BGSH
06-02-2011, 12:07 PM
is it just a rumor

pophouseman
06-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Spoke with F&W officers last saturday @ Lac St. Anne and they confirmed the walleye were transferred from there and lake Isle into Wabamun.

IMHO the monster pike in Wab had a great meal and now there are no walleye left......but maybe the pike will be larger.

pickrel pat
06-02-2011, 02:23 PM
give it a few years to establish themselves and im sure t6he lake will be over run with them.

Paul C
06-02-2011, 05:45 PM
give it a few years to establish themselves and im sure t6he lake will be over run with them.
On the other hand the huge pike will eat those walleye.......................................

ice
06-02-2011, 05:54 PM
And the big... Get bigger,
Hopefully it restores ballance to that lake..
Anyone ever see the perch or whites in wab, used to nail the whites hard at sundance... Not so much anymOre

pickrel pat
06-02-2011, 06:02 PM
On the other hand the huge pike will eat those walleye.......................................

with a healthy whitefish population, i believe they will target whitefish. big pike like the oily fish like whitefish and suckers.

Daceminnow
06-02-2011, 06:38 PM
is it just a rumor

No. some AO members were involved assisting F&W last summer on both Isle and LSA in this program.

http://www.srd.alberta.ca/Newsroom/SRDStories.aspx

http://shoresideinn.com/?p=152

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2010/07/13/edmonton-walleye-fish-lake-wabamun.html

alodar
06-02-2011, 09:53 PM
No. some AO members were involved assisting F&W last summer on both Isle and LSA in this program.

http://www.srd.alberta.ca/Newsroom/SRDStories.aspx

http://shoresideinn.com/?p=152

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2010/07/13/edmonton-walleye-fish-lake-wabamun.html

Theyre there i got one in the ice on a small len fod

alodar
06-02-2011, 09:57 PM
And the big... Get bigger,
Hopefully it restores ballance to that lake..
Anyone ever see the perch or whites in wab, used to nail the whites hard at sundance... Not so much anymOre

This winter ive seen tons of perch and quite a few whites. The perch were minnow sized infact the spot tail shiners were bigger.....

Jwood 456
06-02-2011, 10:02 PM

Hopefuly that's the case...lol

Many lakes in this province already are great walleye fisheries and I think Wabamun should keep its status for what I believe is one of "the best" pike fisheries in the province.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
06-02-2011, 10:49 PM
Hopefuly that's the case...lol

Many lakes in this province already are great walleye fisheries and I think Wabamun should keep its status for what I believe is one of "the best" pike fisheries in the province.

Its not that great though , they are not spawning the way they should be . Lots of Throphy sized fish in there yes but there are not deasent numbers of smaller fish ( hammer handles as some call them ) that grow into these large fish .

They need to start restoreing the natural spawning area's for the pike , walleye and so on to spawn in .

Sure Its nice to hook into 4 or 5 10 + pounders and even at a chance of 15 + in a day , but with do time those fish will die and what will be left ?

Look at place like coal lake or Medicine lake or north buck or so on and so on and so on . Your catching every size fish from the tiny 2 pounders to 10 - 15 lbers . That in my eyes is a great pike lake .

alodar
06-02-2011, 11:00 PM
I really dont see there being that few small pike there i think im going to target small ones this year to see for myself. Ive seen plenty this winter and the other day

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
06-02-2011, 11:19 PM
I really dont see there being that few small pike there i think im going to target small ones this year to see for myself. Ive seen plenty this winter and the other day

what is plenty ? 30 or 40 ? Wabamun is a huge lake my friend . I use to spend countless days on that lake , and will be agian come winter , but I can tell you in fishing that lake in the past 10 years , Ive caught maybe 50 pike in the 2lb range . And we were using the same set up and bait as we were at those other lakes I mentioned as we do Wabamun and still caught plenty of small ( hammerhandles ) pike .

alodar
06-02-2011, 11:23 PM
what is plenty ? 30 or 40 ? Wabamun is a huge lake my friend . I use to spend countless days on that lake , and will be agian come winter , but I can tell you in fishing that lake in the past 10 years , Ive caught maybe 50 pike in the 2lb range . And we were using the same set up and bait as we were at those other lakes I mentioned as we do Wabamun and still caught plenty of small ( hammerhandles ) pike .

The other day there was easily 2 dozen in that range between myself and the folks i was next to and yes the whole winter was probably that many through the ice im supposed to go tomorrow morning with ray-m so ill keep a tally amd i plan on bringing my under water camera

Jasonp
06-03-2011, 09:37 AM
Im with alodar. me n a buddy got like 25 2lb or less a week or so ago

pickrel pat
06-03-2011, 10:52 AM
wab has a few healthy year classes swimming in its waters. its fine.

tacklerunner
06-03-2011, 10:55 AM
is it just a rumor

Well that's what THEY are saying...;)

fishinggeek
06-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Wab pike population is fine. i dont know why you would say its not. got 15 1-2lbers last time out, including other ranges up to 35inch in 5hrs. We went to tobin in the winter time and all we caught 38inch plus, no jokes, in 2 days. got around 30 or so up to 44inch. So i guess tobin is done for also. hahaha.

Jwood 456
06-03-2011, 12:22 PM
When I fished Wab last summer off of point Allision, I would catch one hammer handle after the other until I had to leave that lake from big waves or and it was getting late out. They ranged from what I believe were 2 to 4lbers and I also have caught numerous 30'' + pike.

jonnyxp
06-15-2016, 08:14 PM
Was out June 13 me and buddy hooked into more than 100 walleye around 1lb or so

muzzy
06-16-2016, 08:50 AM
My girls and I caught a ton of smaller pike and walleyes ice fishing this past winter and I recall lots of posts about guys catching walleye thru ice this past winter

Vigsy
06-16-2016, 08:53 AM
theres some beastly eyes lurking around as well if you can keep the small ones and the hammer handles off.

LutherDLG
06-16-2016, 09:22 AM
Can't speak to this year, but the only time I was at Wab last summer I caught about 50 pike, and they were ALL in the 2 pound range. Super skinny. Also caught about dozen walleye - they're in there.

YeeHaw
06-16-2016, 05:40 PM
There is no walleye in Wab, pike gobbled them all up:bad_boys_20:

waterninja
06-16-2016, 08:24 PM
This is pure speculation, but it seems to me that once walleye get established in a lake, they are able to to take controll of it over pike. I know at Lac St. Anne the last few years the pike seem to be getting smaller and skinny and the wall eye getting larger. This is simply a personal observation, but I do wonder if Walleye are really more dominant and aggressive then Pike.