PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver Island

Eye Kraze
06-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Good Day;

Long time viewer and first time poster. I am heading out to the Parksville area for a week in early August and was wondering if anyone could put me on to a reputable guide that could take me and the boy out fishing for the day....any help would be appreciated......Thanks!

TUFFBUFF
06-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Go to the Fishing shop in Campbell River and tell em you want to go out, they'll hook you up. Don't know who's good or not, we went with Dolphins resort in augest also and turned out to be a 8 hr float on the ocean, it's hit and miss.

Pinks in the Campell R if you want to have some fun, C&R.

tacklerunner
06-02-2011, 06:04 PM
There's someone out of Qualicum Beach but can't recall the name. PM Tofinofish & he'll hook u up.

BGSH
06-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Good Day;

Long time viewer and first time poster. I am heading out to the Parksville area for a week in early August and was wondering if anyone could put me on to a reputable guide that could take me and the boy out fishing for the day....any help would be appreciated......Thanks!

fish sprout lake, or cowachin river or lake, huge fish there steel bows or browns, gluck

CDone
06-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Nile Creek Fly Shop is only 20 minutes north of Parksville, sure they can help you out for fishing on that side of the Island.

Colin

hirsche23
06-02-2011, 10:01 PM
Go talk to Courtney at the Nile Creek Flyshop. It's north on the old island hiway around Bowser i think? Better to call first and book him because he gets pretty busy in the summer. His shop isn't always open so call him, you won't be dissapointed.

hirsche23
06-02-2011, 10:07 PM
If you want to hit some salmon on a boat call Don Graves. He operates Good Times Charters out of the French Creek Marina. He's a great guy too. Not sure if you wanted to flyfish or troll.

Jwood 456
06-02-2011, 10:07 PM
I hear that one or more of the large beeches in that area are great casting from shore fisheries for pink salmon. I would use a kitimat spoon or blue fox pixy spoon with orange, red, or pink on it because those colours closely match the colour of the krill they primarily feed on.

EDIT: I almost also forgot to mention that one or more docks in the area offer great crabbing.

Eye Kraze
06-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the replies

browning375
06-03-2011, 02:36 PM
I hear that one or more of the large beeches in that area are great casting from shore fisheries for pink salmon. I would use a kitimat spoon or blue fox pixy spoon with orange, red, or pink on it because those colours closely match the colour of the krill they primarily feed on.

EDIT: I almost also forgot to mention that one or more docks in the area offer great crabbing.

Your not advised to eat the shell fish close to shore that far down the island due to Red Tide bacteria.

boot
06-03-2011, 03:16 PM
Your not advised to eat the shell fish close to shore that far down the island due to Red Tide bacteria.

This is the first time I'ver heard of a red tide warning for crabs. I looked it up on the dfo site and sure enough, red tide can be an issue if you cook/eat the internal organs of the crab. Most people don't, so if you only eat the legs, it should be ok... but check the dfo site and the red tide warnings to be sure.

Tofinofish
06-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Good Day;

Eye Kraze,

Not sure if you are looking for a freshwater or Saltwater Day trip, but we have been hosting guests staying in the P-Ville area on day trips out to Tofino for over 15 seasons. I know the whole island and many guides, so would be glad to give you more specific recommendations if you provide more detailed interest. If you are focused on a Salmon/Halibut type of fishing trip, feel free to check out our web link for more info.
Early August is peak season....

Regards,

J.

browning375
06-04-2011, 10:16 AM
This is the first time I'ver heard of a red tide warning for crabs. I looked it up on the dfo site and sure enough, red tide can be an issue if you cook/eat the internal organs of the crab. Most people don't, so if you only eat the legs, it should be ok... but check the dfo site and the red tide warnings to be sure.

I lived in Lantzville, just outside of Nanaimo for 10 years and know that area fairly well. My father use to charter out of schooner cove,so he knows alot about the area and what is good to eat and whats not. They water quality is not that great close to shore compared to the northern part of the island.

Jwood 456
06-04-2011, 10:37 AM

Yikes! When I was there in 2002 they didn't seem to have a red tide issue with crabs there and thought it just affected clams. That's definitely an eye opener knowing that red tide can also occur in crabs!

Also, X2 it is definitely good to check DFO's website.

Here's an easy link to their website and the fishing zones around the island.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/index-eng.htm

Jwood 456
06-04-2011, 12:32 PM
I also found some detailed info about red tide and other shell fish contaminations to watch out for.

Here's the link to the info.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/opportunities-possibilites/contamination-eng.htm

lone wolf
06-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Good Day;

I you are as far as Parksville, I would seriously look at some of the operations out of Port Alberni, that fish Barkley Sound. It is a short drive from Parksville, but located on the west side of the island. Usually some good runs of fish that time of year in Barkley Sound.