PDA

View Full Version : Dirty aluminum boat

Buck9
06-04-2011, 08:12 PM
My lund boat has a fine film on the outside, and I can not seem to get it off. Tried different cleaners and waxes with little success. Anyone have an easy solution or found a good way to clean aluminum boats?

FishingFrenzy
06-04-2011, 08:18 PM
I've heard of people using oven cleaner for their aluminums. Is your boat painted or just bare aluminum? Maybe those 3M green scrub pads would work?
What is the film like? Oily? Waxy?

Mayhem
06-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Is it on the paint or on the abare aluminum? If you store it outside it is most likely weathering, red is particularly bad for that. For your paint try Meguiars automotive products, for the bare metal use a 3M green scotch brite pad.

Buck9
06-04-2011, 08:28 PM
It is painted and that is part of the problem i am scared to wreck the paint. I have tried buffers and started to remove some decals. Spot cleaning with new products just seems tough. the film is like a white scum. Not oily or waxy. Some of the lakes around here are very dirty and have lots of green scum mid year

Ruger1022
06-04-2011, 08:34 PM
We use Vim after a season on the Chesterslue!! works really well!!

Mayhem
06-04-2011, 08:36 PM
It's more work but I usually apply the products by hand as a buffer can quickly do damage when it builds up heat. I would try Scratch-X (about $14 at wally-mart) first on an inconspicuous area. Hope that helps.

ghostguy6
06-04-2011, 08:41 PM
can you post a picture of it? There are a few things it could be.

Buck9
06-04-2011, 09:33 PM
I have used CLR on it and that seems to somewhat work but does not last long. Can look at getting a picture of it tomorrow.

great white whaler
06-04-2011, 10:37 PM
buffer ,with fine grit cutting compound,,use water as u polish

ÜberFly
06-04-2011, 10:51 PM
We used to have some stuff to clean our Grumman canoe it was specifically for aluminum, it worked very well. I can try to find out what it is/was...

P

Buck9
06-04-2011, 11:11 PM
I will try some of the suggestions. Sure uberfly that would be great. Looking for anything that will work and get me on the water instead of boat cleaning

Penner
06-05-2011, 06:50 AM
There is a marine Aluminum cleaning product made by Spray Nine. Cleans up Aluminum real well. Local boating stores would sell it.

What ever you use ensure you rinse the boat off well before taking it to the Lake.

Kokanee9
06-05-2011, 09:24 AM
Is the film on the entire exterior of the boat or is it more concentrated up to the waterline mark? That would help to know if it is from lake water or general weathering.

lifesaflyin
06-05-2011, 09:40 AM
There is a marine Aluminum cleaning product made by Spray Nine. Cleans up Aluminum real well. Local boating stores would sell it.

What ever you use ensure you rinse the boat off well before taking it to the Lake.

another vote for spray nine. one of the best cleaners I have ever used..

Buck9
06-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Staining is only up to water line and I have tried spray 9. Somewhat works but think that it is more elbow grease than spray

ÜberFly
06-05-2011, 11:15 AM
"Trewax 4 season marine metal polish".

Called a marine place in Calgary but they don't carry it, bust said they have something comparable (sorry didn't get a name).

Hope this helps.

P

Buck9
06-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Thanks for all the different options, I ended going with Vim just because easily found and inexpensive and it did a great job. Next question what does one use to protect the boat now. What kind of polish or finish should I apply to try and keep the shine and make stain removal easier in the future.

mooseknuckle
06-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Had the same issue. Believe it or not after trying everything the wife gave me one of those mr clean magic erasers. You'll need 3-4 of them and a little elbow grease but it worked really well, add beer and then it's admiration time.

kinuseo
06-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Just take it to a car wash and use the presoak and let it sit for 5 mins and wash with soap and rinse with wax, cheap easy and effective, scrubs, shines and protects.:)

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
06-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Buck 9 Hot water and Dawn dish soap will clean that up no problem and wont effect the enviroment either .

Redfrog
06-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Commercial product. great price
http://www.stevestonmarine.com/product_detail.php?id=17552&page=20

mszomola
06-10-2011, 03:56 PM
i have a fiberglass boat and its white ....

first thing is , always wipe your boat down after use. The scumline is very difficult to remove.

im not sure about aluminum but i clean my fiberglass with a mild acid boat hull cleaner .... its the only way for me to get my whites back ... on aluminum might be a bit different but i would check along those lines. normal soap wont ever work ...

i also apply 3 levels after which is a wax cleaner , wax and polish ... i dont generally get a scum line all year but i wipe the boat down ever time after use rain or shine ....

Mayhem
06-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Thanks for all the different options, I ended going with Vim just because easily found and inexpensive and it did a great job. Next question what does one use to protect the boat now. What kind of polish or finish should I apply to try and keep the shine and make stain removal easier in the future.

Not sure, but isn't there some product called "shark oil" thats supposed to seal the aluminum so it doesn't tarnish?

Alberta_bassman
06-11-2011, 11:34 AM
there is sum poilsh for metal its called typhoon 40 u can get it at auto shops... or just look 4 a lazy metal polish ... it will work 4 sure ... it is a very very thin layer of petineana.. is the spelling right..well who cares...that looks hazy ... get sum rags or to it right with a couple terry cloths.. i had the same problem on my lil alum...:bad_boys_20: