PDA

View Full Version : Painting an Aluminum Boat

TyreeUM
06-05-2011, 10:16 AM
So I just picked up a new 12' (well far from new but new to me) and I need some advice on how to paint it. It looks like this boat has been painted a few times but there are large patches of exposed aluminum where the paint has come off. Do i need to somehow strip all the paint off before I paint it? Is there a primer that you can use to get the paint to stick better? Is there a specific paint I should be using? Thanks for the help.

bloopbloob
06-05-2011, 10:39 AM
I used a wire brushing wheel (steel wire) on a handheld grinder to strip the paint off mine, and bought some marine paint. No primer, and the paint is holding up very well (did this last year).

JSMPP
06-05-2011, 10:41 AM
It'll probably depend what kind of paint the previous owners used, and how thick it is but i would say that if you want it to last its better to strip it all off and start fesh. I went to acklands grainger and got some paint stripper for aluminum, i think its called talstrip or something like that. Just brush it on and pressure wash it off works really well. After i stripped the paint off i sent it off to get some cracks welded so havent repainted it now, so cant comment on the type of primer to use. there is a website called tinboats.net i think that has all sorts of info on it about fixing up old boats.

huntin'fool
06-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Hey Tyree,
A friend of mine followed this one to do his.
http://www.takeem.com/blinds/aluminum-paint.php

Good luck.

DuckBrat
06-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Yellow zinc oxide primer will hold best, if doing yourself. Do not use the Aluminum primer Home depot sells (Grey) your paint will chip. For a very clean aluminum - use wire bush, then sand to 150 grit, and use easy off oven cleaner, then pressure wash.

TyreeUM
06-05-2011, 01:24 PM
Yeah I have no clue what kind of paint the previous person used or even when they had painted it. Im gonna take your advice and just brush then sand off the paint and start fresh. I think the zinc primer is a good idea, I just need to locate a place I can purchase some from. Thanks again for the help I will update with how it goes.

DuckBrat
06-06-2011, 12:13 AM
Canadian tire has good yellow primer which I have had good success with it but try an automotive paint supplier for the best quality stuff. Good luck.

great white whaler
06-06-2011, 01:18 AM
stripe all paint to bare metal with a paint stripper ,scotch brite , clean metal with vinegar and water 'Canadian Tire yellow etch primer,you need just a flash coat , than follow with epoxy primer,than paint ,,and you don't need to sand in between coats, do it wet on wet.

Sundancefisher
06-06-2011, 06:24 AM
has anyone thought of using the same kind of stuff as they spray in to line truck boxes? I was thinking that rubber coating would help deaden sound and protect fishing line that you stand on by accident.

My only concern would be weight. Maybe it can be applied thinner since you are not hauling gravel in the boat.

jusfloatin
06-06-2011, 07:50 AM
The best is to remove all the old paint and primer with the proper aluminum primer then paint with any brand name paint ie: Tremclad/Marine/Industrial Enamal/Rustolium

But the reality is you have a old boat with probably several different brands of paint which was put on a dirty surface right off the bat.
It will take a fair bit of effort to remove all the old paint and not do damage to the aluminum in the process.

I would just scuff the old paint and boat with some 200 grit sand paper wash down with a vineger and water mix.
Let it dry for a couple of days ( to make sure there is no moister between the ribs and the boat) then just paint it with any brand name paint mentioned above.

4 liters of paint will be enough paint to put at least 5/6 coats if you use a brush or 8/10 coats if you use a foam roller on a 12' boat.

You have to keep in mind that this boat will be dragged over rocks, up hills, beached at speeds which probably was a weeee bit fast but did not seem like it at the time to a host of other senarios.

TyreeUM
06-06-2011, 08:42 AM
is there not a paint striper made for aluminium? I know there is only one color of paint on there at the moment, several coats I would imagine. I would really like to get the old paint off before I paint it again, I don't want to be touching it up every other time I take the boat out.

Forest Techer
06-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Is this the outside or inside or both your painting? I assumed the bedliner was intended for the inside of the boat, which would be kind of cool.

I have a less then beautifull aluminum I would like to paint as well but I'll wait to see how you make out first maybe ha

Keep us posted!

thanks

great white whaler
06-06-2011, 09:45 AM
[QUOTE=TyreeUM;967466]is there not a paint striper made for aluminium? I know there is only one color of paint on there at the moment, several coats I would imagine. I would really like to get the old paint off before I paint it again, I don't want to be touching it up every other time I take the boat out.[/QUOTE lay poly on the ground, than boat on poly, apply air craft paint stripper , than lay ploy plastic over top boat and stripper ,this keeps stripper from drying out,once paint as lifted hit it with the pressure washer,,,,,,,,,,,be sure to use safety glasses and rubber gloves,,,,this **** works fast.

jeprli
06-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Go to Mopac on 16th ave north, they have a a product called POR15(paint over rust), it is not the cheapest but it works really good. I used it for my beat up vw racer years ago. It dries up like an enamel and is very hard to chip, you would need a chisel to even scratch it. Next year i'm painting my boat with POR15, can't go wrong with it.

To prep the surface you just need to wash it and let it dry, paint it after and you're set for a few seasons.

Just noticed you're from SK, try contacting some hot rod shops, they have it for sure.

Sooner
06-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Hey there. When I was doing bodywork I decided to re-do the color on my dads 12 ft alum. A old sears boat. It had a colored foot wide stripe. I took some coarse paper on my air sander and took it down to the bare alum. If you can I would take it all off. After its off go over it with a smoother sandpaper to take out the coarse grit scratches. Go to a bodyshop supply store and get some epoxy primer. It sticks to alum real well. With the epoxy I used, you could let it dry for 4 hrs and then paint right over it, if not I could have lightly sanded it the next day. Whoever sells you a primer or sealer can tell you if its possible to do that. Its been over 10 yrs and the old boat still looks good and hasnt peeled anywhere. Buy good quality primer and PAINT and it should last a long time. Most paint is waterbased now unless you go industrial. Waterbased paint is a bit more of a beatch to spray if you dont have a booth to use.

TyreeUM
06-06-2011, 03:59 PM
thanks guys, I will let you know how it goes

bubba 96
06-06-2011, 04:29 PM
We did this a few yrs ago on my buddies boat and it even stopped the small leaks he had..

has anyone thought of using the same kind of stuff as they spray in to line truck boxes? I was thinking that rubber coating would help deaden sound and protect fishing line that you stand on by accident.

My only concern would be weight. Maybe it can be applied thinner since you are not hauling gravel in the boat.

TyreeUM
06-06-2011, 05:13 PM
sounds like an awesome idea, I might give it ago as well, but I am worried about the weight it might add, and ideas on if it would make much of a difference? I got this boat to take into some of the more remote trout lakes so weight is an issue for sure

Kokanee9
06-06-2011, 05:21 PM
How about taking it to one of those car washes that you pop the loonie into and try to blast off as much paint with the pressure washer as you can. You mentioned it was already peeling in some spots. That may save you some work and put a good start into the paint job.

:)

Kokanee9
06-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Several times it was mentioned that you should take it down to bare metal.
Put me on the side that agrees with that!

TyreeUM
06-06-2011, 05:36 PM
Several times it was mentioned that you should take it down to bare metal.
Put me on the side that agrees with that!

although the blood sweat and tears that are going to be involved, I have decided that is the route I am going to take. I picked a power washer from costco a few months ago and it is still sitting in the box - I think this will be a good opportunity to fire it up! Thanks again guys for all the help, I had no clue where to begin.

Kokanee9
06-06-2011, 06:13 PM
Best of luck and we are awaiting pictures and progress reports!!!

Willowtrail
06-06-2011, 11:02 PM
I used a Direct to rust epoxy mastic coating to do my fiberglass boat. The can says over metal as well. Here is the pictures of how it turned out.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=89227&highlight=boat+project&page=4

post #94

Has held up very well, been using boat lots.