PDA

View Full Version : Bloody Pike.

dodger
06-05-2011, 04:58 PM
There was blood everywhere !!!! All over the boat, all over my clothes, it looked like a murder scene. Problem was it was my blood and you know when you do battle against them Pike there will be blood shed.

Caught around 25 Friday evening the another 30+ on Saturday morning. You got to love those Southern reservoirs :sHa_shakeshout:

The boat launch was quiet.
http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss185/Dodger1234/002.jpg

Scenery was nice.
http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss185/Dodger1234/003-1.jpg

Mr Pike.
http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss185/Dodger1234/008-1.jpg

Mr Pike.
http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss185/Dodger1234/011-1.jpg

Bigger Mr Pike.
http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss185/Dodger1234/013-2.jpg

Dodger.

PeachesXoXo
06-05-2011, 05:00 PM
wow crazy pics especially that underwater pic, so cool! I'm jealous

FishingMOM
06-05-2011, 05:14 PM
i have never had blood shed with pike or musky either. Wonder what your doing to be bleeding?

:thinking-006:

TyreeUM
06-05-2011, 05:25 PM
I had an unfortunate incident with a larger pike, my hand, and his gill rakers. Clearly, it was a lapse of judgement on proper handling techniques - but it felt like my hand was in a giant chinese (sorry south central asian) finger trap with needles! My hand looked like spaghetti when I finally got it removed.

Rumtan
06-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Great pics......never underestimate the power of a glove.

hunted
06-05-2011, 05:48 PM
What was working the best for you? How big was your biggest? Great pics!! I am jealous for now. Next weekend is my turn. My Bro inlaw is coming down for 3 hard days of fishing:sHa_shakeshout:

Photoplex
06-05-2011, 05:48 PM
Great pics......never underestimate the power of a glove.

After getting 30 pike yesterday, I'm seriously thinking about investing in one of these

http://www.basspro.com/Lindy-Fish-Gloves/product/38705/-1112011

:)

Dust1n
06-05-2011, 06:02 PM
cool pics

dodger
06-05-2011, 06:32 PM
After getting 30 pike yesterday, I'm seriously thinking about investing in one of these

http://www.basspro.com/Lindy-Fish-Gloves/product/38705/-1112011

:)

I have one of those gloves for handling Mr Pike. Problem is I will see that he's hooked in the lip so I figure I don't need the glove. When I reach into the water with the needle nose plyers to flip out the jig they decide to do a quick jump and then you have the gill plate, leader, hook go sliding across the fingers. OUCH !!

One time I just brought in my jig and as I was getting ready to flip it out a Pike jumped out of the water and hooked himself. I was so caught off guard I almost lost the rod when he hit.

Dodger.

dodger
06-05-2011, 06:35 PM
What was working the best for you? How big was your biggest? Great pics!! I am jealous for now. Next weekend is my turn. My Bro inlaw is coming down for 3 hard days of fishing:sHa_shakeshout:

The Pike were puking up worms, I never seen anything like it before. I was using a jig with a Gulp Leech, they were all in the 5/lb - 8/lb range. I caught three that were around 10/lbs.

Dodger.

Photoplex
06-05-2011, 06:43 PM
I have one of those gloves for handling Mr Pike. Problem is I will see that he's hooked in the lip so I figure I don't need the glove. When I reach into the water with the needle nose plyers to flip out the jig they decide to do a quick jump and then you have the gill plate, leader, hook go sliding across the fingers. OUCH !!

One time I just brought in my jig and as I was getting ready to flip it out a Pike jumped out of the water and hooked himself. I was so caught off guard I almost lost the rod when he hit.

Dodger.

The actual Lindy one, or a different brand? Is it worth the high price tag?

horsetrader
06-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Great pics Have had blood letting with Pike, Muskie and Walleye if you fish them long enough and catch them big enough your going to lose hide just part of the sport........LOL

dodger
06-05-2011, 06:52 PM

There worth the money if you put it on, unfortunately I sometimes skip it. The only issue I have had is after several trips it can become a little foul smelling. I do wash it once a year, :scared0018:.
Dodger.

Kokanee9
06-05-2011, 06:57 PM
I have a set of those gloves in the boat instead of a net. It saves a lot of room and they work well when there are 2 or more people in the boat. Can be tricky at times when you are by yourself trying to land a fish, in that case a net can be worthwhile.

Willowtrail
06-05-2011, 07:47 PM

I have an older set of the lindy gloves that are similar to the link you posted.
They were a xmas present but are well worth it. I landed a 6lb14oz pike yesterday and got the gill rakers on the back of the glove and no cuts. Same some pain for sure.:happy0034:

I recommend them

Photoplex
06-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Good stuff guys - thanks for the recommendations. It's gone straight to the top of my spin fishing shopping list, along with a better mouth spreader :lol:

horsetrader
06-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Good stuff guys - thanks for the recommendations. It's gone straight to the top of my spin fishing shopping list, along with a better mouth spreader :lol:

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a454/horsetrader_photo/spreader.jpg

Changed to these found the single pole style did to much damage

WayneChristie
06-05-2011, 08:22 PM
[QUOTE=dodger;966711]There was blood everywhere !!!! All over the boat, all over my clothes, it looked like a murder scene. Problem was it was my blood and you know when you do battle against them Pike there will be blood shed.

Caught around 25 Friday evening the another 30+ on Saturday morning. You got to love those Southern reservoirs :sHa_shakeshout:

Thats why I like pike :) never had a trout draw blood. :bad_boys_20:

great white whaler
06-05-2011, 08:54 PM
When pike fishing ,,i bleed.

Lefty-Canuck
06-05-2011, 08:57 PM

I like those, where do you get a set of em?

LC

Photoplex
06-05-2011, 08:58 PM

LC

Yeah, those do look pretty sweet... where?

great white whaler
06-05-2011, 09:11 PM

I lost a tool like that ,,,coal lake below the spill way,,two week ago.

Lefty-Canuck
06-05-2011, 09:17 PM
I lost a tool like that ,,,coal lake below the spill way,,two week ago.

Apparently I have to find the south end of that lake....I have heard it exists! :thinking-006:..........lure of choice? large magnet! lol

Lefty

great white whaler
06-05-2011, 09:34 PM
Apparently I have to find the south end of that lake....I have heard it exists! :thinking-006:..........lure of choice? large magnet! lol

Lefty

HuMMMMMMMMMMMMMM,

horsetrader
06-05-2011, 09:45 PM

LC

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a454/horsetrader_photo/Picture2.png

Fishing hole

bloopbloob
06-05-2011, 09:50 PM

Lefty

While you're at it, there's a 20lber in there with a brand new rapala of mine i'd like back also! Damn thing broke me off, then kept following my other hooks and missing right next to shore, drove me crazy! could see the bright orange of the hook, still in his mouth, well before I could see the fish.

Lefty-Canuck
06-05-2011, 10:44 PM
Secretly I wish people would quit posting about the poor pike fishing, and the SMALL pike in Coal Lake :thinking-006:.....its going to get more crowded than it already is! Selfish reasons are my motive for saying this but.....geeze is nothing sacred anymore?!?!?! Where are the real fishermen who when asked where they caught a fish say "Right in the roof of the mouth" or "In the lake....."

Bloop you mean 2 lber right???? LOL, decimal was off.......

LC

Alberta Bigbore
06-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Nice photos !!

dodger
06-06-2011, 06:51 AM
Nice photos !!

Thanks A-B

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
06-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Well done Dodger , Next time I see wayne Ill give a couple of them spinners I make , have to give them a try . They are a wepon of mass distruction .

BGSH
06-06-2011, 01:11 PM
nice, loving the pics

alodar
06-06-2011, 01:36 PM
On occasion i bleed.... its fun ;)

dodger
06-07-2011, 04:37 AM
Well done Dodger , Next time I see wayne Ill give a couple of them spinners I make , have to give them a try . They are a wepon of mass distruction .

Hello BBJ.
Both Wayne and I like mass destruction !! Also, the jigs you made for me worked pretty good :) .
Dodger.

Winch101
06-07-2011, 07:09 AM
I know that beach , just outside Kona on the Big Island....right ...

Thats good get all that bleeding , sliming , gulping out of your system...:budo:

keep it reel
06-07-2011, 02:49 PM

I also HAD one of these and I found they work great on the big ones...not so much on the small ones (hard to get it into the mouth)...lost it to a shaker last year...

WayneChristie
06-07-2011, 05:02 PM
I also HAD one of these and I found they work great on the big ones...not so much on the small ones (hard to get it into the mouth)...lost it to a shaker last year...

Ive lost 4 or 5 gags, including one of Dodgers. I fasten mine to my pontoon now with a 3 foot length of wire leader, so even if they shake it away you still have it.

dodger
06-07-2011, 06:49 PM
I have to bring up the ones Wayne lost were only about 15 years old and held absolutely no sentimental value. Even though they went all over North America with me fishing and were even with me when my mom and dad were still alive and came with me for our "family" fishing trips. No sentimental value at all :sad0071:
Dodger.

WayneChristie
06-07-2011, 06:55 PM
I have to bring up the ones Wayne lost were only about 15 years old and held absolutely no sentimental value. Even though they went all over North America with me fishing and were even with me when my mom and dad were still alive and came with me for our "family" fishing trips. No sentimental value at all :sad0071:
Dodger.

Ive been back with the scuba gear 5 or 6 times looking for them, honest :bad_boys_20:

dodger
06-07-2011, 07:29 PM
Go deeeeper!
Dodger.

WayneChristie
06-07-2011, 09:31 PM
Go deeeeper!
Dodger.

I think a pickeral ate my baby. wasnt a dingo at all

Jwood 456
06-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Wasn't using my head a few years ago at Wab...lol. I was releasing a pike and decided to pull the hook out of the pike's mouth without gloves. It was a 10+lb pike, so the pike chomped my hand with it's large teeth till my hand was in screaming pain. I had no choice but to either bonk the fish on the head or slide my fingers out and shred them, I decided not to bonk the pike on the head because Wab is a C and R fishery. 2 gashes and scars on my hand later, I aussured that now I will have pliers and gloves on me whenever fishing a water body with pike in it.

Spidey
06-08-2011, 09:30 PM
Wasn't using my head a few years ago at Wab...lol. I was releasing a pike and decided to pull the hook out of the pike's mouth without gloves. It was a 10+lb pike, so the pike chomped my hand with it's large teeth till my hand was in screaming pain. I had no choice but to either bonk the fish on the head or slide my fingers out and shred them, I decided not to bonk the pike on the head because Wab is a C and R fishery. 2 gashes and scars on my hand later, I aussured that now I will have pliers and gloves on me whenever fishing a water body with pike in it.

That's what I love about fishing for pike. It's one half fishing and one half hunting!!!!