PDA

View Full Version : Bowfishing

fishunter
06-05-2011, 07:17 PM
I am interested in gettin into it.I do shoot a hoyt and would like to know if someone around here is into it . If so drop me a line. I know there is not mch to shoot at in waters , I belive that bowfishers can only take cod and goldeye. I may be wrong at this comment

Lefty-Canuck
06-05-2011, 08:38 PM
...If by cod you mean burbot? Suckers are fair gaime....sadly most lakes in Alberta are too murky to have much luck bow fishing them. Burbot and suckers are deeper in the summer from what I understand.

LC

Daceminnow
06-05-2011, 08:48 PM
I am interested in gettin into it.I do shoot a hoyt and would like to know if someone around here is into it . If so drop me a line. I know there is not mch to shoot at in waters , I belive that bowfishers can only take cod and goldeye. I may be wrong at this comment

from the regs.

Bowfishing
A special licence for bowfishing is not required. Bowfishing is allowed under the Alberta Sportfishing Licence.
Crossbows cannot be used.
Bows cannot be used to take trout, mountain whitefish, Arctic grayling, lake sturgeon, walleye or northern pike.
Bowfishing is not permitted in Gods, May, Seibert, Winefred, Andrew, Gardiner and Namur lakes.

lake whites would be fun to target, especially thru the ice. watched guys bow fish northerns in baptiste before the regs changed. very cool.

Dace

slingshotz
06-05-2011, 11:01 PM
If finances allow, I plan on getting one this fall/winter to use on lake whites in the shallows. Just need to find a reasonably priced setup for a fishbow and a place to actually buy one.

First thing though I have to figure out what bow size I need as I've never owned one yet.

MitchR
06-06-2011, 10:20 PM
find a bridge over a canal. There is sometimes fish under it, especially if it is close to a lake. Fire away! I saw my cousin do this once, it was pretty fun.