PDA

View Full Version : Lake of the woods

Paule
06-06-2011, 09:25 AM
June 25 -July 3, I will be a 10 minute boat ride out of Kenora of LOTW. Have fished this area for a couple of years. Other than getting bitten off a couple times. I've never landed or targeted for that matter a Muskie. My nephew 2 days ago landed a 35 plus(he got very lucky) and I am suddenly jealous and want to try and target these for a couple days while there, between the bass and walleye fun. Any information regarding what I should be using, structure to target, general areas in and aound the kenora area within a half hour boat ride would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Daceminnow
06-06-2011, 12:56 PM
June 25 -July 3, I will be a 10 minute boat ride out of Kenora of LOTW. Have fished this area for a couple of years. Other than getting bitten off a couple times. I've never landed or targeted for that matter a Muskie. My nephew 2 days ago landed a 35 plus(he got very lucky) and I am suddenly jealous and want to try and target these for a couple days while there, between the bass and walleye fun. Any information regarding what I should be using, structure to target, general areas in and aound the kenora area within a half hour boat ride would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

would you consider hiring a guide while you're out there?

Paule
06-06-2011, 03:45 PM
To be completely honest, no(trip is espensive enough). Nephews family has been there for 40 odd years. I haven't even checked with him or his extended family as to where I would go when there. I'm sure they will have suggestions/starting points as to where to go and what to use
. I just figured someone on this board may have had past success in that area of LOTW. If not I'll have to hang out at the marina and chit chat with the locals. Either way I'm looking forward to it.

Bennettcw
06-06-2011, 04:20 PM
I was born and raised on LOW, I will see what i can dig up for ya, never much of a musky fisherman myself but lots of buddys that are right into it.

Bennett

Dust1n
06-07-2011, 05:05 PM
a good time to fish muskies is in low light conditions.
they love the color black so black bucktails with orange spinners work great too.
always figure 8 after every cast
cover as much water as possible
remeber muskie fishing is very hard even for novinces and is a tricky fish to fool at times.
youve had a good day if you landed 1 decent(10-30lb) sized one out of there

pickrel pat
06-07-2011, 05:29 PM
most people do the figure 8 at the boat after a follow up or a strike and a miss.

LacLaBicheNS
06-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Join the Ontario fishing forums and ask. I lived in ont and was on those forums.. basically the same as this excpet about ont..

densa44
06-07-2011, 07:56 PM
These are very large fish and when they eat they don't want to chase around after a whole bunch of small fry! They want it all at once, so figure that into your lures.

With very large tackle you won't catch much but if you do it will be very large!

Elk Chaser
06-08-2011, 07:31 AM
big sucker minnows, large Rapalas, large spinner baits red/black/silver combos, and lots of patience.

Jwood 456
06-08-2011, 01:18 PM
EDIT: Oops replied to wrong thread.:sign0176:

Alberta_bassman
06-09-2011, 04:48 PM
oh my god i cant wait i go july 1st to kenora gunna hit sum sick a## bass fishing i cant wait .. so many fish in that lake.. of all kinds.. i have gone 3 years in a row the first week of july .... every year ..this will be my forth ... ya forth... IT IS HANDS DOWN THE BEST LAKE ANY WHERE .... i catch 500+ fish in 10 hrs every type to .and every day for 7 days so...thats 3000+fish a trip out there ...and thats just me... no 1 else..my buddy i go with to catches 3000+ so thats 6000+ a trip. on a baby bass rapala ..and jigs to I LOVE LAKE OF THE WOODS !!!!!!!

slivers86
06-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Alberta_bassman
i catch 500+ fish in 10 hrs every type to .and every day for 7 days so...thats 3000+fish a trip out there ...and thats just me... no 1 else..my buddy i go with to catches 3000+ so thats 6000+ a trip

:thinking-006: you're saying you pull 1.2 fish/minute fishing a 10hr day? Solo?

horsetrader
06-09-2011, 05:07 PM

oh my god i cant wait i go july 1st to kenora gunna hit sum sick a## bass fishing i cant wait .. so many fish in that lake.. of all kinds.. i have gone 3 years in a row the first week of july .... every year ..this will be my forth ... ya forth... IT IS HANDS DOWN THE BEST LAKE ANY WHERE .... i catch 500+ fish in 10 hrs every type to .and every day for 7 days so...thats 3000+fish a trip out there ...and thats just me... no 1 else..my buddy i go with to catches 3000+ so thats 6000+ a trip. on a baby bass rapala ..and jigs to I LOVE LAKE OF THE WOODS !!!!!!!

I don't believe you guys this is Alberta WE DON'T HAVE BASS ...WE DON"T FISH FOR BASS.....AND WE SURE DON'T TALK ABOUT BASS ON HERE...just joking I'm from Ont. and have spread more Bass post on here then anyone wants to think about took crap for it to....LOL .Miss bass fishing more then anything Jealous of both of you hope you both have great weather and better fishing

Alberta_bassman
06-09-2011, 05:30 PM
k i aint a little kid.. i am 23 i dont lie ... in lotw the hook aint in the water for even 30 seconds boom fish on..!!! i really dont care if u think i am bullin u i aint ...go there use a baby bass rapala ... u will see... i drive 1700km 1 way ..do u think i would drive that far for avarage fishing ...nope sorry...if i knew how to put vids on youtube i would show u how good it is and u would see my 52 inch muskie!!! i caught em on a 10 in double bladed bucktail yellow ,black ,red ...but thats the only muskie in 3 years i am itchin for another this year...ANY OF U THAT WANT A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME GO TO LOTW IN KENORA ..... U WONT REGRET IT......

pickrel pat
06-09-2011, 06:46 PM
500 in 10 hours...... i beleive you.....its o.k to come back and say " o.k guys i may have overguesstimated..... i wasnt really keeping count, but this i know! it was alot!

Lunker4Life
06-10-2011, 12:45 AM
Im going to Lake of the woods for the first week in july as well my uncle has A cabin on the lake:) good luck with your fishing!!

Jwood 456
06-10-2011, 09:42 AM
Seeing since that lake is sort of named after me, it's got to be awesome.:fighting0030::sHa_sarcasticlol:.JK