PDA

View Full Version : Dec 21 & 22nd - last day geese

2 Tollers
12-22-2007, 06:10 PM
Took Friday off and headed out to see if the mutts and I could find some birds. Found birds and then got some hardwater action in:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c221/hughwarren/2007-02-23misc005.jpg

This morning setting up it was -24C with a wind. The birds I spotted on Friday were going into the field at 9:30 so I starting setting at 8:30. Figures coldest day they did not start flying until 11:30. By 11:50 I had a limit and then watched them come into the decoys for awhile. They were still flying into the field at 2PM after we had lunch with a rancher friend.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c221/hughwarren/2007-02-23misc011.jpg

Camera fogged up again out of the truck -- thought I had some real good field shots. Looks like time for a new pocket camera for field work -- recommendations on cold weather pocket cameras??

shedcrazy
12-23-2007, 10:36 AM
Great to see you got out one last time. Nice haul of late season Canadas. Good shooting.
SC

CBRHunter
12-23-2007, 10:45 AM
Great job! We got out on the 18th but were skunked. I can't wait for next season!

2 Tollers
12-23-2007, 04:48 PM
Great job! We got out on the 18th but were skunked. I can't wait for next season!

To bad the 18th did not work out for you. It is always nice to get some late season birds as they are in great shape.

A little more detail on the goose shoot. This set up was very good. The geese have not been hunted in this area since mid November and had been going into the field for 3 weeks. There was around 2k birds feeding in this field. I was so frigging cold waiting that at about 11am I walked back to the truck to warm up -- truck is about 300 yds away in a coulee. Just got to the truck and the first flock of 2 came in and landed in the decoys. Another flock of 4 behind came in and landed. So I walked back out to the decoys, they spooked and circled out. Called them back in and got 2. Next 2 came straight in and got them both. Then lots of singles came. After the limit I had flocks of 10 to 50 in tight for quite awhile and a fogged up camera. It was really something. I only got tired watching when I ran out of hot tea.

I was wearing performance longjohns, fleece hoodie and pants, cold gear insulated wind breaker pants, 4 in 1 Remington waterfowl cold weather parka, winter pack boots and over top of all this a white fleece camo oversuit. Must have looked like I weighed 400 lbs.

I also got this bird -- notice the white feathers on the wings and the white band on the neck. There were no white spots on the breast area but on the back there were spots of white. Also the white on the neck ran up about 4 inches on one side.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c221/hughwarren/2007-02-23misc014.jpg

theduke
12-23-2007, 05:45 PM
tryed to get out late season too but the birds left the area i hunt so i ended up fishing

riffer
12-23-2007, 08:31 PM
Nice haul on the geese, my buddy and I were planning to do some goose hunting after big game ended, but it never happened:( were where you fishin?

Tabers Best
12-24-2007, 08:43 AM
:evilgrin: I found lots of success in the closing 3 weeks. Lots of geese and greenies. But bird hunting is truly my passion.

cranker
12-24-2007, 09:31 AM
Good Job, especially hunting those honkers in this weather.
Very nice dogs, there great retrievers for upland and migratory.