PDA

View Full Version : Edmonton Area Potholes Situation?

HunterDave
06-16-2011, 11:01 AM
Between work and rain days I haven't had allot of time to do any serious fishing but I plan on getting out for a few days REAL soon. I'm pretty sure that allot of the pothole lakes in the Edmonton area were hit pretty hard with winter kill so I was wondering which lakes still might have a fish or two that wasn't just stocked this spring.

Lac Ste Anne is good for my three walleye tags and I'm pretty sure that Lac Lanonne will be good for the folks that got their tags for there. Rumour has it that Isle Lake winter killed but I'm not sure if it was a total winter kill or not. Also, they were netting walleye in Ste Anne awhile back for relocation but I don't know where they were going (Isle?).

With the exception of Muir and MacLeod, has anyone caught any rainbow in any potholes/lakes that survived the winter?

With the winter kill are there any good rumours about continuing the trout stocking programs for Hasse and Peanut Lakes or are they just going to leave them be?

Kim473
06-17-2011, 06:32 AM
Between work and rain days I haven't had allot of time to do any serious fishing but I plan on getting out for a few days REAL soon. I'm pretty sure that allot of the pothole lakes in the Edmonton area were hit pretty hard with winter kill so I was wondering which lakes still might have a fish or two that wasn't just stocked this spring.

Lac Ste Anne is good for my three walleye tags and I'm pretty sure that Lac Lanonne will be good for the folks that got their tags for there. Rumour has it that Isle Lake winter killed but I'm not sure if it was a total winter kill or not. Also, they were netting walleye in Ste Anne awhile back for relocation but I don't know where they were going (Isle?).

With the exception of Muir and MacLeod, has anyone caught any rainbow in any potholes/lakes that survived the winter?

With the winter kill are there any good rumours about continuing the trout stocking programs for Hasse and Peanut Lakes or are they just going to leave them be?

Lac Lanonne may have winterkilled also. Was there at the end of ice season and the perch were about two feet under the ice in 16 fow.

sureshot
06-17-2011, 10:12 AM
I caught one rainbow at star this morning in 4 hrs but I don't know whether or not I was using the right fly.

Andy

moonyrat
06-29-2011, 12:46 AM
any updates on the fishing situation at hasse or stars? Our family is planning a bbq for the long weekend, and would like to know some more info about them. thx

Paul C
06-29-2011, 08:09 AM
Hasse is a write off because it now has pike in it. Star lake has had partial winter kill but some the bigger ones did survive. You can also try Salter Lake located near onoway.
Happy Trout Hunting

BGSH
06-29-2011, 10:44 AM
Muir lake is awsome, lots of monsters there, it did not winter kill

moonyrat
06-29-2011, 11:51 AM
thx guys, really appreciated the info. Muir is out of the question, as we have some little kids coming along and they also wants to fish. We probably heading to sauer, does anyone know whether hasse is completely dead aka not even perch left? the kids loves the playground area at hasse .

BGSH
06-29-2011, 11:57 AM
sauer and chiccakoo are great right now, i would use bobber and worm at chiccakoo great action for the kids to see the bobber bobbing around, as well you have a chance to catch bows and brookies, sauer is also great for bows, fish the very right side at sauer on the beaver house, wear boots as i imagine the water levels will make it a bit swampy, if you fish bobber and worm dont cast in the middle of the lake cast the shore line, if you go to chiccakkoo take the road from sauer stright to the t intersection and park right there then walk to trail down, there will be a pallet you can fish on, best place to use worms on that lake, you will catch alot of brookies on the worms

Mr.goldeye
06-29-2011, 12:35 PM
water level a chickakoo is looking very good now that pond really needed that rain

BGSH
06-29-2011, 12:47 PM
but with no real rain in sight looks like its going to go back down to where it was before the rain

moonyrat
06-30-2011, 01:03 AM
sauer and chiccakoo are great right now, i would use bobber and worm at chiccakoo great action for the kids to see the bobber bobbing around, as well you have a chance to catch bows and brookies, sauer is also great for bows, fish the very right side at sauer on the beaver house, wear boots as i imagine the water levels will make it a bit swampy, if you fish bobber and worm dont cast in the middle of the lake cast the shore line, if you go to chiccakkoo take the road from sauer stright to the t intersection and park right there then walk to trail down, there will be a pallet you can fish on, best place to use worms on that lake, you will catch alot of brookies on the worms

thank you for the break down, really appreciated :) :)