PDA

View Full Version : Help please Felt to Vibram conversion

nof60
06-17-2011, 07:00 AM
Help Please

Alaska has outlawed felt soles. I love my wading boots and they are in good shape but have felt soles. Can I change them over or do I have to buck up for a new pair of boots?

Okotokian
06-17-2011, 10:06 AM
While I haven't heard of felt to vibram conversions, people re-sole hiking boots all the time. Call places like MEC or Redwing Shoes for recommendations as to where to take them.

Overdrawn
06-17-2011, 02:28 PM
Why did they outlaw felt soles? I bought Korkers so I can change the sole, but sometimes I couldn't imagine wading without them.

Lefty-Canuck
06-17-2011, 02:31 PM
I am curious as to why felt got outlawed too?

LC

matt04
06-17-2011, 02:34 PM
I think it has something to do with the felt on your boots transffering algae into different watersheds where it is not supposed to be... or something like that.

flyfishing only 902
06-17-2011, 02:34 PM
felt got outlawed because it was transporting parasites and such from one body of water to another. and i expect it will be universal soon enough

matt04
06-17-2011, 02:36 PM
yeah, that was what I was trying to say

flyfishing only 902
06-17-2011, 02:37 PM
ya sorry i was writing mine as you posted. wasnt trying to correct you lol

Lefty-Canuck
06-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Ok that makes sense....never though of that but I guess its the same reason people should clean their props when going between water bodies.

LC

matt04
06-17-2011, 02:40 PM
I can't remember where I read this but I remember reading something about a brown algea that is harmful to our streams and how it gets transfered from stream to stream with felt soles.

matt04
06-17-2011, 02:41 PM
ya sorry i was writing mine as you posted. wasnt trying to correct you lol

lol. yours sounded better

TyreeUM
06-17-2011, 03:43 PM
I dont think there is any hard evidence to link felt soles with transfer of things like algae and whirling disease, although trout unlimited has been trying to get them banned altogether. There is no doubt it is "possible" though, and maybe that is reason enough to get rid of them. I just had to replace my felt wading shoes this year for work for this reason, I have simms G4 on the way...I cant imagine the vibram being able to grip as well as felt so I ordered some cleats to go with them. I will let you know how they work out.

Okotokian
06-17-2011, 03:54 PM
I've read that felt are best for moss and algae covered bolders, but the question is, is that what you fish in? The same article in FLY FISHERMAN said "In gravel bottom rivers like Alberta's Bow or Montana's Bighorn, plain rubber soles are completely adequate... and better on dry rocks. slippery mud bottoms, and on ice and snow." I only use my felts on the shoulder seasons with my waders. In summer I fish in rubber soled water shoes and shorts, and I don't find myself slipping and falling.

CF8
06-17-2011, 06:15 PM
Didymo is what they are trying to limit the transfer of from water body to water body. Montana/New Zealand etc... are all going felt free, and its only a matter of time before we do here. At least we should...