PDA

View Full Version : Help...Holding fish by the eyes!!

bbbhunter
06-17-2011, 04:36 PM
Hello all... I was talking to a co-worker who fishes semi-regular and he told me he picks up and hold fish in the eye(s)socket.....I am an avid fisherman for thirty years and was immediatly shocked and replied that cant be good for the fish, he said oh no it calms them like putting a blanket over a pigs eyes or something to that effect, he would not have his opinion changed...so I need any-one on here, fish bio, srd, co`s, anyone who has credable proof to give me to set him straight, It bothers me to think of all the fish he has caught and handled this way...thank you for your help.

Lefty-Canuck
06-17-2011, 04:39 PM
Im no authority on the issue....but I think he is full of BS. I personally would not handle a C&R fish like this....and most C&R fish I release I never handle...

LC

NSRfishing
06-17-2011, 04:43 PM
that angers me not that hard to hold onto a fish without using the gills or eyes

sound like he is nutless scared of a walleye spike

WayneChristie
06-17-2011, 04:49 PM
pick him up by the eye sockets and see if it calms him! :bad_boys_20:
lots of oldtimers used to handle pike this way, but then again they didnt usually release them either

TyreeUM
06-17-2011, 05:54 PM
touching the eyes on a fish (not even talking about gasping a fish by it's eyes) causes corneal damage to the lens epithelial layers. This causes eye cataracts and reduces the ability for the fish to be able to both feed and avoid predation. Reduction in vision can also cause fish to self-inflict body damage, especially in locations with swift moving water. Minor abrasions will create cataracts that can naturally clear after the tissue has healed, but during that period the fish are at risk for all problems I have mentioned above. More serious abrasions can cause cataracts resulting in permanent loss of sight.

AnglerCraig
06-17-2011, 05:57 PM
On page 19 of the regs it has tips for releasing fish and it says to avoid "squeezing the fish" I assume that means the eyes as well as the body. Grabbing a fish by the eyes is bad for the fish and poor practice, tell this guy to get off the water, or fix his habits because that is what gives fishermen a bad name with PETA and such.

TyreeUM
06-17-2011, 06:05 PM
On page 19 of the regs it has tips for releasing fish and it says to avoid "squeezing the fish" I assume that means the eyes as well as the body. Grabbing a fish by the eyes is bad for the fish and poor practice, tell this guy to get off the water, or fix his habits because that is what gives fishermen a bad name with PETA and such.

haha "fishing" is what give fisherman a bad name with PETA...no amount of proper handling techniques is going to change that...

Outt and Aboutt
06-17-2011, 06:06 PM
The fish are most likely being 'calmed' because their eyes are being blocked from light (like covering an animal's head with a cloth or bag). One wonders if it might also be a paralyzing effect of the trauma.

We know very well how easily fish become infected when we touch their skin with a dry or rough surface. We take great care to avoid that because as soon as we remove the protective layer of slime then they are very prone to having bacteria cross their skin and cause infections.

Other than the outright abrasion caused to the surface of their eyes by touching them, I expect this individual has caused severe eye infections in every fish he has handled this way, likely resulting in the eventual blindness and death. A blind fish won't last long.

He may as well bonk them on the head as pick them up by the eyes. It's a death sentence.

I doubt you'll find any research on this as it's an idiotic thing to do to a fish.

As a previous poster said, ask him what he thinks would happen to his eyes if someone picked him up by them. A fish's eyes aren't much different than ours in tissue structure and function. How well does he think his eyes would handle that abuse? A fish's eyes would respond the same.

D
Professor of Biology

Gust
06-17-2011, 06:21 PM
Hello all... I was talking to a co-worker who fishes semi-regular and he told me he picks up and hold fish in the eye(s)socket.....I am an avid fisherman for thirty years and was immediatly shocked and replied that cant be good for the fish, he said oh no it calms them like putting a blanket over a pigs eyes or something to that effect, he would not have his opinion changed...so I need any-one on here, fish bio, srd, co`s, anyone who has credable proof to give me to set him straight, It bothers me to think of all the fish he has caught and handled this way...thank you for your help.

You sir, must tell your friend that he is breaking the law. I'll be back on in a bit with the law. Your friend is an abusive sod. My anger and such is beyond, you must drop this friend as your acquaintance. WoW!!!! So sad.

AnglerCraig
06-17-2011, 06:21 PM
haha "fishing" is what give fisherman a bad name with PETA...no amount of proper handling techniques is going to change that...

I guess PETA is pretty extreme but things like that will get people who are neutral to the matter angry, I even cringed when I read it.

chubbdarter
06-17-2011, 06:29 PM

thats foresure

Ken07AOVette
06-17-2011, 06:32 PM
It's been said already, but I would be tempted to grip his head by his eyes and dangle his feet, see if he calms down. What an ignorant thing to do to fish.

Fisher_man#1
06-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Definitely not the way to go. Better set im straight right way, let us know if you need us to take him fishing and teach him :sHa_shakeshout:. If he wants the fish to remain docile suggest that he hold the fish slightly upside down. This messes with there inner ear for a bit and keeps them calm.

TyreeUM
06-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Other than the outright abrasion caused to the surface of their eyes by touching them, I expect this individual has caused severe eye infections in every fish he has handled this way, likely resulting in the eventual blindness and death. A blind fish won't last long.

He may as well bonk them on the head as pick them up by the eyes. It's a death sentence.

This is obviously a little bit extreme...

And I am not sure how against the law it is to hold a fish by it's eye sockets, but I can promise you he would be in some serious trouble if anyone with authority saw him handling a sturgeon like this...

gui
06-17-2011, 07:18 PM
holdin the fish by the eyes would hurt them... what if someone held u by the eyes how would u react... and blanket on them would remove their protective slim on them. not good to do... keep them in the net n unhook them in there... less stress and wont hurt the fish

Sundancefisher
06-17-2011, 08:27 PM
Without a doubt it is damaging. :sign0176:Their eyes are very sensitive like ours to pressure. Pushing the fingers into the eyes and cranial cavity is irresponsible and if in fact he is doing this it must stop unless he is harvesting the fish and killing the fish immediately after harvest.

Such a shame we have people that are so clueless fishing. Please try and politely explain to him that biologists and fishermen alike agree this is improper and damaging behavior.

Good luck.

Sun

Dust1n
06-17-2011, 10:12 PM
ok if you got long/sharp fingure nails and pop the irus in eye the fish is blind iv seen my share of fish go belly up at sylvan lake alberta from that cause
in fact if you go there right now i can garetee you yull see at least 2 dead walleye....check it out today

ice
06-17-2011, 10:26 PM
It calms them, if i picked you up by the eyes would you be squirming around... No youd be still in shock at the amount of pain shooting through your face

Crossfire
06-17-2011, 10:29 PM
Touching fish eyes is bad and causes blindness i am a fish breeded and know for a FACT it hurts the fish to touch there eyes the salts on our skin will harm them that should never be practiced it is wrong and releasing fish like that that is possiblt blind will kill it sooner then later.

TyreeUM
06-17-2011, 10:41 PM
ok if you got long/sharp fingure nails and pop the irus in eye the fish is blind iv seen my share of fish go belly up at sylvan lake alberta from that cause
in fact if you go there right now i can garetee you yull see at least 2 dead walleye....check it out today

chubbdarter
06-17-2011, 11:18 PM
it was definitely the way some of us were taught in the old days

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
06-18-2011, 12:06 AM
Tell him hes an idiot and that hes is wrong , punch em in the kidneys , throw his gear in the water then haul em out of the water by the eye sockets and see how he likes that .

Its pathetic in this day and age that people cant handle a fish , animal , kid whatever properly , then have the balls to argue about it . Like others said if hes keepin them whatever but if he isnt do the above said mentioned . Than after doing that report your findings to Fish and Wildlife .

TyreeUM
06-18-2011, 12:37 AM

not many fish were released in the old days, though....haha

chubbdarter
06-18-2011, 12:45 AM
not many fish were released in the old days, though....haha

way back then im pretty sure i learned it from Field and Stream magazine.
i dont advise anyone to use the technique now....but it sure paralized them and their yaps would stay wide open for hook removal

TyreeUM
06-18-2011, 01:02 AM
way back then im pretty sure i learned it from Field and Stream magazine.
i dont advise anyone to use the technique now....but it sure paralized them and their yaps would stay wide open for hook removal

ahh yes...nature's jaw spreaders

New Hunter Okotoks
06-18-2011, 01:03 AM

That's how I used to handle pike; that were going to be eaten. They don't have teeth in their eye sockets! LOL! I would think it obvious that to pick up a fish or any other creature by the eyes will do lasting harm.

I have wondered how long keeping a fish out of water in very cold weather affects their eyes. I know that we have eyes too and they are just fine in the same cold weather but when it's -25 outside the fish's eyes obviously get a frozen layer on them.

GillieSuit
06-18-2011, 08:25 AM
Picking up by the eyes causes corneal damage and cataracts which affects the overall health of the fish.

If you want to calm a fish down hold them inverted. Meaning upside down with their dorsal fin pointing at the floor. This floats their otaliths and creates disorientation stopping them from flipping and flopping around. Once you've removed any hooks hold them gently by the caudal peduncle and the under belly, snap a quick photo and release back to the lake or stream.

I work with and handle fish all the time. This is the best way to settle a lively bugger down and a great way to avoid hooking yourself as well.

Hope this helps.