PDA

View Full Version : Forks, SSR this weekend!

BeeGuy
06-17-2011, 08:54 PM
Anyone have any updates on the river conditions etc?

I'm heading down tomorrow to do some biodiversity surveys and will hopefully convince the wife to hang around in the eve and catch some sturg.

Never been there mind you. Plan on washing some medium smelts on a pickeral rig? Sound like a good method?

Other than that we'll just be hiking around.

We'll have butterfly nets and a brown MPV......mazda, not a toyota :dork:

Cheers,

see you on the water

jacenbeers
06-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Worms work way better than smelts in the SSR for sturgeon.

TyreeUM
06-17-2011, 09:13 PM
and you shouldn't be using store bought pickerel rigs for sturgeon. Tie yourself up a quality single hook rig using adequate strength line. Make sure your weight is connected using the minimum strength line to keep it from breaking off when casting and considerably less than the line strength of your rig. I honestly don't think bait is as big of a deal for sturgeon as it is for other species, they seem to at least sample everything in their path thats edible when feeding. If you're going to use smelts, make sure to rupture the air bladder so the bait is sitting on the bottom. Good luck!

Daceminnow
06-17-2011, 09:41 PM
and you shouldn't be using store bought pickerel rigs for sturgeon. Tie yourself up a quality single hook rig using adequate strength line. Make sure your weight is connected using the minimum strength line to keep it from breaking off when casting and considerably less than the line strength of your rig.

picture to help. if not rigging on a three way something along the lines of this works.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/sturgeon_setup.jpg

TyreeUM
06-17-2011, 09:58 PM
picture to help. if not rigging on a three way something along the lines of this works.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/sturgeon_setup.jpg

haha that is a little more professional than a three way swivel, perfect diagram. Whatever you decide to use, just make sure your weight can either easily be snapped off or, as with Dace's rig suggestion, not be dragged around by the fish if you get snapped off.

Dale S
06-17-2011, 10:16 PM
With 577m3 per sec coming down the Oldman, you cant get through the chanel to get on the island. It must be under 4ft. of water.The water has drop 3ft. in the last couple of days. Its has made all the shorelines covered in that stickey river mud. So bring your rubber boots and your bug spray the mosquitos are bad this year with all the rain we've had. But you should catch a sturgeon or two if you can find a spot to fish.With all the erotion this year I think there are lots of worms in the river this year. Thats why I think I'm have such good luck catching them on worms.

BeeGuy
06-17-2011, 10:29 PM
Awesome, thanks guys!!

Hows access from the highway down to the river crossing to the island?

I've got 4x4, but it's a lot happier in BC gravel mud than this clay grease-mud I've found in Alberta.

Either way, I'm just hoping for clear skies and a bit of a breeze.

Tight lines,

LB

The DragonSlayer
06-18-2011, 07:06 AM
Muddy, Muddy. High, High.
Fishies say "Don't Try".