PDA

View Full Version : in need of help if possible.

Darkbreez
06-17-2011, 11:43 PM
Hey guys i just moved to alberta last year and want to do a lot of fishing here this year, a couple of weeks ago i heared some guys talk about sturgeon fish and how much fun its to catch them. so here is my question. I have been fishing the NSR for some time now but never got a sturgeon. am i going to the wrong places? or is the sturgeon gone? any help would be appriciated. P.S. it will be my first sturgeon ever caught if i do manage this year.

ice
06-17-2011, 11:52 PM
Catching sturgeon isnt easy even for the most experienced angler, iv been trying for years and havent landed one out of the nsr, sturgeon are living dinosaurs, and in some cases, can grow up to 1000 pounds, (yes in canadian rivers) such as the frasier in bc. Now im not certain they can grow that large in the nsr, but they certainly are there, iv seen them caught, dont freat, they are in there, just try diffent areas, lures and such, i try but i dont fish the nsr a whole lot eighther, i mainly persue trophy pike,

TyreeUM
06-18-2011, 12:44 AM
Lake sturgeon aren't found anywhere much over 300 pounds or so, and in the Sask river watershed are rarely found over 100 pounds. That being said, there are plenty of sturgeon to be found if you put the effort in to locating a good spot. Look for some slack water with a sandy bottom.

Bushmaster
06-18-2011, 06:55 AM
Few years ago, a friend and I hit the NSR from the Shandro bridge north of Willingdon, launched the boat went upstream a few miles and set up at a spot he knew of. In short order, I was into some of the best/fastest walleye fishing I have ever seen, and within two hours we each caught 1 sturgeon, about 25 lbs. We used a gob of worms and just left them sit in a hole.....

Dust1n
06-18-2011, 08:50 AM
Hey guys i just moved to alberta last year and want to do a lot of fishing here this year, a couple of weeks ago i heared some guys talk about sturgeon fish and how much fun its to catch them. so here is my question. I have been fishing the NSR for some time now but never got a sturgeon. am i going to the wrong places? or is the sturgeon gone? any help would be appriciated. P.S. it will be my first sturgeon ever caught if i do manage this year.

walk downstream foralong time till you get out of the traffic then find a big slow drag in the current far out from the bank cast towards there.
the sturgeon are few and far between but especialy the bigger ones.
use a big heavey weight on Jhook with the stinkest bait you can find.
squid for example.
alot of line and a heavey rod is a good idea for these beasts

diamonddave
06-18-2011, 09:21 AM
walk downstream foralong time till you get out of the traffic then find a big slow drag in the current far out from the bank cast towards there.
the sturgeon are few and far between but especialy the bigger ones.
use a big heavey weight on Jhook with the stinkest bait you can find.
squid for example.
alot of line and a heavey rod is a good idea for these beasts

Have you caught lots FH7?

Teamprotz
06-18-2011, 10:05 AM
Worms , worms , worms ! Best bait in the river for them. Pickeral rig loaded up , early morning or late evening. Look for slower , deep water.