PDA

View Full Version : Fly Reel Help

John_K
06-20-2011, 03:14 PM
Hey guys n' gals. just wondering what anyone has herd about the black casting fly reel model bf800. anything good? bad? ugly? i am trying to get a fly fishing setup on the go this year and came across this reel on ebay. a few places had it retailed upwards of 100 bucks. i looked for reviews for it but i couldnt find any. ( i only looked for about a half hour and got distracted by something shiny and lost interest) i am fairly new to fly fishing so any help would be very much appreciated.

thanks

John

goldscud
06-20-2011, 03:24 PM
These are cheap reels out of China. I think you will find that the drags tend to slip when they get wet.
Might be better to look at a Pflueger Trion or Amundson...both around $100

Okotokian
06-20-2011, 03:24 PM
It's Chinese I believe. http://www.ritafishing.com/productxx.asp?-558-.html

You could do better for $100 in any fly shop. Also, what weight of line is it for?

ÜberFly
06-20-2011, 03:25 PM
Never heard of them, but that's not a surprise. A lot of what is "sold" on ebay can be pretty obscure... One question to ask is what happens if something goes wrong with it?! Best to consider something from a better known manufacturer (a few are mentioned above). Also what kind application?! Trout? Pike? Big stream/Small stream? Important considerations!! A large arbor reel would be reco'd for everything except small stream... Much better options IMHO are available (locally) in the $100 price range!

P

John_K
06-20-2011, 03:34 PM
for the most part it will be used in the south sask river with the odd crowsnest trip tossed in for some spice. i would actually like to have several reels (or spools) with different size line on them. but for now lets say that im going to be attempting to get pike/walleye/goldeye. im going to be getting some heavy line and tippets but would like to have the reel for it. perhaps i can convince the wife to let me have several setups hahahahaha

ÜberFly
06-20-2011, 03:45 PM
Hmmm... At the Crow you would be using a 5 wt most likely (could get away with a 6 wt) and I've never fished the SSR but I presume larger fish then the Crow (Pike & Walleye?!) so something bigger then a 6 wt perhaps (large pike = minimum 8wt rod)... You can find 5/6 reels/spools but anything heavier you will need a separate set up!! Definitely need a couple of different rods (unfortunately/fortunately)!

Goldeye 4 wt (maybe 5 wt)...

P

Okotokian
06-20-2011, 03:47 PM
for the most part it will be used in the south sask river with the odd crowsnest trip tossed in for some spice. i would actually like to have several reels (or spools) with different size line on them. but for now lets say that im going to be attempting to get pike/walleye/goldeye. im going to be getting some heavy line and tippets but would like to have the reel for it. perhaps i can convince the wife to let me have several setups hahahahaha

So if you have a number of different lines and reels are you planning to have a number of different rods? You need to match your fly line to the reel to the rod. For example, new fly fishers most commonly choose a 5 or 6 weight rod around here. YOu would buy matching weight line and a reel designed for 5 or 6 weight line. It's not like having a spinning rod that handles 6 to 14 lb test, and you just swap out spools of different line, using the same reel.

TyreeUM
06-20-2011, 05:42 PM
if you are looking for less expensive reel, I absolutely love the cabelas RLS and you can get it when it is on sale for around 100 or so.

John_K
06-20-2011, 08:18 PM
looks like im going to have to go with 2 rods and several spools. i think im going to go with a 5 wt for trout and a 8wt for the big river donkeys. thanks for all the help guys!!! keep it coming!!

ÜberFly
06-20-2011, 09:02 PM
If you are going to consider multiple spools, you might want to consider a "cartridge system" like the Snowbee XSD 460 and/or XSD 780 (I have the 780 as my pike reel). GREAT value & quality. The base price is a little over your $100 BUT they come with 5 cartridges (a spool for a regular reel can be any where from $30 - $100 + on their own)!!

http://www.snowbee.co.uk/fly-fishing/fly-reels/

If you are in Calgary, Southbow has them (or can get them) or you can order direct from Nilecreek Fly shop (Talk to the owner Courtney - he'll give you a good deal - http://nilecreekflyshop.com/nilecreek_8354.html). He's the distributor in Canada!

Also Hardy/Greys has cartridge systems (a few local shops carry those) and I think TFO does as well!!

If you are ever in Calgary and want to check mine out, lemme know.

Peter

Daceminnow
06-20-2011, 09:29 PM
these reels have been around for a quite a few years now and always have received good reviews. they're in the price range you're looking at and i know they're not junk. one you may want to consider looking at.

http://www.gloomis.com/publish/content/gloomis_2010/us/en/fly/reels/venture.html

Dace

gl2
06-20-2011, 09:57 PM
these reels have been around for a quite a few years now and always have received good reviews. they're in the price range you're looking at and i know they're not junk. one you may want to consider looking at.

http://www.gloomis.com/publish/content/gloomis_2010/us/en/fly/reels/venture.html

Dace

x2. been running this on my 5 wt for a couple years and have loved it.

Caper28
06-20-2011, 10:12 PM
If you expect to have different lines, ie. floating and different sink rate lines. Buy a cartridge reel. I would recommend STH. I have 2 of their cartridge reels and have been using them for 10 years with no complaints. I have the IM cassette- on my 4wt and the DDR Cassette on my 8wt.

Lefty-Canuck
06-20-2011, 11:17 PM
You can get an Amundson Diablo Cartridge system reel for $65 ish dollars @ WSS. It comes in a 5-6 or a 7-8 model with 3 cartridges total.....and a carry case. Another option if you want to have a few different spools of different line for different applications. They also have a good deal on Redington +CROSSWATER rods right now.....$55.00 each in a variety of sizes, great beginner rod to goof around with....reg $80.00 and up.....

Another inexpensive reel I like is the Daiwa Lochmor Series.....metal construction great deal if you can find them.....

LC

Bigtoad
06-21-2011, 08:55 AM
Pflueger is awesome. Had a buddy with a new Admundson that the drag died on him up at Fortress so I'm a little gun shy of those now but they look good.

As for rods, get something with a lifetime warranty that feels good to cast. Oh, and if you like to hike, spend the extra $$$ and get a 4pc.

Cheers.