PDA

View Full Version : Bow river help!

Altawhitetail_11
06-20-2011, 04:48 PM
Hey guys I'm heading down to the bow river this weekend.
It's my first time down there and I'm also fairly new to fly fishing. Is there any tips or trick one could lend to a rookie to this area. What flies work best? Is the fishing good right now? Any help is appreciated!

ÜberFly
06-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Good luck! It's pretty much blown out! Only the seasoned fly anglers will be picking up fish with streamers along the banks and within the slack water.

P

Scott N
06-20-2011, 04:55 PM
It's probably the toughest time of the year to fish the Bow. Be careful if you go, the river is about as high / fast as it gets all year.

bowness
06-20-2011, 04:57 PM
River is REALLY high. I think it would be tough fishing. Use large bright red san juan wire worms to get down. Also large stonefly nymphs. Extra split shot on your line with a long 11 foot leader and a large indicator.
That or find a slower run (hard to find and identify in this water) and a fast sink line and fish a large streamer.
May have better luck with casting large rapalas (count downs) and buzz bombs.

Altawhitetail_11
06-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Is there any other spots around Calgary airdire that might be better? Forgive the geographical ignorance, not from the area.

ÜberFly
06-20-2011, 05:08 PM
People have been having good luck fly-fishing on the K lakes... But that's a whole other kettle of fish (so to speak)...

There are quite a few stocked ponds (search the archives for specific info).

P

Gust
06-20-2011, 05:49 PM
search other steams such as highwood sheep elbow or scroll down for recent threads as good and better than the bow

Dust1n
06-21-2011, 07:10 AM
big streamers

AnglerCraig
06-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Is there any other spots around Calgary airdire that might be better? Forgive the geographical ignorance, not from the area.

I'd say dries on Winchell, foam ant imitators with long legs work the best for me!

Okotokian
06-21-2011, 11:50 AM
search other steams such as highwood sheep elbow or scroll down for recent threads as good and better than the bow

Are as bad if not worse than the Bow. I'm planning to stick to lakes for a bit longer. Certainly the best bet this weekend IMHO.

Altawhitetail_11
06-21-2011, 06:36 PM
Guess k lakes it is, bad time to forget the fishing guide at home :p thanks guys!!