Gust
06-20-2011, 05:26 PM
so get out there while the waters nice and low

ogre
06-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Much obliged GM. Now I have somewhere to go for the evenings

AnglerCraig
06-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Is the Glenbow good for fly fishing? Where's the best place to fish on the Glenbow?

Christofficer
06-20-2011, 08:12 PM
The devonian gardens is better fishing than the glenbow.

:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Thanks for the heads up on glenmore.

Gust
06-20-2011, 08:15 PM
Is the Glenbow good for fly fishing? Where's the best place to fish on the Glenbow?

Yes, and right now is pefect before the waters come up,, do a search and pull up the thread from a month or so back or go to north glenmore park and walk the shore from the rowing club northward. regular fishing is still best but late evening is good for some flyers

BeeGuy
06-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Water is totally brown. Is it still worth it???

Gust
06-20-2011, 08:48 PM
Water is totally brown. Is it still worth it???

don't be disuaded by the dun

Pike'n'walleye
06-20-2011, 10:50 PM
YAAAAY time to get Skunked at glenmore again!

Gust
06-20-2011, 10:54 PM
YAAAAY time to get Skunked at glenmore again!

big jointed raps or rattlers or 3" brass crocs,,, i'm going tomorrow

Gust
06-20-2011, 11:19 PM
it's loud, it's close and it has big honkin trout and if I want to eat one, they are stunning. the skulling boats are annoying and the boaters never say hello,, not used to that after working from a boat for years but i can ignore all that.

Mudslide
06-20-2011, 11:34 PM
Someone told me you can't fish from the dock it's only for boats is this true never fished there before

True. The docks are posted: NO FISHING.

billwminnow
06-20-2011, 11:49 PM
Fish from Docs I talked to the dudes in the motor boat last year and they said just when the boats are out no fishing but some people are sticky even if there is no boats out As far as I know the Reservior is open

Mudslide
06-20-2011, 11:51 PM
Pretty sure it mentions fishing from the docks. There is another dock across the lake at the canoe club. Not sure if that one is posted but it probably is. It's been a couple of years since I've been.

Gust
06-20-2011, 11:54 PM
Pretty sure it mentions fishing from the docks. There is another dock across the lake at the canoe club. Not sure if that one is posted but it probably is. It's been a couple of years since I've been.

they aren't as strict at north park but i prefer the shore fishing

fisherjam
06-21-2011, 12:11 AM
heading out there first thing in the morning :sHa_shakeshout:

Gust
06-21-2011, 12:22 AM
yes you can use smelts but in truth , good ol elbow grease and reelin in a crank or spoon is the best by far. worms are good for burbs and the burbs there put lobster to shame in taste

Pike'n'walleye
06-21-2011, 12:34 AM
If you guys go down there tomorrow post your results. I fished there 3 times already and got skunked twice...it has been very slow

chubbdarter
06-21-2011, 01:58 AM
whats the best hook?

AnglerCraig
06-21-2011, 10:37 AM
Yes, and right now is pefect before the waters come up,, do a search and pull up the thread from a month or so back or go to north glenmore park and walk the shore from the rowing club northward. regular fishing is still best but late evening is good for some flyers
Excellent, thank you very much!

fisherjam
06-21-2011, 07:44 PM
Been there early this morning and again this afternoon catch nothing, any tips on fishing the Rez

Gust
06-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Been there early this morning and again this afternoon catch nothing, any tips on fishing the Rez

i never managed to get there today but will be there saturday/sunday so if you're heading there drop me a line

Dust1n
06-21-2011, 08:55 PM
whats the best hook?

the one the fish are bitting are :)

Gust
06-21-2011, 09:00 PM

it is quite muddy so you must be consistent on where you are casting and the lure needs to be felt through your rod so you know that the fish is feeling the lures action in the water. once the fish has detected the action it will hone in on the whereabouts, hence, working the exact same spot again and again. i find some of the larger mepps spinners give off a mighty good whirrrrrrrrr

Dust1n
06-21-2011, 09:04 PM
it is quite muddy so you must be consistent on where you are casting and the lure needs to be felt through your rod so you know that the fish is feeling the lures action in the water. once the fish has detected the action it will hone in on the whereabouts, hence, working the exact same spot again and again. i find some of the larger mepps spinners give off a mighty good whirrrrrrrrr

in the fall after a rainstorm the big browns would follow it up and then they lost it then again its worth doing a rod swing after you pull your hook out for them followers in murky water

Gust
06-21-2011, 09:08 PM
in the fall after a rainstorm the big browns would follow it up and then they lost it then again its worth doing a rod swing after you pull your hook out for them followers in murky water

yes, exactly.

the rez is for a very patient, focussed fisherfolk, sometimes it's easy but mostly it's persistence and remembering what took place when a fish hit. another thing is, if you've never fished it, it's tough to figure out it's nuances,,,, i think it's called fishing,, but i could be wrong.

Pike'n'walleye
06-21-2011, 11:16 PM
Just came back. The water is low, muddy and has a fast current. tried everything from huskyjerks to spinners to bouncing jigs on the bottom. Not a single bite. At least I got out and it was beautiful.

bubbles
06-22-2011, 12:00 AM
the first photo is awesome !

Great pictures!

Pike'n'walleye
06-22-2011, 12:13 AM
the first photo is awesome !

Great pictures!

thanks! taken with an iphone :sHa_shakeshout:

Gust
06-22-2011, 12:33 AM
thanks! taken with an iphone :sHa_shakeshout:

I had an older Nokia that took pics that were stunning.

Hey, Pike, if you get your lures (Buzz bombs, Rattlins) to make a whirrrrrring feeling through your rod, like the sound of the Jetsons car, you'll catch em. if you want burbs, you can fish from the Island where it's sooo deep, that you cast, click your bail and it sinks to in front of you, it's also a hang point for rainbows. I'll be there tomorrows eve.

chubbdarter
06-22-2011, 12:39 AM
I had an older Nokia that took pics that were stunning.

Hey, Pike, if you get your lures (Buzz bombs, Rattlins) to make a whirrrrrring feeling through your rod, like the sound of the Jetsons car, you'll catch em. if you want burbs, you can fish from the Island where it's sooo deep, that you cast, click your bail and it sinks to in front of you, it's also a hang point for rainbows. I'll be there tomorrows eve.

theres a island?

Gust
06-22-2011, 12:57 AM
theres a island?

you mean, An Island not A island and yes and it's a Penninsula right now and the fishing off it facing SSE is really good, fish hang out behind it in the little Bay as they can't pass through the little inlet.

I've decide to be less shush on the rez.

chubbdarter
06-22-2011, 01:02 AM
you mean, An Island not A island and yes and it's a Penninsula right now and the fishing off it facing SSE is really good, fish hang out behind it in the little Bay as they can't pass through the little inlet.

I've decide to be less shush on the rez.

thanks for the lesson in proper wording..............

Gust
06-22-2011, 01:05 AM
thanks for the lesson in proper wording..............

you are welcome

Pike'n'walleye
06-23-2011, 12:29 AM
theres a island?

X2

and also what size buzz bombs?

fisherjam
06-25-2011, 12:44 AM
Went 4 times already caught nothing not even a bite, need somewhere else to go fishing .. Hows dewitts Pond or Airdrie Pond, how do i get there

Pike'n'walleye
06-25-2011, 10:55 PM
Fished at the north glenmore park as well as the point near the canoe club....again not a single bite...only a couple of birdsnests with my brand new Curado...:angry3:

BeeGuy
06-25-2011, 11:04 PM
If anyone catches an aquatic vertebrate in Glenmore Rez, please post it. Despite the hype, I can't believe the fishing is that good. I'll give it a shot if the water clears up, but not until it does.

Oh and,

Pics or it didn't happen!

jeprli
06-25-2011, 11:44 PM
Look into shallow areas, i would avoid deeper water.

tonka
06-26-2011, 12:45 PM
I have my kayak in the res 3 days a week in the summer after work. I have after 100 plus times had 1 bite and a lost fish. I don't beleive there are fish there

Gust
06-26-2011, 12:53 PM
listen to the guy who posted before you,,, actually the rez takes focus, it's not an every cast sort of place, it takes knowledge and persistence even note taking, it aint the happy catch'em all day pond,, for some reason, just because it's plonk right in the middle of the city (sort of), it doesn't mean it should be treated less than par with a fine mountain lake.

try slow trolling a larger cleo and explore.

jeprli
06-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Im gonna check where all them fish are on Tuesday. You guys sure spend a lot of time empty handed. No i don't catch big trout every time but at least half dozen pike while searching for browns. Before closure of glenmore i had a decent brown following my lure, that same evening i sent my dad to the same spot. After a few pike he lost a massive trout, it took his flatrap right under his feet and ran with it without stoping. One massive run, straight hooks and a demolished rapala to bruise his lifetime experience.

Best strategy is tO wait for the fish to show itself, than make a cast to it, rip the crank past the fish than make a pause and be ready for a tug. Hits are so powerfull that there is no need to make a hookset(fOrgot to mention that to my dad).

Last year i had a smaller brown chase my bomber, on the pause it took that bomber 3 feet in the air and took a serious run with it. Trout from glenmore have at least twice the strength of Bow river trout of same size. A lot of fun, patience and presentation is the key.

Christofficer
06-26-2011, 05:40 PM
I've been fishing glenmore all my life, and here's my tips for the people being skunked or the skeptics.

Fish at night in the summer. Glenmore is a relatively shallow reservoir on the south end with some deep spots, but you'll have much better luck at night when the fish are active. the island area mentioned is good, because fish cruising the shallows seem to congregate a little more. Plus, it's probably the deepest part in the south area of the reservoir.

Presentation and lure size is most important. I always found myself catching pike when fishing for trout with spinners and smaller rapalas. One time fishing for burbs off the north glenmore docks with a large smelt, I caught no burbs and 3 big rainbows that night. That excited me because I knew there were rainbows present, catching a bunch of them upstream with flies.

Catching the pike are self explanatory. You can fish for them any time of the day. The only fish I ever caught there during the day was pike, and a few trout on gloomy days. They seem to favor spinners over traditional pike lures like plugs, cranks, or spinner baits.

For burbs, I have NEVER caught a burb anywhere else in the res except for the south mouth under the causeway. They are everywhere in the res but for some reason I just haven't caught them anywhere else. But have heard of them being caught off the south glenmore point just off the bike trail.

Never caught perch or whitefish in here, but have honestly never actually targeted them. I seen more than a few over the years fishing here. Fishing for trout upstream I came across huge schools of them.

Rapala countdowns from 2" to 4" in many different colors, buzz bombs same length sizes as the raps, and willow blade rooster tails have all produced the most trout for me. Spoons work as well.

For pike, use pretty much anything you have caught pike with in the past. Spinners are the best for me, I caught about 40 pike during a hot summer day just using spinners, most pike being over 20". I dunno how I did that because it never happened again, lol. But still one of my go to lures for the res when I want some pike.

For burbs, fish at night unless it's very late in the season. Plunk a smelt on the bottom, put a bell on your rod, and bring a couple of beers and wait for the bite. You might get lucky and catch a few rainbows like I have.

For the whitefish, you can probably target them best by using things like fake salmon eggs during the fall season. I never tried targeting them though like I mentioned before, but have caught lots upstream and caught pike with them in their bellies.

I'm probably forgetting something, but whatever. Give night fishing a shot, well into the mid morning and I'm sure you'll catch something. The fish can be very picky and shy in glenmore so patience and persistence is key. I spent many nights at glenmore fishing until sunrise. Sometimes though, whatever you try just isn't good enough. That's why it's called fishing and not catching I guess. lmao.