PDA

View Full Version : getting into fly fishing...any pointers?

bwcweld
06-20-2011, 08:57 PM
Got a fly rod and reel for fathers day and am going to start trying it out here. Just looking for some pointers. I've got lessons booked with udo in high river but am open to everyones suggestions.

billwminnow
06-20-2011, 11:54 PM
Make sure it gets down depth is still my problem but its practise you also want the indicator up near the top of the leader depending on the length of it

Hooks san juan worm wooly bugger stone fly make sure you have split shots or tungstein beads to get down

Marc

flyfishing only 902
06-21-2011, 08:25 AM
he said tips on fly fishing not bobber fishing :p lol
patience and dont worry so much about catching fish right away as pay attention to your casting and line mending technique. also dont worry about how far you can cast,just really focus on making a proper cast,the distance will come later.

Welcome to the most enjoyable and at times most effective way to fish and enjoy some time outdoors.

bwcweld
06-21-2011, 09:58 AM
I always see guys in these weedy lakes landing big fish left and right with their fly rods and not fighting the weeds. also nice on these shallow streams.

ÜberFly
06-21-2011, 10:03 AM
My advise...

Crack is a cheaper addiction!! Maybe not a fun (or as healthy), but in the long run cheaper!! :)

P

QUOTE=bwcweld;983958] Just looking for some pointers.

but am open to everyones suggestions.[/QUOTE]

AnglerCraig
06-21-2011, 11:02 AM
It's stonefly season so as soon as these Alberta streams and rivers clear up throw some imitations in likely trout holds and that should get you going. Also maybe practice on lakes just to get used to it, it's easier than rivers for sure!

Good Luck!

:)

Darren N
06-21-2011, 02:19 PM
The library has a great resource of "How to" books and videos. I spent a whole winter reading and watching for free, and even if it's a few pointers you learn, you are that much better off. Then practice your casting in a school playground after you read the "tech" part of it. I was amazed at the people that came by and offered help or advice. A few smart ass as well comments but who cares.

fishstix
06-21-2011, 02:57 PM
Id say take your rod out into the backyard or the park and start casting. Use a real fly. I say that because when you get out to a river you'll be using a real fly, not a small piece of yarn. Wear some safety glasses. Really you dont need to cast more than 20-25 feet most of the time.

Gust
06-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Id say take your rod out into the backyard or the park and start casting. Use a real fly. I say that because when you get out to a river you'll be using a real fly, not a small piece of yarn. Wear some safety glasses. Really you dont need to cast more than 20-25 feet most of the time.

Great advice,, I also recommend picking obstacles in the park,, i.e., stand with your back to some hedges, stand astride the hedges with the wind coming towards you, find a long grove of trees and practice in a closed canopied area (don't use a hook on this one). Then you can start to guage your ability in different circumstances. anothe one is to find a stream of various depth and see how well you can get about,, wading is an art to. Don't get caught up in looking like a newbie on the water, chances are others will come and give you tips and flies.

I was fishing hardware at Fish Creek last year and a newbie was way out in the big flow,, after awhile he came in and we shared a sip and chatted bout the Bow. He had just moved from N.S and always wanted to learn to flyfish and fish the Bow. Long to short, I gave him a handfull of #20 gnats, he headed out with one of my flies, though not as far as he thought he should be, fed his line into an undercut and caught a gorgeous Rainbow. People down the Bow will more than usually give you hints and ways to read your River.

Have Fun, be safe (nothing wrong with wearing a PFD out there)

ericlin0122
06-21-2011, 04:07 PM
My advises,
1. don't poach someone else's spot without even asking
2. stay out of the water

Gust
06-21-2011, 04:15 PM
My advises,
1. don't poach someone else's spot without even asking
2. stay out of the water

I found when I was new to it, the last thing I would do was try ripping line around people and would stop if people were walking nearby, thereabouts 1 mile (jk).

The water right now is iffy but there will be a time when he'll venture out,, kayakers PFD's don't get in the way too much.

Okotokian
06-21-2011, 04:25 PM

I've found a fly unnecessary. most are basically weightless. However, if you must, remove the point of the hook. A rookie trying to learn to cast on his or her own? pretty easy to get yourself hooked.