PDA

View Full Version : Grassy Lake

crudedude
06-21-2011, 02:25 PM
Howdy all

Just wondering if anyone has been out to Grassy lately. Would like to know what the boat launch and the water levels are like. Have not been there in a few years. Does the land owner still permit random camping. Thanks for any input.

192 whitey
06-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Howdy all

Just wondering if anyone has been out to Grassy lately. Would like to know what the boat launch and the water levels are like. Have not been there in a few years. Does the land owner still permit random camping. Thanks for any input.

I was out there a week ago there was a couple campers out there, have to launch beside the real launch the sand was hard so no problem fishing was good for walleye and perch found them in 45 feet and no bladders out on the walleyes good luck

crudedude
06-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the information.

huntsfurfish
06-23-2011, 05:02 PM
I was out there a week ago there was a couple campers out there, have to launch beside the real launch the sand was hard so no problem fishing was good for walleye and perch found them in 45 feet and no bladders out on the walleyes good luck

Hope you kept them all! Guess, what I should have said was hope you only caught legals cause any you released wont survive.

They were dead fish if you released them!

PS, no need to fish anywhere near that depth.

192 whitey
07-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Hope you kept them all! Guess, what I should have said was hope you only caught legals cause any you released wont survive.

They were dead fish if you released them!

PS, no need to fish anywhere near that depth.

Yes we kept all the perch they were all eaters as far as the walleyes like I said no bladders were out,so we believed they were coming into the deep to feed from shallower water they were in great shape we kept 2 for supper both 57 cm. in the live well they were live and kicking at the end of the day when we cleaned them they both had 10+inch perch in there bellies thanks for your concern though

huntsfurfish
07-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Bladders dont have to be out of the mouth for damage to be done.

Walleye(or any fish, except lake trout) caught from 45 feet of water will die!

And there is really no need to fish for them that deep anyway. They can be caught in 5 - 15 feet of water too!

As soon as you near 30 feet of water you are injuring/killing fish that you are releasing. The deeper the water the lower the survival rate.

33 feet of water at sea level is one atmosphere I believe. The higher the elevation the shallower you should be fishing. That is if you are concerned about the fish you are releasing.

While it is not illegal to fish in deep water (check the regs book for their recomendations). It is is in our fisheries best interests if you and others would not fish in deep water. Spread the word, it is too common having fisherpeople fishing in to deep of water.
Fish in shallow water are there to feed and usually easier to catch!

192 whitey
07-03-2011, 11:57 AM

And there is really no need to fish for them that deep anyway. They can be caught in 5 - 15 feet of water too!

As soon as you near 30 feet of water you are injuring/killing fish that you are releasing. The deeper the water the lower the survival rate.

33 feet of water at sea level is one atmosphere I believe. The higher the elevation the shallower you should be fishing. That is if you are concerned about the fish you are releasing.

While it is not illegal to fish in deep water (check the regs book for their recomendations). It is is in our fisheries best interests if you and others would not fish in deep water. Spread the word, it is too common having fisherpeople fishing in to deep of water.

I agree with everything you quoted however in some bodies of water walleyes will make brief forays into deeper water from shallow to feed I assure you these ladys were just fine I have fished walleye live release tourny's for the past 13 years and have never lost a single fish ever!

huntsfurfish
07-03-2011, 03:15 PM
I agree with everything you quoted however in some bodies of water walleyes will make brief forays into deeper water from shallow to feed I assure you these ladys were just fine I have fished walleye live release tourny's for the past 13 years and have never lost a single fish ever!

I have been involved in Tournaments for over 20 years now and my experiences have shown that it does make a difference when fishing in deep water.

Likely the fish you have weighed have not come from deep water then. Or you have fizzed the fish to allow them to swim away (which is against the rules in the SAWT)(and not good for the fish either-increases mortallity rate).

I believe there are some older threads about this issue that you could/should check out.

Suggesting to others to fish in 45 feet of water is really not a good thing.

pickrel pat
07-03-2011, 04:19 PM
i was told if you horse em up from the big deep, they die..... so, if you bring em up slowly will they adjust fast enough not to die?

Woody_16
10-14-2011, 02:16 AM
Just out of curiosity, could someone explain to me the actual reason why pulling fish out of deep water is bad for them? I'm a certified scuba diver and the first thought that comes to mind is the same reason why divers make safety stops before coming to the surface to prevent all sorts of bad things from happening to them.. is this the same idea for the fish? Also, what is fizzing the fish? Thanks! :)

Shmag
10-14-2011, 07:05 AM
Just out of curiosity, could someone explain to me the actual reason why pulling fish out of deep water is bad for them? I'm a certified scuba diver and the first thought that comes to mind is the same reason why divers make safety stops before coming to the surface to prevent all sorts of bad things from happening to them.. is this the same idea for the fish? Also, what is fizzing the fish? Thanks! :)

Yep...pretty much the same idea as scuba diving. The fish's bladder is like a balloon. If it inflates and cant release the air it will turn them belly up or in some cases will come right out of their mouth.

Fizzing is when someone takes a needle and inserts it through the skin and into the bladder and releases the air. Fizzing is frowned upon as its probably just a slower death for the fish. In a derby it probably gives you enough tme to get him weighed in but if officials find evidence of fizzing would result in a DQ...

Oh and welcome to the forum Woody

slivers86
10-14-2011, 10:57 AM
i was told if you horse em up from the big deep, they die..... so, if you bring em up slowly will they adjust fast enough not to die?

I've heard this too. Mind you in C&R fishing isn't your goal to minimize play time to maximize survivability? I never fish any lakes unless its from shore though, so what would I know :P

The Elkster
10-14-2011, 11:26 AM
Lake trout aren't the only fish able to adjust quickly enough to survive big depth changes. Pretty much any trout can and burbot can and I believe pike can too. Any other fish that can burp to releave air expansion effects. I also think the bladder design is a factor for things like trout. Lakers will burp but the other trout don't seem to rely on that mechanism so much. On the coast salmon, halibut and ling cod manage fine...rock cod not so much. Ling will often burp up their lunch while they are at it...makes for some interesting finds. Got an octopus out of one this year:)

Gary K
10-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Where is grassy lakes? i know where the town is and have been down there but never seen grassy lakes, is it another name for sherburn?

LCCFisherman
10-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Yup

Redfrog
10-14-2011, 12:07 PM

A good reason to do away with C&R.:scared0018:

huntsfurfish
10-15-2011, 09:04 AM
A good reason to do away with C&R.:scared0018:

No, actually a good reason to stay out of deep water
And not if you stay in 25 feet or less of water.

Fish are shallow alot more than people think. And they are in there for only one reason(excluding spawning), and that is to feed. You can find fish shallow all year round!

Lake trout are the only species that can survive being fished deep.

Redfrog
10-15-2011, 09:10 AM
Really????
So if I hook a fish and he heads for deep water, I cut the line when he hits 24 feet.

WOW!
No more C/R for me I don't want a bunch of dead fish on my conscience.

pikester
10-15-2011, 09:47 AM
It is a scientific fact that when walleye are caught & released from water deeper than 27ft, the mortality skyrockets to something like 12-15% then an additional 5% for every 8-10ft after that. Going by that chart a walleye released from a catch depth of 40+ ft would have a mortality rate of approximately 22-28%! Not worth the risk to the fish in my books just have a few in the net.