PDA

View Full Version : Amundson floating line sinks....

Lefty-Canuck
06-21-2011, 10:52 PM
I just got some new line for a fly reel I picked up....it is Amundson FLS-F8, desription says "weight forward fly line, floating" it is 8 weight. The problem is I went out fishing tonight and as I was stripping line I noticed what I was stripping next to me (this was calm water too) was sinking.....any other floating line I have used and stripped beside me has floated....even on the retreive it didn't seem to have floating characteristics

The line is really bright orange, and usually sinking lines are neutral or dark colors (clear, black, green....right?). Wondering if anyone has run into this before?...before I call them and make a fool of myself I figured I would do it here first!

LC

chubbdarter
06-21-2011, 10:55 PM
shelf stale?
clean it , dress it, try again

Lefty-Canuck
06-21-2011, 10:57 PM
shelf stale?
clean it , dress it, try again

How do I dress it? I am a newbie to this fly fishing thing... :)

LC

chubbdarter
06-21-2011, 11:00 PM
How do I dress it? I am a newbie to this fly fishing thing... :)

LC

mild dish soap in warm water to clean....dry well
wipe down with flyline dressing

Lefty-Canuck
06-21-2011, 11:03 PM
mild dish soap in warm water to clean....dry well
wipe down with flyline dressing

thanks chubb.....I guess I made the assumption with new line I wouldn't have to go through the hassle. Now I have to go find some dressing for it....

LC

chubbdarter
06-21-2011, 11:07 PM
thanks chubb.....I guess I made the assumption with new line I wouldn't have to go through the hassle. Now I have to go find some dressing for it....

LC

alot of lines,especially specialty lines sit on the shelf for along time.
Check it for hairline cracks....if you see some take it back

boot
06-22-2011, 08:07 AM

LC

I think that's a fair assumption. Having to clean and dress a brand new fly line doesn't sound normal to me. Also, not all fly lines are equal in quality... I'm not sure about Amundson lines, but their reels definately have quality issues. I have 2 Amundson reels (both TSX, but different sizes) and one of them works well and has never given me a problem. The other one has a faulty drag system, which slipped on me once when I had a big fish on and almost birds-nested my fly line. Personally, I'm done with Amundson equipment.

Also, I was told not to cheap out on fly line when I first started. I didn't listen and I bought cheap fly line. In hindsight, I should have listened, because it can make a huge difference.

I'm a big fan of Rio fly lines now and I think it's worth the investment. It'll last you a few years if you take care of it.

ÜberFly
06-22-2011, 09:55 AM
Did you cut the tip at all so that water got in and saturated the core? Either way, next time buy a higher quality line! If it came in a "kit" then I guess you are SOL. You could always try to contact Amundson and see what kind of warrantee they offer on their lines if they don't, then there's your answer!!

RIO, SA and a few others offer at least a 1 year warrantee on their lines. The old saying, you get what you pay for holds true once again!

P

goldscud
06-22-2011, 10:00 AM
You get what you pay for...cheap line from China tends not to float. Better to invest in Sci Angler or Rio

greylynx
06-22-2011, 12:38 PM
Tell Admundson what happened.

Quality issues are not what an up and coming company wants.

http://amundson.ca/feedback/feedback.html

Daceminnow
06-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Tell Admundson what happened.

Quality issues are not what an up and coming company wants.

http://amundson.ca/feedback/feedback.html

funny pic on that link to their site. looks like a national park warden, hat and all wading in a river fishing. stick in one hand and checking his email on an iphone with the other.

ÜberFly
06-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Hopefully you are within 30 days or you are SOL!

All Other Accessories
30 days Unconditional Warranty
Lines, Headwear, Footwear , Storage Boxes, Knives, Pliers, etc.

CanAlta
06-22-2011, 05:03 PM
I have Amundson First Catch 8wt floating and its been good to me.

Lefty-Canuck
06-22-2011, 08:13 PM
I bought an Amundson reel and it came with line...I did not snip the casting end......it simply just sinks........ill see how they respond to an email I sent. In the mean time I will buy some worthwhile line. I usually use Cortland but I figured if they were going to throw in line with a reel I would use it....bad idea. I'll just use this as some type 1 or 2 sinking line! lol.

LC

ÜberFly
06-22-2011, 10:16 PM
Please keep us informed on their response. I'm curious to find out how their customer service is (I have recently heard of an "interesting" exp. on a fly-fishing board)...

P

Lefty-Canuck
06-24-2011, 12:41 AM
I havent heard back yet.....I went out today and bought some Cortland Species Specific line today....

http://www.cortlandline.com/products/default.asp?id=79

Got this in an 8wt and fished it, works pretty good was out for a couple hours tonight and caught 8 pike before the clouds rolled in. The best part "IT FLOATS!!!", lol

Had to laugh I was fishing from shore in my waders and some guys in a boat trolled by to say Hi. They asked if I had any luck....at that point I had caught 6.....they laughed and said ya ok....we have caught one each. No sooner did that happen and I nail one right in front of them..."There's one!" I say...."Seriously???".....so I bring it in and release it and then they are all over me for what I use, etc.... :)

LC

ÜberFly
06-24-2011, 09:03 AM
I'll be surprised if you do hear back, actually!!

P

Lefty-Canuck
06-24-2011, 09:07 AM
I'll be surprised if you do hear back, actually!!

P

Yah I have that feeling as well....its a shame as they are a Canadian company (I think?). Once you are known for your poor customer service people show their opinions of that with buying power....

Not a huge loss...the line was "thrown in" as it wasn't part of the item description but if you are going to throw something in then it should be funtional.

LC

Lefty-Canuck
07-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Update....

I sent Amundson an email asking about the issue I had with the line.....and no response. My disatisfaction will be expressed with my buying power and not putting my money their way in the future. Too bad they are Canadian and I would like to support them....

LC

Geezle
07-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Update....

I sent Amundson an email asking about the issue I had with the line.....and no response. My disatisfaction will be expressed with my buying power and not putting my money their way in the future. Too bad they are Canadian and I would like to support them....

LC

Sorry to hear that they let you down like that :sign0176: