PDA

View Full Version : how do i fish this fly

fishstalker
06-22-2011, 12:58 PM
hi, i have this fly, i believe it to be called a stimulator. I dont really know much (anything) about this fly other than it can be used for brook trout and that its a dry ( i think )

so any suggestions?

1/2 oz Bucktail
06-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Best dry fly ever. Grayling love these.

DaveFish
06-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Best dry fly ever. Grayling love these.

x2

fishstix
06-22-2011, 01:45 PM
Ya thats a stimulator. Great fly if your fishing a creek or river. Put some floatant on it and cast upstream. I caught my biggest brown on a stimulator.

Deb
06-22-2011, 01:45 PM
One of my favorites, as well. Get yourself some yellow ones, too. Just keep them nice and dry so they stay afloat (use floatant sparingly if you must use it at all).

flyfishing only 902
06-22-2011, 02:25 PM
get it in green and yellow bodies in various sizes fish it dry and hold on. next to gold ribbed hares ear the stimulator is my fav trout fly. 2 years ago i fished a whole season on the north ram without ever changing flies. cutts love them

fishstalker
06-22-2011, 02:40 PM
thats great guys!
thanks for the info,

i primarily fish still water, so any tips on fishing the fly, like doi fish it like a tom thumb or more like a bait?

flyfishing only 902
06-22-2011, 02:42 PM
i dont have a lot of experience yet with it on stillwaters but it seems to work best fished on a dead drift in rivers

fish_e_o
06-22-2011, 02:58 PM
stillwater i like to plop them down hard and let them sit there dead for a bit, 1 minute at leas,t if they don't hit it right away sometimes the take is so subtle you wont see it. then give it a good yank (strip in 6-10 inches of line) then let it sit a bit longer if nothing comes for dinner try another few pulls or retrieve and try again in another spot.

there have been times where just a little wiggle sets them off after it has been sitting for a bit

fishstalker
06-22-2011, 04:15 PM
hehe, that's a nice pic fish_e_o

and size wise, about an inch and a half long? smaller larger?

thanks again

Flieguy
06-23-2011, 09:38 AM
I fish these out of my kayak all the time on stillwaters, just cast it out, take in the slack, and leave it there as long as you can wait. if there are fish rising near you you are in business

Dust1n
06-23-2011, 09:50 AM
cast it out by slack current, by rocks/ledges, by the bank where tall grass is
just about anywhere were one of these stoneflies could fall into. there not great flyers so dont cast out in the middle so much but if a trout sees it there wont be turning back.
you can dead drift it and also twitch and skit across the surface
BIGGER the better fish wont care how big it is in most cases unless the trout are 4 inches long.

BlueNorther
06-23-2011, 02:52 PM
One of my favorite flies too. I use it on still waters with good success. Even water logged it will take trout.