PDA

View Full Version : To the idiots at Muir lake today

flyfishing only 902
06-22-2011, 02:39 PM
im not sure what the fines are and such in this province but i sure hope they are as harsh as back home. i tried to be nice and explain to you that there was a minimum size of 50 cm and a bait ban on the lake after you had already killed 2 fish that were under size,which you caught with power bait. im guessing you tried to plead ignorance but failed seeing as how you cant get to the lake without going past the signs posted that state the regulations. anyway thank you for the "****** y*u Bud" and i hope you enjoyed you time with the officers

timsesink
06-22-2011, 02:41 PM
well done!

steve
06-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Is powerbait considered bait?

flyfishing only 902
06-22-2011, 02:45 PM
did you really just ask that ? lol :p
anything that has any type of scent is considered bait. weather its a live minnow,powerbait, or a sprayed or dipped lure.

steve
06-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Learned something new.

Bait — the definition of bait (see Definitions) includes, but is not restricted to: corn, cheese, marshmallows, meat, maggots, meal worms, earthworms, wax worms, gammarus shrimp, leeches, terrestrial insects, the larvae, pupae or adults of aquatic insects (e.g., stonefly, mayfly, caddis fly), bait fish, parts of fish, fish eggs, scented baits, power baits and all additives that scent or flavour artificial baits and lures.

flyfishing only 902
06-22-2011, 03:01 PM
thats a much better definition :) and funny thing is for some reason i wasnt thinking flies lol

Albertafisher
06-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Good for you, man. Gotta love them rude poachers..... I bet the officers straightened them out!

BGSH
06-22-2011, 10:19 PM
regardless using bait or not he still kept two fish even though your only aloud 1, and the fish were small, that alone is a big fine, should be at least 500 per fish and seprete fines for using bait as well and keeping over limit amount of fish, at wabamun fines for keeping fish are running in the thousands, so i hope everyone always grabs a copy of the regs.

Lefty-Canuck
06-23-2011, 12:11 AM
When you called F&W were you there when they showed up? Good on you for sticking up for the resource.

LC

alodar
06-23-2011, 04:38 AM
Good on u

timsesink
06-23-2011, 07:11 AM
story defintely needed

Sundancefisher
06-23-2011, 07:42 AM
Another great story from someone taking to heart their duty to protect our shared resources from illegal activities.

Cudos!

Alberta Bigbore
06-23-2011, 07:55 AM
Right on !

Darren N
06-23-2011, 07:57 AM
Good for you! Muir has more signs, and common knowledge about it than most any other trout lake I have seen. Ignorance is no escuse.

Trout Addict
06-23-2011, 08:01 AM
Thats awesome, well played sir!!!

I am curious what using bait and keeping two undersized fish would look like as a fine?

pretty sure it would be ugly, but I am definitely curious

missmyhusband
06-23-2011, 08:09 AM
Thats awesome, well played sir!!!

I am curious what using bait and keeping two undersized fish would look like as a fine?

pretty sure it would be ugly, but I am definitely curious

http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/regu/sor-98-246/latest/sor-98-246.html

bottom of the page.

Catching and retaining more than daily quota

100, plus 20 for each fish in excess of the quota to a maximum of $1, 000

Exceeding possession limit

100, plus 20 for each fish in excess of possession limit to a maximum of $1, 000

Sportfishing with prohibited bait

Not as hefty as one would think!

flyfishing only 902
06-23-2011, 08:12 AM
no i left before i called as im more the type of person to jam their bait up their a** then keep my cool.
i grewup fishing atlantic salmon and brookies in nova scotia. especially on the salmon rivers we take regulations very serious. i also guided from the time i was 15 till i was 22 and am very passionate about maintaining good sport fisheries. i do understand the fact that yes sometimes people just dont know the rules BUT the fact is it is every single person who fishes responsibility to educated themselves on the regulations of where they are fishing.
if this was on the north ram or a similar place im not so sure i coulda kept my cool.
i stood by and watched the mainland of my home province get fished out and destroyed in a span of 15 years. now if you wanna go fish mainland nova scotia you will be fishing for smallmouth bass and chain picks. not atlantic salmon or sea run brookies.
what i am trying to say is that alberta has the regs and the officers to actually enforce and i plan on helping both to protect such a great natural resource.
the best part about this to me is who in hell would ever wanna kill and eat a 20inch+ trout from muir anyway? be easier just to eat a handful of mud lol

flyfishing only 902
06-23-2011, 08:16 AM
http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/regu/sor-98-246/latest/sor-98-246.html

bottom of the page.

Catching and retaining more than daily quota

100, plus 20 for each fish in excess of the quota to a maximum of $1, 000

Exceeding possession limit

100, plus 20 for each fish in excess of possession limit to a maximum of $1, 000

Sportfishing with prohibited bait

Not as hefty as one would think!

WOW!!!!! i cant believe how low those are. in nova scotia if you keep a salmon thats over 63 cm 24.5inch the fine is in the $20 000 range you lose your car/truck and in some cases even your house as well as never being allowed to fish or hunt legally in the province ever again.

ogre
06-23-2011, 08:24 AM
Well done! and Thank you!

Jwood 456
06-23-2011, 08:58 AM
Kudos to you for standing up against those basts!

birchy
06-23-2011, 09:06 AM
WOW!!!!! i cant believe how low those are. in nova scotia if you keep a salmon thats over 63 cm 24.5inch the fine is in the $20 000 range you lose your car/truck and in some cases even your house as well as never being allowed to fish or hunt legally in the province ever again.

Yeah, they don't mess around back home. Out here.. they do. It's a joke, really. Then, when you see the stats about how many "warnings" get written up, versus tickets, it's even more frustrating.

flyfishing only 902
06-23-2011, 10:19 AM
ya its funny. the officers actually seem to be here to enforce much more severe punishments but they dont. and back home the punishment is severe but not many officers to enforce it lol

armymike24
06-23-2011, 10:55 AM
I was in the Fishin Hole a few weeks ago and this guy came in and asked for advice on what to use to go fishing. His english was pretty bad so the sales guy was doing his best to try and find out where and what he wanted to fish for. I can't remember his exact words but after some advice from the sales clerk on using the regulation book to find an open lake where you can keep something they guy essentially said he didn't care about the regulations and just wanted to catch a bunch of fish...then it got awkward.

I guess it must have been right at the end of May that this happened because I was stocking up for a trip to Calling the next day. When I got to the counter the sales guy asked me where I was headed and then told me it didn't open till the following day. I knew that, wasn't heading up till the next morning anyway. Then he said some guy was in there a couple weeks before and said he had been fishing up at Calling. I laughed and asked him if the guy said how he had done but I guess he got quiet about the whole thing when the sales guy told him it was closed to fishing till June 1st. Surprised he didn't get busted.

billie
06-23-2011, 11:21 AM

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/media/archive-eng.htm

Maybe a bit embellished?:thinking-006:

flyfishing only 902
06-23-2011, 11:29 AM
http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/media/archive-eng.htm

Maybe a bit embellished?:thinking-006:

i cant even find where the actual amounts are and i also havent lived at home for almost a decade now so i have no idea what they actually are. my point was its a hell of a lot more then $100 or $200 and why have the officers if the penalties are so low people pay them no attention?
i do know for a fact with salmon the fines are in the thousands and they will confiscate your car/truck and in atleast one case i know have taken a house and property as well.

ElkhairC
06-23-2011, 05:29 PM
Good for you.
Hopefully the idiots learn something.

kingkongpennock
07-04-2011, 12:39 PM
the best part about this to me is who in hell would ever wanna kill and eat a 20inch+ trout from muir anyway? be easier just to eat a handful of mud lol

X2

Kokanee9
07-04-2011, 01:18 PM
When you called F&W were you there when they showed up? Good on you for sticking up for the resource.

LC

Lefty - I like how you ended that. ...."sticking up for the resource."

lone wolf
07-04-2011, 01:26 PM
Hat's off to you !! We definitely need more people to help F&W when needed.

grind stone
07-04-2011, 02:27 PM
I wanted to ask flyfishing only 902 somthing but i se he is suspended oh well .