PDA

View Full Version : Just getting started!

slivers86
06-22-2011, 04:16 PM
So, went out and got me a good old ugly stick and a kvd30 reel to get to some light work this summer. I wanted a few hooks, so asked the guys at bass pro, and picked up the mepps Black Fury, Agila x2, and a thunder bug. I also go a 2" buzz bomb as they said it works wonders on pike and some larger fish.. any other additions? I will mainly be in the bow south end of calgary, highwood, sheep, pcr and maybe the odd random lake / kananaskis creeks etc. Targeting trout mostly, but want to get some mean old pike here and there.

Also, looking to get out friday during the day, if anyone wants to take a newbie out!

Cal
06-22-2011, 05:16 PM
For predators I think its manditory that you have a few Len Thompson spoons, some jigs, and a plug or two. I would suggest jigs in black, white, and yellow, for plugs the original Rapala and Storm Hot'n Tot would have you covered pretty well. For Len Thompson spoons the five of diamonds and red and white are essential, I've had good luck with the brass/orange and firetiger patterns as well. I would also add a spinnerbait or two to that list.

For trout Len Thompson spoons in smaller sizes, some small spinners, and a few flies are a good start as well as the terminal tackle needed to fish flies and live bait. Slip bobbers, sinkers, casting bubbles, nails etc.

BigIrv
06-22-2011, 08:35 PM
X2 on the Lennies. They have served me very well over the years. Lots of jig/grubs with multiple colors to change up.

If you want trout, try the nickel/blue len thompson. I have caught lots of rainbows with that. As well as panter marting and mepps spinners.

Good luck and tight lines!!

Dust1n
06-22-2011, 08:37 PM
chrome and blue husky jerk works great on pike,walleye and browns!