PDA

View Full Version : What kind of lure I should use for rockies in Bow river Calgary

tristan
06-22-2011, 09:46 PM
I like to fishing on Bow in Calgary for rockies. I know there are lots of them here but not sure what kind of lures works best. Any suggestions?:thinking-006:

Daceminnow
06-22-2011, 09:58 PM
I like to fishing on Bow in Calgary for rockies. I know there are lots of them here but not sure what kind of lures works best. Any suggestions?:thinking-006:

as much as i hate to say it. wire san juan 7' to 9' under a bobber.

Dace

Fisher_man#1
06-23-2011, 02:30 PM

Definitely a San Juan worm and some small nymphs like princes, pheasant tails and copper johns. As mentioned earlier you could rig it under a bobber or try bottom bouncing it through deep pools and runs.

Cheers,

Braun
06-23-2011, 02:47 PM

what area in the city are you?

tristan
06-23-2011, 03:45 PM
S.E. Cranston. I found some threads from you about rockies fishing. They are very helpful. Where do you ususally go?

Braun
06-23-2011, 04:06 PM
northwest in the city. If you are cranston, apparently the sheep used to be infamous for harbouring tons of whites. If you could find them I would go there before the bow. You could definitely use a slip bobber as dace said. Might be really really helpful when you are in slower water / on a muddy bottom.

Logan
06-23-2011, 08:47 PM
Royal Coachman tippet with ONE maggot if applicable.

Daceminnow
06-23-2011, 09:15 PM
northwest in the city. If you are cranston, apparently the sheep used to be infamous for harbouring tons of whites. If you could find them I would go there before the bow. You could definitely use a slip bobber as dace said. Might be really really helpful when you are in slower water / on a muddy bottom.

not quite the bobber i was referring to cowboy. i guess it could work, but i've never spun fished the bow river. there a nice deep section just downstream of the glenmore launch, the whites stack up in there in the fall. easy to walk and wade out to.

Speckle55
06-23-2011, 11:39 PM
If you are a spin caster use a bell weight on the bottom of line and come up six inches and make a loop and ty a fly on .. then come up a foot and ty another loop and ty another fly on.. if it is legal on the bow to use two hooks off one line .. the flys i use up here are Royal Coachman .. Royal Humpy..Royal Wuff ..Black Nat.. Mosquito..Yellow Dung.. but if you have those other flys mention just ty them on ...the keys is not too big a bell u want it to drift as you keep your line tight.. if you can wade out in riffles above the hole you are going to fish do so,, it is like chumming the hole.. ooopppss .. good luck:sHa_shakeshout:David