PDA

View Full Version : What does a guy need for lakers?

Geezle
06-22-2011, 11:10 PM
Title says it all really.

A good buddy offered me a spot in his boat for a trip to Cold Lake in about a month. Neither him or I have ever done the laker thing. He's got a pretty nice boat, so that's not an issue, but what does a person need as far as gear goes? :huh:

The Fisherman Guy
06-22-2011, 11:43 PM
Depends on how you will be fishing.

If you want to troll, find the thermal cline and pull blue crank baits and plugs behind a flasher or gang troll on it. I like Lyman plugs, great action and hand carved wood from Kelowna.

If you want to jig, which is what I would be doing, white tube jigs seem to be the common choice. There is a lure called the Cold Lake special that I would look into picking up ;)

Other than that, I hear that Bondy baits makes a great jig. I have only found them in huge sizes, so I have not picked one up yet because it just seems too big for Minnewanka. Cold Lake could be another story.

Good luck up there, I have always wanted to fish Cold Lake Lakers. Be sure to post up a trip report when you get back!

Rick.
06-23-2011, 12:41 AM
Lakers like big spoons too. Rick.

-JR-
06-23-2011, 06:12 AM
So whats the best trolling speed at cold lake ?

Jwood 456
06-23-2011, 09:08 AM
If you have a sonar, look for the thermocline and the schools of baitfish within that zone and troll a large half wave spoon, or a large 5 o diamonds. Another technique is to use a large cutplug herring.

This is the link of how to rig a cutplug herring.
http://www.salmonuniversity.com/ol_htrh_pc1_index.html

Dust1n
06-23-2011, 09:43 AM
half wave spoonns, white tubes, buzbombs,

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
06-23-2011, 11:25 AM
Title says it all really.

A good buddy offered me a spot in his boat for a trip to Cold Lake in about a month. Neither him or I have ever done the laker thing. He's got a pretty nice boat, so that's not an issue, but what does a person need as far as gear goes? :huh:

Jay Ill get you some of them 1 oz White on white bucktail jigs , also buzz bombs , and if you have acsess to a couple Down riggers theres a few other options but White is the ticket with them thing , like a 1 or 2 oz White Jig tube work well . But Ill make ya up some of them big boys next time I see ya ill give you them , had a guy order 12 of them and he just ordered more because he ended up giveing a bunch away . So tells me they must work or he wouldnt come back for more .

FishBrain
06-23-2011, 11:45 AM
I agree with white, but dont pass by the glowing tube jigs, I do best with glowing ones.

Cal
06-23-2011, 05:33 PM
I recently stumbled across a website where a guy explained how he would troll for lakers from a canoe on wilderness trips. Basicly he used a spinning rod with 6 lb line and a 2 oz weight on a threeway rig. Using somewhat smaller lures than normal he claimed he could troll this down to depths of 100' and caught plenty of fish this way.

tyee33
06-23-2011, 07:53 PM
green headed teaser and a herring. Was out today, landed 10 in 4 hrs, biggest, 13 lbs. Was out at the cap, few boats in the area.I came from northern Ontario where we would land lakers on NK spoons, tried them here, no luck, the lakers in Cold Lake are picky, when the bite is on, shes on, when they are not bitting, the only thing getting them to your boat is the CIL wobbler. All the jigging with tubes and buzz bombs work great in the winter, had little luck with them in summer. Also, no need to go and buy gang trolls, willow leaves, flashers etc, they will take a herring rig without any of that stuff, never used them here and have landed my fair share of fish. Not saying they wont work but I wouldnt go and buy that stuff if not needed, have all that stuff in my box and use it on Van Island:bad_boys_20:

Cal
06-23-2011, 07:58 PM
Heres a link to that site, I know you guys have a boat and not a canoe but this information should be usefull anyways if you dont have downriggers.

http://www.laketrout.org/algonquin-trout-fishing-canoe.htm

Geezle
06-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Jay Ill get you some of them 1 oz White on white bucktail jigs , also buzz bombs , and if you have acsess to a couple Down riggers theres a few other options but White is the ticket with them thing , like a 1 or 2 oz White Jig tube work well . But Ill make ya up some of them big boys next time I see ya ill give you them , had a guy order 12 of them and he just ordered more because he ended up giveing a bunch away . So tells me they must work or he wouldnt come back for more .

Sounds good John, you rock! :sHa_shakeshout:

Geezle
06-23-2011, 09:37 PM
What about rods/line? Does it need to be pretty heavy duty? I'm guessing line capacity is a concern when going deep for the lakers?

BGSH
06-23-2011, 09:51 PM
i caught some lakers on the didley diick

Geezle
06-25-2011, 09:48 PM
What about rods/line? Does it need to be pretty heavy duty? I'm guessing line capacity is a concern when going deep for the lakers?

Nobody? :o

TreeGuy
06-25-2011, 09:56 PM
Jay, we troll heavy action Ugly Stiks on Minnewanka with 300'+ of 30# braided line. No such thing as overkill on that lake. Have a great trip and good luck. :)

06-25-2011, 10:33 PM

Use your Sturgeon rods , Might wanna get them babys spooled up or just add another 100 yards of something .

Geezle
06-25-2011, 10:38 PM
Jay, we troll heavy action Ugly Stiks on Minnewanka with 300'+ of 30# braided line. No such thing as overkill on that lake. Have a great trip and good luck. :)
Good good, that's what I like to hear! :cool:
Use your Sturgeon rods , Might wanna get them babys spooled up or just add another 100 yards of something .

Whaddya mean get them spooled up? Everything is loaded :cool:

Edit: I've got the 400 size Catala loaded with a full 125yd spool of 50lb PowerPro plus whatever of that Gorilla Braid stuff is for backing. The other one that would probably come with me would my my Sahara that's loaded with as much 80lb PowerPro as will fit on the 4000 size spool. I've got a spare spool for that one so I could load that up with something with a smaller diameter so I could cram more on there as well. Unless I get my Corvalus back by then :rolleyes:

From the sounds of things we'll be mainly jigging and letting the electronics do the work since downriggers etc aren't really in the cards.

06-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Good good, that's what I like to hear! :cool:

Whaddya mean get them spooled up? Everything is loaded :cool:

From the sounds of things we'll be mainly jigging and letting the electronics do the work since downriggers etc aren't really in the cards.

Go pick up 4 or 5 Dipsy divers does the same thing as a Down rigger but without a downrigger . Well Like 300 yards of line or better loaded up ? I got you them jigs to .

Geezle
06-25-2011, 10:42 PM
Go pick up 4 or 5 Dipsy divers does the same thing as a Down rigger but without a downrigger . Well Like 300 yards of line or better loaded up ? I got you them jigs to .

I edited my last post ^^

The Sahara *might* have 300 yards on it...hard to say :thinking-006:

edit: actually my Solstace is FULL of 30lb Fireline Crystal too...

06-25-2011, 11:03 PM
I edited my last post ^^

The Sahara *might* have 300 yards on it...hard to say :thinking-006:

edit: actually my Solstace is FULL of 30lb Fireline Crystal too...

Still doenst change the fact you can use Dipsy divers instead of downriggers . 9 to 16 bucks pick up a few and you can now troll to .

https://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?imageSku=3826856&enlargeSkuz=21928&GETPRODUCTSBYCLASSG=04C&SORTPRODUCTSBY=ASC&D=04&FILTERBYPRICE=AND

-JR-
06-25-2011, 11:07 PM
If the weather turns around you will need down riggers or dipsy divers to get deep .
fishing line ....15 lbs braded line. . When are you heading out ?
Maybe I will head out that weekend also. Told sheepstalker I would take him if the weather gets better. Do a laker fish fry...... cajan style !

Geezle
06-30-2011, 11:33 PM
Well, Saturday we're doing a scouting mission, and then the middle of next month we're heading out there for a full weekend.

For Saturday I think it'll just be a mainly jigging mission, letting the electronics do as much of the work as possible. I got myself a couple 2oz Bionic Bucktails and some giant white (and one glow) tube jigs and a few of the 2oz heads to go with them.

I'll be using my 7' MH Rhino rod with probably my 4000 size Shimano Solstace loaded with 30lb Fireline Crystal.

Does this all sound reasonable?? :thinking-006:

I'll also have along my 6'6" M/L Shimano Sojourn/Quantum Burst loaded with 30lb Fireline and appropriate hardware for walleye/pike duty if we decide to change tactics :)

dfrobert
07-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Heres a link to my "go-to" spoon. Don't be afraid to troll the large sized ones either!!

http://www.luckystrikebaitworks.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=21&osCsid=5de4f735ec4d3d6a60daa40b40447f3d&cPath=5_141