PDA

View Full Version : Wabamun poacher

BGSH
06-23-2011, 10:35 AM
Was at Wabmun with jasonp and carter when carter and jason pointer out a guy reeling in a pike up onto the bridge that alone would stress a fish, i thought ok hes gonna throw it in and im gonna go have a talk with him but he wasnt putting it back in the water, didnt even bonk it on the head, it was just floppin on the bridge, keep in mind wab is catch and release on everything, called fish and wildlife, was gonna take them a while to get there as this was just before dark, i went over there and had a great talk with the guy :) took some up close and personal professonal photos of the guy up in his face, was great, fish and wildlife were so happy with us, its hard to create trophy fisheries with idiiots who catch and keep from lakes they cant keep fish at.:argue2:

flyfishing only 902
06-23-2011, 10:43 AM
good job man :)
someday people will realize there are plenty of places they can keep fish from. i wish they would go enjoy those MEAT fisheries and leave our sportfishing places alone.
i think its great when people have the courage to stand up for something !!!!!!

Albertadiver
06-23-2011, 10:45 AM
How did you keep the guy from punching you out while taking photos of him?

Dust1n
06-23-2011, 10:46 AM
Was at Wabmun with jasonp and carter when carter and jason pointer out a guy reeling in a pike up onto the bridge that alone would stress a fish, i thought ok hes gonna throw it in and im gonna go have a talk with him but he wasnt putting it back in the water, didnt even bonk it on the head, it was just floppin on the bridge, keep in mind wab is catch and release on everything, called fish and wildlife, was gonna take them a while to get there as this was just before dark, i went over there and had a great talk with the guy :) took some up close and personal professonal photos of the guy up in his face, was great, fish and wildlife were so happy with us, its hard to create trophy fisheries with idiiots who catch and keep from lakes they cant keep fish at.:argue2:

kool story lol im surprised he never knocked you out.

Scotty P.
06-23-2011, 10:51 AM
How did you keep the guy from punching you out while taking photos of him?

LOL I was thinking the same thing! Here I thought it was going to be a slow day on here, thanks Shawn!

BGSH
06-23-2011, 10:51 AM
accually it was great, he was shaking and scared, his excuse was im from out east, i was verbal going crazy when i found out f&w would be a while, so i told the guy u get regs when u get your licence, and its wab who doesnt know it c&r.

Albertadiver
06-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Should have just pushed him off the bridge.

Gust
06-23-2011, 11:08 AM

You get-off on confrontation, it will back fire one day,,, your job is calling it in, not getting in someones face, and being that he wasn't formally charged yet, you can't take pics without permission.

Shawn, seriously, get a license plate and just call it in.

slivers86
06-23-2011, 11:11 AM
You get-off on confrontation, it will back fire one day,,, your job is calling it in, not getting in someones face, and being that he wasn't formally charged yet, you can't take pics without permission.

I have to agree, plate, what you saw, and give a statement so they can prosecute. Easier than taking the chance the guy punches you out, or even pulls a knife and gives ya the business :argue2:

mszomola
06-23-2011, 11:13 AM
I just dont understand why people play the ignorant card and think no ones noticing them. I know none of the fish caught by the traverse spill way ever get measured ...

flyfishing only 902
06-23-2011, 11:13 AM
Should have just pushed him off the bridge.

in an ideal world lol

as much as it ****es me off i do try to use some sort of caution when dealing with these people as it does have the potential to get very bad very fast.
i helped catch an inbred backwoods didler way back when i was 14 for netting the river for salmon where i grew up,only to have him try to drown me the following year on the same river. also had an incident in cape breton nova scotia with a few natives where i had a rifle pointed at me.
both are drastic examples but i feel that the potential is always there and i usually fish by myself so i try to be a little more stealthy about it.

either way again congrats and good job !!!!!

Albertadiver
06-23-2011, 11:15 AM

X2. You're not law enforcement. I'm kinda scared what it would be like to deal with you if you ever had a badge.

BGSH
06-23-2011, 11:20 AM
oh come on now relaxe, i accualy told him it was illegal then he ignored me, thats when i ****ed me off more, i took photos from far with a 30xzoom in so nice up close photos from far away :) i stand up for what i believe in, when you see poachers as much as we do, its gonna **** you off to.

walking buffalo
06-23-2011, 11:22 AM
accually it was great, he was shaking and scared, his excuse was im from out east, i was verbal going crazy when i found out f&w would be a while, so i told the guy u get regs when u get your licence, and its wab who doesnt know it c&r.

I'd say your chance of ever being accepted as an F&W officer is now officially 0 !

baitfisher83
06-23-2011, 11:23 AM
I wonder if Shawn carries a cape with him on all fishing trips......

BGSH
06-23-2011, 11:26 AM
relaxe walking buffalo, he was shaking and scared not to sure why though, and yea i was yelling to put the fish back, doesnt do justice to the guy we saw last week with ten pike in a bag

Albertadiver
06-23-2011, 11:26 AM
I wonder if Shawn carries a cape with him on all fishing trips......

Nope... that would be too obvious.

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/albertadiver/6DB0A25F.jpg

baitfisher83
06-23-2011, 11:27 AM
nope... That would be too obvious.

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/albertadiver/6db0a25f.jpg

lmfao

BGSH
06-23-2011, 11:37 AM
the point is report poachers, dont throw them in and there gear in, if we didnt have the regs in place we would not have any fish at all, goodluck, im heading down to the river tonight, should be a good evening fishing on the n.s.r

walking buffalo
06-23-2011, 11:38 AM
relaxe walking buffalo, he was shaking and scared not to sure why though, and yea i was yelling to put the fish back, doesnt do justice to the guy we saw last week with ten pike in a bag

You're telling me to relax? :lol:

Fishing is obviously not providing the release you need, try eating Ice cubes.

Albertadiver
06-23-2011, 11:38 AM
To clarify,

Shawn, it's very commendable you called it in. That's what us citizens should be doing.

The rest of the way you described the encounter is just plain wrong and it appears you get your kicks from confrontations. One of these days, it'll be you that ends up with a black eye or worse.

BGSH
06-23-2011, 11:40 AM
I didnt meen to say it so dramatic then what it was, wish there were sound effects.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
06-23-2011, 11:46 AM
Don't worry , if people are breaking the law report it , As It is we have a enough trouble with keeping our fisheries sustainable never mind the poachers and criminals to assist that .

Secondly Shawn , I don't think there is any need for you to be taking pictures your not the next Dick Tracey or Sherlock Holmes . Get the guys plate number , description of the offenders , details of the offense a Time and Location and report it accordingly . Ive reported several people with great consequence to them . Ive never taken pictures , video , I report like I'm told to . Don't get killed for trying to be the next super hero . And for god sakes don't yell at someone . Let them know they are in the wrong at very most but I wouldn't even do that call report a poacher .

And to the people trying to get a rise out of Shawn grow up this isnt playschool anymore . They guy is trying to help out , hes obviously young and eager . At very least he cares about our sport .

Lefty-Canuck
06-23-2011, 11:55 AM
I agree, I have been a little overly vocal in my first and thankfully to date only witness to poaching....having to do it over I would collect the info as stated and submit it. I have to admit I was really choked about what I saw and my anger towards that mentality got the best of me in that situation.

Another thing, Shawn comes on here posting about his fishing spots....openly asking others to join him....he takes all criticisms very well and still has open arms to gettting people out fishing and involved. I think at some point it would be good for people to lay off him a little bit....I haven't met him yet to go fishing but I do intend on it. This is a great community we have here and just like all disfunctional families there is the weird uncles and the cranky grandpas and the cocky kids in the family....I think making fun of someone from a computer desk when it is not friendly ribbing is uncalled for....IMHO.

LC

FishingFrenzy
06-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Seriously guys.. I've poked fun at shawn once or twice but your being a bit hard on him.. grow up.
Yeah he overdramatizes things, I think he knows that. Your all making fun of him for being "super hero in training" but in all honesty, your hunched behind your computers playing "keyboard warrior" cracking jokes and making fun of Best Guide..
Think long and hard of why your making fun of him.. and exactly what your posting....

my thoughts.

chubbdarter
06-23-2011, 12:12 PM
This can be argued till every poacher is dead.
Simple fact its very clear how the authorties want us to use the RAP program.
Its not so much making fun of Shawn or members growing up, its more the members telling every one else this is not the right way to report a poacher.
Shawn i appreciate your young and passionate but there is alot of younger people on this site that may use your techniques and i fear 1 day the outcome will not be good. Many young minds will see your desire to become a wildlife officer....see your a good fisherman and a well liked guy, this is a recipe for a young person to be a copy cat.
Do the sport of fishing a huge favour....set a good law a biding example for young fisherman....USE THE RAP PROGRAM AS DIRECTED IN THE FISHING REGULATIONS.

walking buffalo
06-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Most will agree, including myself, that's Shawn's actions are well intended.

However, a pattern has been shown in his posts regarding his actions when witnessing possible fishing infractions.

Shawn has ignored repeated advice to cool it when confronting people HE suspects of poaching. This advice has been offered to him for his safety and for advancement of his professed desire to be a F&W officer.

Shawn has the option of not acting immature when witnessing Possible poaching incidents and then posting what he later describes as embellished stories.

I disagree Lefty and BBJ, the posts admonishing Shawn's confrontational style ARE given with good intentions. I sincerely hope he learns from them.

scudman
06-23-2011, 12:18 PM

oh come on now relaxe, i accualy told him it was illegal then he ignored me, thats when i ****ed me off more, i took photos from far with a 30xzoom in so nice up close photos from far away i stand up for what i believe in, when you see poachers as much as we do, its gonna **** you off to.

So he was shaking scared...but ignored you? I also saw a unicorn battling Super Mario in my backyard today.

Jasonp
06-23-2011, 12:21 PM
To be fair shawn just over dramatizes it lol. I told him he should go see because we couldnt see from so far away. Shawns become my daily fishing buddy n hes a great (very lucky) fisherman. We have had some good times

Jasonp
06-23-2011, 12:22 PM
So he was shaking scared...but ignored you? I also saw a unicorn battling Super Mario in my backyard today.

This guy has a hard on for you shawn lol

scudman
06-23-2011, 12:23 PM
This guy has a hard on for you shawn lol

no, actually I dont, but I bet that would be Shawns fantasy.

Jasonp
06-23-2011, 12:27 PM
no, actually I dont, but I bet that would be Shawns fantasy.

Did shawn call rap on you? Is that why u always chime in on his posts with useless crap

scudman
06-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Did shawn call rap on you? Is that why u always chime in on his posts with useless crap

nope, I live nowhere near him. Its a forum, im free to speak my mind thanks.

And why am I even talking to you.

Jasonp
06-23-2011, 12:33 PM
nope, I live nowhere near him. Its a forum, im free to speak my mind thanks.

Youd think that but when u mention the word azn/oriental your not free to speak it

Daceminnow
06-23-2011, 12:36 PM
you backstreet boys sure are some tough buggers that see a lot of illegal activities. i guess you'll see a lot when you never venture off the beaten tracks. report what you see, if you're gonna play tough guy quite posting the smack down adventures on AO already. you'll meet your match some day soon, and most likely it will be more than your camera swimming. we don't want to hear about that encounter either. how old was this kid?

Jasonp
06-23-2011, 12:37 PM
you backstreet boys sure are some tough buggers that see a lot of illegal activities. i guess you'll see a lot when you never venture off the beaten tracks. report what you see, if you're gonna play tough guy quite posting the smack down adventures on AO already. you'll meet your match some day soon, and most likely it will be more than your camera swimming. we don't want to hear about that encounter either. how old was this kid?

The white guy was mid 30s

scudman

x2......

pickrel pat
shawn is good people. hes takin me fishing soon!

scudman
06-23-2011, 12:38 PM
shawn is good people. hes takin me fishing soon!

whos bringing the lu.........never mind

Jasonp
06-23-2011, 12:41 PM

Hahahaha god your soooo funny.... You must have been the bully no one liked in public school...

pickrel pat
06-23-2011, 12:41 PM

is that a feeble attempt to call me down because i said shawns a good guy? you need to grow up! now get back to school! lunch times over.

scudman
06-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Hahahaha god your soooo funny.... You must have been the bully no one liked in public school...

nope not quite

scudman
06-23-2011, 12:44 PM
is that a feeble attempt to call me down because i said shawns a good guy? you need to grow up! now get back to school! lunch times over.

Did I say anything wrong? Lunch is over already? well that was quick.:)

That cut me real deep`:lol: everyone's got a big mouth and is 9' tall over the internet.

BGSH
06-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Im heading out fishing tonight, and yes jasonp called rap as my phone fell in the water and was usless for a coupe days, just goes to show you people dont read regs or they do but they lie about it when you catch them poaching. In other provinices the fines are very very steep, its not the point of the fines though, its saving wildlife and fishing opportunities for generations to come. you can keep pike from most lakes around alberta so why do it at wab just doesnt make sense.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
06-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Did I say anything wrong? Lunch is over already? well that was quick.:)

That cut me real deep`:lol:

Mason when the hell are you gonna get the hint that no one wants you or your comments on this board . You never have anything productive to say , you , only thing that comes outta your posts is a whole lot of smack talk . I wish they would ban you yet agian .

SammyIam
How many times in other posts on AO, when someone is describing witnessing poachers, has it been recommended by so many on here that pictures are taken? And now people are saying don't take pictures???

BGSH
Jason seeya tonight at five man, severe t-storm watch in effect

scudman
06-23-2011, 12:48 PM
Mason when the hell are you gonna get the hint that no one wants you or your comments on this board . You never have anything productive to say , you , only thing that comes outta your posts is a whole lot of smack talk . I wish they would ban you yet agian .

Oh but John I have many friends on this board, I new you would chime in once your mouth was not full.

and smack talk? Im more then happy to say what I say here, to anyone's face.

Jasonp
06-23-2011, 12:49 PM

Hah! Thats funny n makes me smile. I x2 it

BGSH
when i was talking to the f&w officer on the phone, he said take pictures and even a video.

baitfisher83
It's one thing to report poachers, I in no way condone poaching. but it seems as if you're constantly looking for a fight with the people you claim to witness poaching. That is not what RAP was meant for, the officers are the ones who are actually supposed to confront the accused, not you. I've also called RAP on people before myself, but I don't come on AO looking for a virtual pat on the back every time I think I see someone poaching. I seriously hope F&W doesn't hire you, the last thing they need is another hero with a badge.

BGSH
06-23-2011, 12:53 PM
Scudman are you kidding me, why you so mad for, why do you pick on members, leave bbj alone, unreal.

scudman
06-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Scudman are you kidding me, why you so mad for, why do you pick on members, leave bbj alone, unreal.

LMAO!!!!!!!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

pophouseman
06-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Has anyone else noticed the amount of poaching going on in the edmonton area lately.In the last 3-4 weeks I have seen more people poaching then I have in my last 4 years fishing in the edmonton area. What's going on?

scudman
06-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Has anyone else noticed the amount of poaching going on in the edmonton area lately.In the last 3-4 weeks I have seen more people poaching then I have in my last 4 years fishing in the edmonton area. What's going on?

Its not only the larger city's my friend. I live in a very small town and you would not believe the amount of poaching that happens. I have business cards from the fish and wildlife officers here as they are willing to come out at anytime if a person witnesses poaching. Just remember to take a camera, notepad for info (waterproof notepads are the best) and have the RAP number handy.

I am also amazed at the amount of bragging that spews out of peoples mouths about there poaching. But its ok, I take mental notes and always watch for them.

BGSH
06-23-2011, 12:58 PM
when i see someone fishing in a bad way, im going to say something, im gonna try to educate them, show them the reg book i carry, then if they continue saying I DONT CARE, then yea im going to call r.a.p and take pics and a video, come on now if no one stands up for the wildlife of alberta then someones gotta do it, im sorry but how often do you go out and see people poaching almost every trip we go, doesnt everyone here want wildlife around for ever

scudman
06-23-2011, 01:00 PM
when i see someone fishing in a bad way, im going to say something, im gonna try to educate them, show them the reg book i carry, then if they continue saying I DONT CARE, then yea im going to call r.a.p and take pics and a video, come on now if no one stands up for the wildlife of alberta then someones gotta do it, im sorry but how often do you go out and see people poaching almost every trip we go, doesnt everyone here want wildlife around for ever

Its not your job to confront people, some people will take that in a very bad way, even the most calm looking person and turn hostile in a matter of seconds. When your out alone and confront someone and get stabbed, shot, beat...then what? were those words of wisdom you had for that person worth it?

pophouseman
06-23-2011, 01:00 PM
I wonder if the F&W are giving out warnings more then tickets. People don't seem to be deterred lately. Maybe they should make a bigger fine for a first offence.....impound a vehicle maybe......it just seems to be worse then ever out there.

BGSH
06-23-2011, 01:01 PM
anyways scudman, i wanna meet you, come down to hermitage tonight, i will be there till dark, anyone elese come down as well, always willing to meet new people, 780-991-7767, have a great day, enjoy the t-storms.

scudman
06-23-2011, 01:03 PM
anyways scudman, i wanna meet you, come down to hermitage tonight, i will be there till dark, anyone elese come down as well, always willing to meet new people, 780-991-7767, have a great day, enjoy the t-storms.

I actually do not live anywhere near you otherwise I would consider it.

stay safe out there

chubbdarter
06-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Sadly after 2 pages the point has been missed or ignored

on telus mobility...#3800

whitetail Junkie
06-23-2011, 01:07 PM

I dont know about you....But when I Eat Fish I like them Poached :lol:

baitfisher83
06-23-2011, 01:08 PM

on telus mobility...#3800

His hair is likely still fluttering.

saddleup
06-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Shawn... I commend you for T.I.P, your only mistake was saying anything on this forum so the internet police could roast you.... shame on you guys...

pophouseman
06-23-2011, 01:11 PM
I dont know about you....But when I Eat Fish I like them Poached :lol:

Funny, I prefer a boiled Sturgeon smothered in a Bull Trout Reduction!! :sHa_shakeshout:

scudman
06-23-2011, 01:14 PM
Funny, I prefer a boiled Sturgeon smothered in a Bull Trout Reduction!! :sHa_shakeshout:

um..ok guys...gotta at least have a "over the limit from Wab" pike stuffed mushrooms as an appetizer.

chubbdarter
06-23-2011, 01:18 PM
Shawn... I commend you for T.I.P, your only mistake was saying anything on this forum so the internet police could roast you.... shame on you guys...

How can you truely believe that this is good example for young fisherman?

Its a matter of time before someone gets hurt

then where does the shame on you go?

scudman
06-23-2011, 01:20 PM
How can you truely believe that this is good example for young fisherman?

Its a matter of time before someone gets hurt

Well when the OP gets thumped then "saddleup" can post

"well it was worth a try,great effort Shawn, I will come visit you in the IC unit"

Gust
06-23-2011, 01:23 PM

We are not grilling him, we are a slightly older group of people who are wise to confrontation and where it can lead, and are hoping that he doesn't get injured or killed via his vigilance (<sp?).

Albertadiver
06-23-2011, 01:29 PM
How many times in other posts on AO, when someone is describing witnessing poachers, has it been recommended by so many on here that pictures are taken? And now people are saying don't take pictures???

It's good to take pics, but if you read the way Shawn first described the photo's, the assumption is that he's right in this guys face taking pictures and freaking out on him.

If he had initially said that he took some photo's zoomed in for the fish cops that would be a totally different story.

This isn't the first time that Shawn's advocated his own version of 'Best Guide' justice. There are ways to do things. Some are better than others. I (among others) was suggesting alternative measures that would be #1 safer for him, and #2 a better way to improve relations with the actual LEO's. If you see something, take pics, call it in. Leave it at that. If you felt I was roasting him, well, yeah, I guess I am based on how the first few posts were presented.

X2

chubbdarter
06-23-2011, 01:31 PM
To be fair shawn just over dramatizes it lol. I told him he should go see because we couldnt see from so far away. Shawns become my daily fishing buddy n hes a great (very lucky) fisherman. We have had some good times

taste this....you think this chunky milk is off?

Albertadiver
06-23-2011, 01:36 PM

Ahh... yes, I forgot about our our buddy .Loon, Trout, etc.

scudman
06-23-2011, 01:38 PM
:)

flyfishing only 902
06-23-2011, 01:44 PM
you can just feel the love lol

honestly guys fighting among ourselves is pretty pointless and a total waste of time and energy.
i think its obvious we are all on the same side and care deeply for this resource . on many rivers and even some lakes where im from the have what is known as "river keepers" and these are people who keep an eye on things and report anything illegal and even attempt to talk to people doing things immoral IE. playing out a fish in warm water.
why dont we as outdoors people set up either a formal or informal group or association sorta like the gaurdian angels of water ways?
i in no way me vigilante justice(even though i am ofton tempted to resort to it) but just a group of people who care enough to legitimately take this problem on.

Gust
06-23-2011, 01:54 PM
you can just feel the love lol

honestly guys fighting among ourselves is pretty pointless and a total waste of time and energy.
i think its obvious we are all on the same side and care deeply for this resource . on many rivers and even some lakes where im from the have what is known as "river keepers" and these are people who keep an eye on things and report anything illegal and even attempt to talk to people doing things immoral IE. playing out a fish in warm water.
why dont we as outdoors people set up either a formal or informal group or association sorta like the gaurdian angels of water ways?
i in no way me vigilante justice(even though i am ofton tempted to resort to it) but just a group of people who care enough to legitimately take this problem on.

It's been brought up numerous times and most people do steward the little water we have here and simply call it in when something doesn't look right. However, fishing is for the most part a solitary venture, so it takes a fair chunk of either diplomacy or street smarts to keep a situation from excalating.
Most people know they are breaking the law and are pretty up on the penalties, they may also be up on something else (i.e., drugs, ego, a rotten day at work, etc) and it's a gamble not knowing what other factor a stranger maybe carrying.

So play safe and call it in.

Just play safe.

Gust
06-23-2011, 01:55 PM
taste this....you think this chunky milk is off?

very sour,,, I agree.

Jwood 456
06-23-2011, 02:11 PM

um..ok guys...gotta at least have a "over the limit from Wab" pike stuffed mushrooms as an appetizer.

Don't forgett the baked muir lake rainbows under 50cm as the finger food.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Jwood 456
06-23-2011, 02:26 PM

If you anger the wrong guy or and the other guy is drunk or whatever, the consequences may be severe. In Florida, there were these drunk guys that were verbally harassing my sister. My brother gave them the finger then they went to town threatening that they were going to beat us silly and I was even worried that at one point they were going to try to shoot us(in Florida resisdents are allowed to carry guns). It turns out they took off, but if they were physically bigger and or armed, it may have been very ugly. Did you politeley warn the guy first that he was poaching? The guy may not have known that he was poaching at first.

chubbdarter
06-23-2011, 02:28 PM
scud got banned?

buckmaster
06-23-2011, 02:30 PM
:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout::bad_boys_20:scud got banned?

admin
06-23-2011, 02:34 PM
Thread closed. It is beyond repair and it has run it's course anyway.