PDA

View Full Version : Walleye bite

Buck9
06-24-2011, 05:21 PM
What is it about an approaching storm that turns on the walleye bite? Had the good fortune of this on moose lake last night. Caught 14 in 2-1/2 hours plus missed many more.

0liver
06-24-2011, 05:35 PM
were they all similar size? I bet you got lucky enough to hit one of those massive clouds of 2-6lb walleye that seem to hover around shelfs and drop offs. Always great to have consistent action.
how deep were you fishing?

Buck9
06-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Yes all about 4lbs. Have had this happen before at canoe lake. Just heard before that often an approaching storm can turn on the bite. Thought it may have to do with the barometric pressure. Have had good days on moose before just not that good. Was in 17' of water

NSRfishing
06-24-2011, 05:59 PM
i also think the pre storm pre cold front walleye bite can be great sometimes

chubbdarter
06-24-2011, 06:32 PM
heres my 2 cents

fronts have a negative effect on walleye , making them non active. With approaching storm, walleyes go on a feeding spree. Once the front has settled in they dont know when they will eat again depending on the length of the front.
Wind almost always accompanies a front and wind and walleyes is a ideal combination.

Fronts can be clearly watched during ice fishing also. the water levels fluctuating in the hole is a good indicator of what may be coming weather wise. Walleyes feed briefly and heavily during this time too

briangeorge
06-24-2011, 06:33 PM
Me and a friend were on South Buck the other day and had the same results. Fishing was slow all day and I mean slow. At about 3 p.m. the wind picked up and the water was quite choppy. The walleye starting hitting like crazy. We got our 2 keepers and left. Good ending to what was shaping up to be a very slow day fishing.