PDA

View Full Version : Worms for pike?

Thundercatcher
06-24-2011, 09:30 PM
Has anyone used worms to catch pike? What set up do you use? What type of size of hook?

horsetrader
06-24-2011, 09:37 PM
Has anyone used worms to catch pike? What set up do you use? What type of size of hook?

Have never fished for pike with worms but I have caught pike fishing for bass with rubber worms texas rigged

j3006
06-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Caught tons of pike trolling worms and worm harness with bottom bouncers. Largests was a 13.5 lbs beast.

Cheers.

dodger
06-25-2011, 06:22 AM
2 weeks ago I was catching Pike down South and 1/4 of them were puking up worms ! I am just wondering if all the rain washed extra amounts of worms into the reservoir and they were gobbling them up ??

My $0.02 worth.

Dodger.

timsesink
06-25-2011, 07:29 AM
Pike are a predatory fish and eat just about anything but they're main prey is other fish. When I'm targeting pike I stick with using baits/lures that imitate fish. However thats not to say pike won't take a worm I just thinking you've got a better chance using fish imitators and the like. Good luck and tight lines!

fisherrr
06-25-2011, 09:19 AM
use a bottom bouncer with a 40 inch leader. 40 lb test. 2/0 - 4/0 hook.
I tie a snap swivel to the end of the leader. Slide on 3 red beads,baitfish spinner blade,bead then tie a loop in the leader and attach to the bottom bouncer. 2/0 to 3/0 bouncer in 14ft of water. use minnows with a piece of elastic band to hold the bait on. Worms work you need two hooks. I have found they catch more walleye than pike. good luck.

Guitarplayingfish
06-25-2011, 09:43 AM
Pike are a predatory fish and eat just about anything but they're main prey is other fish. When I'm targeting pike I stick with using baits/lures that imitate fish. However thats not to say pike won't take a worm I just thinking you've got a better chance using fish imitators and the like. Good luck and tight lines!

X2.. Caught pike on worms lots before (not on purpose) and even on hoppers, but compared to baitfish and lures, worms do not compare.

trigger7mm
06-25-2011, 12:27 PM
I've caught a lot of pike on worms while jigging or lindy rigging for walleye. It's not the way I'd target them though.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
06-25-2011, 03:06 PM
I like using worms in the winter for pike , even in the summer I guess , You can Drown a worm a long time before it dies , Lasts longer thena minnow or smelt will . Best combo is a spoon and a worm thats instant sucsess . Gets Pike horny for that some way or some how .