PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon w/ only a elec trolling motor?

PlayDoh
06-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Hi
I've been planning to go to Pigeon next week, but I just took the boat out and realized my whole prop hub needs major work.

I've only got a 14' boat with a 55 lbs Minn Kota transom trolling motor, and it pushes my boat with no problem. Its saved my arse a few times, when my Gas Motor wouldn't start. I've motored home, about 5 Km in 1/2hr - 1hr I'd guess, in light wind. I've gone a week, trolling 5+ hours a day with my battery, and I'm planning on grabing another.

So..... I'm wondering if I should just take my gas motor off, and use the electric and stay close to the boat launch? Or take my time and just troll all day, with one eye on the weather. I've read theres good fishing close to the launch at the provincial park, so unless its prone to sudden gail conditions, I'd think I'd be ok.

Yet, I've never been there b4, so I'd like someones advice who has. To be honest I'm kind of liking the idea of no gas beast. I only use it for travel, and I love to just troll from spot to spot.

0liver
06-25-2011, 02:43 PM
with all the pop up thunder storms we've been having, plus with the tornado watch pidgeon lake had a couple days earlyer, i'd probably work on the gas motor. Otherwise, if you can somehow guarentee that its gonna be a picture perfect day, you'd be fine with just a trolling motor. May I suggest trolling the mameo beach area, not saying exactly where, but thats a great area to start.
10lb+ pike easy.
yellow/chartreuse double tail jigs.
big spoons.

Overdrawn
06-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Carefull I have seen the wind come up really quick on Piogen. Launch close to were your going fish. And I would leave the Gas Motor on to use as a rudder to help keep your boat straight. Just really watch the wind. I have seen that lake go from glass calm to 4 foot roller in no time. Have fun I have seen smaller boat out. Hell I used to fish it with a 14' and a 9.9hp Mariner. My Grandpa used to fish it in a 12' with a 6hp Chrysler. It will be fine just use your head.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
06-25-2011, 02:49 PM
I think If you were to Stick to the Provinchal Park there where 85% of people go , when the fish the lake youd have time to get back to shore its maybe 800 to a 1000 yards fromt he launch to where that huge drop off is , and hell if it got real nasty head for the swimin area take paddles with you to that would make the trip back alot faster .

Mudslide
06-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Been there done that. My Minn Kota saved a day of fishing at CVR a couple of years ago when I broke the recoil spring on my outboard. Don't go too far and you should be fine.

PlayDoh
06-25-2011, 08:08 PM
Hey,
Thanks a lot guys. Great advice.

theoutdoorsman
06-26-2011, 12:53 PM
Hello there, Im sure you will be fine with just your electric motor, I was just at pigeon yesterday for the afternoon. Caught 6 from the shore, casting inbetween boats that were getting launched/loaded. I also went out about 100yds in my belly boat and caught another 6-7. These fish are thick in the shallow water, no more than 5 feet deep. Bounce a thumper jig with a dark twin tailed gub along the bottom and they will pick it up. Good luck

Oh and if you have a class C tag be prepaired to get frustrated by the fact that all the fish are 45-50cm. I never thaught I would be getting angry that I could'nt catch a small fish to put in the cooler.