PDA

View Full Version : Okuma Magda Pro with Line counter

thorne
06-25-2011, 03:41 PM
OK, I have been a hardcore Quantum fan for years, but I wanted a level wind for lakers and sturgeon. Why? Heck why not! Anyway I saw this cool little unit from Okuma which seemed pretty well built for the price, so I figured I'd save a few pesos and give it a try. Never used any Okuma units befor so I am just wondering of anyone has any opinions or experience with these..?

Teamprotz
06-25-2011, 03:50 PM
Love their casting , spinning and Carbon concept rods. That reel is a single purpose trolling reel (or jigging) but you should have no problems with it.

thorne
06-25-2011, 04:09 PM
Sounds cool, it will be strictly a jigging, trooling rod with some casting into the river, so I'm excited to see how it preforms. Definately can't beat the price and if it preforms fine then I will be very happy. Will definatley do a write up after I get it out and run it through its paces. Fishing hole sell quite a few of them and have not had any retuned yet so Im pretty hopeful!

camshaft
06-25-2011, 04:14 PM
what kind of price u getting...is it on sale somewhere? Im also interested in a line counter reel, just not sure if I want to spend the money for a Shimano Tekota...

thorne
06-25-2011, 07:51 PM
think is was around $65.00 at Fishing hole...

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
06-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Ive got the Okuma Convector CV 30 D model Love that reel I can cast 85 % across the river , you know where we go witht he line counter just over 400 ft is where I can cast to . Then I ran into some issues but took it back to Trever down at the Reel Doctor and he is preforming open reel surgery to get her back and running , I cant recall the part to do with the clutch , had to order a new part and make her come to life . Hurry up mail strike , screw off rain I wanna go sturgeon fishin . :D :D :D :D :D :D All in all I loved that reel hauled in everything from a 45 '' sturgeon to a 8 lb walleye , very smooth reel .

thorne
06-26-2011, 08:44 AM
Sounds awsome BBJ! I to am waiting for the posties to get this strike thing finished....I have this Okuma reel for lakers next month, but I really want to get the clutch ring for my Quantum Tour Edition PTi 40 back in the game as well for that trip!! and like you part is in the mail!!:angry3:

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
06-26-2011, 10:53 AM
Sounds awsome BBJ! I to am waiting for the posties to get this strike thing finished....I have this Okuma reel for lakers next month, but I really want to get the clutch ring for my Quantum Tour Edition PTi 40 back in the game as well for that trip!! and like you part is in the mail!!:angry3:

Why not take it to the Reel Doctor he is the Quantum guy to get stuff fixed at I am 99 % sure , Give trevor a call he might even have the part there .

thorne
06-26-2011, 11:10 AM
Actually I was gonna take it him first, but it was a Saturay mornig and I was enjoying a coffee on the deck, so I thought i would just fire off an E-Mail to Qunatum as an experiment to see if the responded and what it would be....well holy crap monday morning i got an e-mail saying they were sorry for the issue with the reel and the inconvience of having it out of action and that thay would send one out right away...so I figure heck that responce deserved a follow through. I figured Trevor would have to order the part anyway...but you are right he may have it. If it starts getting to close to Cold lake fishing i'll call him up.

Willowtrail
06-26-2011, 09:10 PM
I just picked up the 20DX from TFH. It was on sale for fathers day week for $50 so I picked it up for lake trout. I haven't been able to try it out yet but the sales guy told me they sell lots and haven't had any returned.

Sorry I can't let you know the quality but can't wait to test it out.

thorne
06-26-2011, 09:31 PM
I just picked up the 20DX from TFH. It was on sale for fathers day week for $50 so I picked it up for lake trout. I haven't been able to try it out yet but the sales guy told me they sell lots and haven't had any returned.

Sorry I can't let you know the quality but can't wait to test it out.

looks like we bit the same bait...looking forward to hearing how it works for you.

freeones
07-04-2011, 10:19 AM
I really hope that all of you that bought the Okuma Magdas have a better experience with them than I did. I've got one, and it's now on my backup, backup trolling setup. I'm not impressed with it at all. The line release mechanism is poorly designed and unreliable, and the drag system is mediocre at best. It lasted about a month of use before I got so ticked off at it that I tossed it aside and bought a Tekota.

The Daiwa Sealines are a better option if you don't want to spend the big money, but if you're looking at a linecounter reel, you'll never regret spending the money on the Tekotas, they're amazing reels.

thorne
07-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Well finally got to use the reel....landed one Laker in the 6-8lb range. Reel worked well so far...had a bit of a learning experience with it. YOu have to have the reel mech in the right place for the release to work, as well as to have it engage...kinda like trying to start your truck with the steering wheel not quite in the right place...but no big problems so far..line counter was accurate according to sonar, and drag worked well.. Ill update after our 3 day trip in 2 weeks!

walleyeca
07-06-2011, 01:37 PM
I PURCHASED A COUPLE OF THESE ACCUDEPTH ICV15L REELS ASWELL AS THE NEW ICV25 WITH BUILT IN SOLAR PANEL! NO MORE MISTAKE LINE RESETS OR ACCIDENTAL PUSH BUTTON SITUATIONS! THESE ONLY COUNT WHEN ACTUAL SPOOL MOVES!!!!!! I LOVE IT AND THEY ARE BUILT WITH SUCH PRECISION AND HAVE A 6.3:1 GEAR RATIO! I BOUGHT THEM FROM SOME SPORTING GOOD PLACE ONLINE!! IF YOU NEED TO KNOW MORE I CAN LOOK UP THE WEBSITE FOR YOU AS I WANT A COULE MORE SO MAYBE WE CAN SPLIT THE SHIPPING??? i HOPE THIS HELPS?