PDA

View Full Version : fishing lake X in the rain

Gust
06-26-2011, 01:14 PM
Went for a very long drive with my Dad for a fill of dinker trout and BBQ on shore,,, WoW!! The carry over stockers from last year are anything but dinker,, the smallest was 1.5lbs biggest 2.5 lbs ,, we kept 8, (throaters were kept, lippers were realeased), released 6 and lost 5,, chunky and super fighters, big unexpected runs and jumping on light tackle.

Had a person come fish right beside us (after watching us catch from afar) and cast over our lines and leave it, we were overtly polite, so the tactic of rude'ing us out of our spot didn't work so well. Being two bigger guys and super polite confuses people. Needless to say, he caught nuthin.

Flyguys were doing well in the morning but by mid day it slowed for them, I'm sure it picked up near sundown. Buggy as hell.

The water was zero visibility, go figure. The meat on the fish we kept was a red as Sockeye and will be in the smoker tomorrow morning.

And I hate to do it but it was Lake X, near the tree's under the sky.

My point of this is post is;

think -bright bait or willowleafed darker baits or bright streamers in white and tinsel- and most of all don't get dejected by the onslaught of rain and don't let the chocolate murk in the water out there put you off- it's making for some of the most amazing fishing of late. And I'm hearing it for most of the Put&Take lakes,,, so bring some rain gear, a crib board and get out there, no matter what it looks like outside.

matathonman
06-26-2011, 01:45 PM
Pics? Sounds like you had fun. I love smoked trout...have three 3 1/2 lbers that are going in the smoker next weekend.
What brine do u use? I use pickling spice with celery salt and then brown sugar. I like it. I'll eat most anything though! Lol

finsnfeathers
06-26-2011, 01:57 PM
I too was at a lake X other day, water was simply mud with a bit of moisture mixed in. Unlike you, i was fly fishing, and didn't have any flies that shot lightning bolts through the water,.... as such, i got skunked. It was a great day exploring the new water in my light craft. except for the 45 minute wind/rain storm that blew through, (washing more mud into the lake). Afterwards, sun came out and i went exploring the water, left the rod idle. Still, a day in the outdoors beats workin.
Last evening, bout 9 PM i headed to the local stocked pond, which doesn't catch so much of the mud runoff. Water clarity was ok. Trout were smashing the surface bugs. Had a black beatle already tied on, so tried it for 5 minutes before deciding they were wanting nothing bigger than the mosquitoes on the surface, so i tied one on, and the fun began. A young lad stomped over, asked how long i'd been there. I replied about 10 minutes, Why? His reply, Mister, i've been here all day with no bites. I took the time to explain to him the trout were doing what comes most natural to them, at that particular time, was feasting on the mosquitoes,..showed him my fly, and explained that his way of fishing works best at times, but if there's obvious surface action, it's sometimes best to give the fish what they're excited about at that moment. I gave him the fish, caught another within minutes, and figured he may as well have it to make for a better meal. Only 10 or 10.5 inch fish. In 40 minutes, i'd caught 3 fish, had numerous other hits, and went home with a smile on my face. Size matters little if the action is good. I am wishing/fishing to hit some larger fish on the Koot next week tho.....fingers crossed!