PDA

View Full Version : Advice on trolling motor/battery

jasher
06-26-2011, 06:54 PM
I just bought sevylor 360 and I would like some advice from you as to which would be my best option as far as selecting a trolling motor and a battery.I am going to use it for trolling and getting around on the lake with the 360. I'm choosing between the endura c2 30lb and 40lb. Would it be better to get the 40lb and use it at first and/or second speed or the 30lb at the 3rd to highest speed? I was thinking of getting the 40 lbs for more power because the boat will carry 2 adults and 1 kid, roughly around 380 lbs(170+ kg) plus battery and gear, so my estimate will be 500 lbs. Or the 30 is sufficient enough? Thanks
What battery should i buy?i know it will be a deep cycle but i'm a little bit confused about the amperehour thing.Any recommendation on a battery that will last me a whole day of use but doesn't cost an arm and leg?

Willowtrail
06-26-2011, 07:55 PM
The more AH the longer it will last per charge.

There are 2 sizes of Deep cycle batteries. Group 24 and 27. 24 are a smaller size and 27 bigger.

I use the Costco Kirkland batteries. Group 27, 120 AH and was $95 + tax and no recycle fee. I did see an add in the Can tire flyer that they have a sale on deep cycles this week.

Deep
06-26-2011, 09:04 PM
If you plan on only fishing a day, like 6-8 hrs Endura is ok. For my money and time I would go with a "Maximizer" type. It can go 3 days on a charge. Very nice for extended trips without a charger handy. I also like the "Rockys" deep cycle battery.

Mudslide
06-26-2011, 09:57 PM
For an application where you are taking a battery in and out of a boat I would get a sealed battery AGM (absorbent glass Matt) No danger of spilling acid in your car or on your clothing. Been there and done that :) They are more expensive but they last twice as many cycles (years not hours)

jasher
06-26-2011, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the reply. So, for battery group 27. I think I so that in costco for $89. What about the trolling motor? Should I go for the 40lb or the 30lb thrust is enough for 3 person? I'll just be using it occasionally so I think I won't need the maximizer feature.

jasher
06-27-2011, 07:58 PM
anyone

ORV
06-27-2011, 08:12 PM
40 lb. i have a 55lb on my sevylor.
30 was not quite enough. i.m.o.

orv.

EZM
06-27-2011, 11:04 PM
I'd get the 40 - simply because you will have the flexibility on using it with your next boat AND you will have plenty of power from a crawl up to a fast troll. It won't need to work as hard and in fact, shouldn't use up to much more juice (if any more). It might last longer too.

With a small boat you should be able to run that (if it's not to choppy or windy) all day (6-8 hours) with almost any deep cycle middle of the road battery. Better batteries $$$ do, however, usually give you better performance.

I have a 40lb Minn Kotta and drag (troll) my 16ft Smokercraft around the lake trolling for 6 hours on a calm day no problem. This boat weighs around 1500 lbs.

I am very happy with it actually and pleasantly surprised with it's performance given the fact that this unit came with the boat (which means, most likely, it is the low cost / low end unit).

sureshot
06-27-2011, 11:51 PM
I picked up the everstart from walmart 120amp per hr 87 bucks works awsome. Only charged it once and have been out 3 times.

Andy

Mudslide
06-28-2011, 12:02 AM
You should always charge your battery after every use. It will last longer and won't let you down in the middle of the lake.

jasher
06-30-2011, 08:38 PM
Thanks for all the response guys. I got the endura c2 40 yestetday...now all I need to do is make a motor mount. Will a solid steel bar be okay to use or should I use conduit?

Do I have to get a boating license/pcoc?

bobalong
06-30-2011, 10:37 PM
The more AH the longer it will last per charge.

There are 2 sizes of Deep cycle batteries. Group 24 and 27. 24 are a smaller size and 27 bigger.

I use the Costco Kirkland batteries. Group 27, 120 AH and was $95 + tax and no recycle fee. I did see an add in the Can tire flyer that they have a sale on deep cycles this week.

There is actually a series 29 and 31 as well

Willowtrail
06-30-2011, 11:34 PM
Thanks for all the response guys. I got the endura c2 40 yestetday...now all I need to do is make a motor mount. Will a solid steel bar be okay to use or should I use conduit?

Do I have to get a boating license/pcoc?

Yes you do

Whiskey
07-01-2011, 01:00 AM
I have a endura c2 40lb and I love it, I have it on an old trihull boat and it works great even loaded. I use a motomaster nautilus marine battery and it will push me around all day long fast or slow. I also have one of those small solar panel chargers that I have on the battery to keep it topped up when I am not at home.

matathonman
07-01-2011, 01:18 AM
I have a endura c2 40lb and I love it, I have it on an old trihull boat and it works great even loaded. I use a motomaster nautilus marine battery and it will push me around all day long fast or slow. I also have one of those small solar panel chargers that I have on the battery to keep it topped up when I am not at home.

Do you use the solar panel while your out on the lake to trickle charge the battery?
I've had pretty good run time with those Nautilus batteries from CT.I can run all day and some in calmer water with a 55 lb thrust running half speed pushing a 16' trolling and working weed beds. lots of charges and they still giver.