PDA

View Full Version : lac de illes fishing

scrapdaddy
06-27-2011, 06:05 PM
hello all

heading up to lac de illes lake in the end of july....

how has the walleye fishing been up there????

also gonna head to flotten lake and try there hows the fishing been there???

FYI THESE LAKES ARE IN SASK IN MEADOW LAKE PARK....

rem300wsm
06-27-2011, 07:13 PM
hello all

heading up to lac de illes lake in the end of july....

how has the walleye fishing been up there????

also gonna head to flotten lake and try there hows the fishing been there???

FYI THESE LAKES ARE IN SASK IN MEADOW LAKE PARK....

hi ive been going to lac des illes for 18 years now have not caught very many walleye dont see to many on the fish camera hit the perch really good a few years back but it is a beautiful lake and nice campsites good luck

slipbobber
06-27-2011, 07:36 PM
We holidayed there last year for a week. Never seen a Walleye. Apparently there in there somewhere. Lots of small Pike in there though. To bad they weren't releast to fight another day.

JJay61
06-27-2011, 08:55 PM
There are LOADS of walley in Lac, and big pearch!!! I had a friend go there last weekend and did really well. I will find out where he went and where he caught them. I know that things will change from now to when you are going but if I can in the next couple weeks I will head out there myself and give you an updated report. From what he said he fished with beef heart on green jig head with a white double tail body. I saw the pictures and he caught some good ones.

scrapdaddy
06-28-2011, 06:15 PM
thanks jjay i would love all the info i can get....

Teamprotz
06-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Yes , that info would be great , we've got cabins rented July 4th to the 8th.

scrapdaddy
07-02-2011, 02:46 PM
anyone else with any help????? still waitin to hear from you jjay61

trigger7mm
07-02-2011, 07:09 PM
We've stayed in the cabins at Big Island Cove before. We caught all the walleye we wanted. Caught them out in front of the cabins along a drop off, but the best spot we fished was past the west side of the big island to the shore on the other side. A dew worm injected with air to float it up off the bottom, with a small colorado spinner rig and walking sinker did the trick every time. Some really nice sized pike in there asa well. It's a beautiful lake. Good luck.

Teamprotz
07-02-2011, 07:21 PM
Any chance you could explain a bit better ? West side of the island to the other shore has me confused. Thanks for the help , we are staying atBig Island Cove as well.

Treadmill
07-02-2011, 08:20 PM
Just got back from Flotten. Wife, I and a friend fished Sunday evening until Thurs nite. All we landed was two northerns and one wally although all were in the 7 lb range. Lake was very quiet with only 6-7 boats but nobody was catching much- mostly pike.

Word is that Jeanotte (not sure of spelling but it is located 6- km south of Flotten) was HOT.

Teamprotz
07-02-2011, 08:52 PM
Jeanotte? Is a beautiful little lake , water the color of a mountain lake. Walleye were all stockers last time I was there but worth the visit.

trigger7mm
07-02-2011, 10:54 PM
When you are standing on the dock at the Big Island Cove campsite, you'll see the big island out in front of you. Look at the west end of the island, and the shoreline past it, the other side of the lake, is the place we fish mostly for walleye. We either drift or troll with the electric motor to the west. Lots of nice walleye in 16-20 feet of water along the rocky shoreline.

Teamprotz
07-02-2011, 11:05 PM
So, north shore of the main lake behind the island. Ive never been there so the pressure is on to find fish for the family and inlaws. Thanks for the help.

scrapdaddy
07-03-2011, 03:38 PM
ty ill give those two places a try....

Teamprotz
07-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Results on friday.

trigger7mm
07-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Keep to the rocky shorelines in water 15-25 feet. Lindy rigs or spinner rigs with worms or leeches fished slow is the ticket. They usually have bait at the store in the campground. Go get 'em!

Teamprotz
07-03-2011, 05:17 PM
All baited up and rigs are tied. I was looking at the lake from the other resort , so from the right resort , directions make sense. Where are the perch ?

trigger7mm
07-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Ranger bay has some hog perch!! Just ask at the store how to get there.

scrapdaddy
07-03-2011, 06:23 PM
cant wait to hear your results on friday....

Teamprotz
07-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Navionics map is all set. Shallow weeds for perch ?

trigger7mm
07-03-2011, 09:17 PM
I've caught them on deep weed edges i summer in Ranger Bay. In the winter it was in about 6 feet of water, in sparse weeds.

vettedreamer
07-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Ranger bay on the inlet huge perch in the bay many perch just smaller. Pelican point across the lake to the left 50 yards 200 yards out from shore monster eyes have a pic on the wall there from my teen years in the range of 10 pounds still on my wall. Purple mister twister 2 tails, sometimes tipped with leach.

Some MONSTER pike straight out from the provincial about 250 yards there is a sand bar troll up and down on the downside of the sand bar, find the color probably now after fluff has stopped anything real bland green nothing real bright.

And just to fulfill an old guys best thoughts take some brickets dig a hole into the sand bury a chicken in foil with the brickets and bury 5 hours tops should be awesome tasting.
Let us know how ya made out.

:sHa_shakeshout:

scrapdaddy
07-04-2011, 06:35 PM
thanks for the tips freespirit ill try them out...

scrapdaddy
07-05-2011, 08:24 PM
anymore advice???? i cant wait for next weekend.... 2 weeks fishing and not catching is still better than 2 weeks at work....

Tikka300
07-05-2011, 08:28 PM
I will be at lac des iles all next week. Looking to tie onto some walleye as well. Talked with a few local guys and they said they can be tough to find but once you find em you'll do good. Hopefully they are not too elusive. See you on the lake maybe.

scrapdaddy
07-05-2011, 09:10 PM
ill be there next saturday and staying for the week,... so if your home before i get there a update would be awesome.....

scrapdaddy
07-06-2011, 07:38 PM
anymore advice?????????????/

trigger7mm
07-07-2011, 10:20 PM
It's true, the walleye can be a little tough to find. That's why using a Lindy or spinner rig is a good way to go. When you find them then you can really work them over. Good luck! I'm looking forward to hearing how you did.:sHa_shakeshout:

orca
07-08-2011, 09:29 AM
Just got back from 2 weeks at Big Island Resort had a great time. Cought lots of 30 to 38 " pike cought 15 one morning from 24 to 33"I was on the lake at 6:00 . Walleye didn't seem to be biting . On last day we found them. about 500 yds out from the resort there is a area where it goes from 40 to 10 ' walleye were in that area. used lindy rig and bottom bouncers for them just anchor and cast. leeches and chads.If you have time take along golf clubs played Northern Meadows course good test and is in great shape.

Teamprotz
07-08-2011, 04:11 PM
OK , if you go , don't just go fishing , go fishing for walleye ! Bottom bouncer , spinner and leeches or worms. Out to the left of BICR , follow the drop , work it up and down , 5 to 20 ft. Fish from in front of the launch to the point on the left and turn around. We caught walleye EVERY DAY. Sorry , you can't just troll a spoon or mister twister and say the walleye aren't biting. Our fish were all 2-5lbs , we caught 30 total fishing only a few hours a day , even got 9 from 1130 till 1pm wednesday. Mid morning was best , evening was ok , always got fish. Quite windy , trolled using the 150 into the waves. Launching is tough with the wind from the west , its shallow and exposed and docking is first come first served ! Went to Ranger Bay yesterday looking for perch , anchored outside everyone catching little pike and got 2 nice walleye on slip bobbers , no perch. Only got 1 walleye past the island along the north shore. I never did see or hear of anyone else catching any walleye while we were there. I was very liberal with where I was fishing too. Take bait , leeches are 5.50 / doz , but the cabins are nice and the bears are friendly.

scrapdaddy
07-10-2011, 04:24 PM
sounds like quality info i will try out next week...

350 mag
07-11-2011, 05:46 AM
I heading to Lac Des Iles for 4 days this week.

I usually fish lakes like Jan, Amisk, or Deshchaumbault because I live up in Creighton, so catching Walleye is NOT really a huge priority for me when I goto Lac Des Iles.

It is a very typical lake for Sask. Poor regs for years and over-fished to the point of collapse of the Walleye fishery. My in-laws have had a lake front cabin there since the 70's and the they used to limit out all the time on Walleye all the time (and so did everyone else that fished it)....you know back when the limit was 8 or 10 Walleye and possession limit was 16 or 20:angry3:.

I have only caught a few Walleye in that lake over the years, but maybe it has picked up with all the stocking, if you goto http://www.saskfishinglakes.ca/ there is a PDF map download of the lake and you can view the stocking info.

SERM hasn't done a test netting of this lake in YEARS so maybe it is time for one of the lodge owners up there to ask/bug them to do it.

I do know one thing....

That when Alberta tightened it's regs on Walleye fishing that M.L.P.P started to see HUGE fishing pressure and for about 5 years when the limits were still 5/day there was HUGE fishing pressure on Walleye....few years later the limits were dropped to 3 in response, and I would like them dropped to ZERO on Lac Des Iles.

Some the spots mentioned here I have never fished before like out in front of B.I.C.R along the drop off.

I have had my best luck before on the Northwest tip of the Big Island.

There is also a cabbage weedbed in front of FAR East Island(on the south facing side) along a drop off that I have been told holds Walleye sometimes.

This year I am going to try fishing longer snells on my spinner baits(around 6-7 feet) with light 6lb Vanish and use the lightest sinkers I can. 1/2 ounce max. IF that doesn't work I am going to go to a lindy rig with NO spinner and about a 10 ft snell and try that.

I was anchored a few years back on the N.W tip of Big Island after a couple of bites and landing 1 Walleye. I dropped the camera in and counted at least 5-7 CHUNKY Walleye suspended about 3-4 feet off the bottom. The fish weren't really actively feeding. I tried light jigs, slip bobbers with both leeches, and worms and only managed 1 more Walleye and that was best fishing I seen on that lake that year. This would have been in about 2007 or 2008.

I would say there is definitely ALOT of Walleye in Lac Des Iles but there is even MORE baitfish and feed(tonnes of Minnows in that lake)....so the Walleye don't really have to work hard to compete for food...so there really is never a HOT bit on that lake...

Hopefully it comes back, and I hope that everyone releases their Walleye on that lake...especially anything over 2 lbs. Breaks my heart to see Walleye over 3 lbs being slabbed at the filleting shack.

scrapdaddy
07-11-2011, 09:28 PM
great post 350.... i like to keep the nice pan sized fish that are good for eating.. but i understand throwing back the mid size to reproduce.... i notice everyone talking about casting and trolling for walleye but no one talks about jigging for walleye with a lead hook and a minnow or leach?????? are the walleye in this lake looking for active bait????? seems to me if there is so many bait fish in this lake a minnow hanging on a hook would be a easy target... maybe its just me thinking that fish are as lazy as me....

Teamprotz
07-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Lots of fish , trolling targets the active ones. They were not schooled up so trolling covers water. Can't argue with what works. Didn't catch ANY fish under 2lbs. The lake is full of minnows , main diet , the fish are full of them. Tried jigging but at midday in the heat. Hooked one big fish , lost it, then caught a sucker.

scrapdaddy
07-13-2011, 07:35 PM
im just happy to catch walleye and maybe throw a few on the frying pan..

Granny
07-27-2011, 12:58 PM
I'm excited to say that I'm making my first trip to Lac Des Iles this Friday, and have all next week off! Doing a bit of research so thanks for the info, I'll post results when i get back. If anyone has recent updates, I'd like to hear them?

Not sure if I'm staying at this lake the whole time or not, depends on how it goes. Staying at Northern Cross Resort campground, of which I have heard conflicting reports (after I booked it of course)? I'm not too fussy so hopefully it's decent, I hear the lake is beautiful.

Anyone else going over the weekend/next week?

Teamprotz
07-27-2011, 04:21 PM
Haven't seen any reports from others that wanted info. How'd you make out?