PDA

View Full Version : Clamp Downrigger Mounts

JPM
06-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Thinking of using the clamp mount to attach Scotty manual riggers to the gunnels of my 16' aluminum. I like the idea of the clamps because they are easy and I dont have to drill holes in my boat. Some folks tried to steer me away from them in favour of custom aluminum ">" sorda looking brackets or setups made from wood.

I'd love to hear from anybody who has experience with these.

Also, if anyone has any ideas about setting up riggers in a zodiac I would be "all ears". I was thinking of a 2X6 across the beam with the "slide-in-lock" type mount.

Thanks!

-JR-
06-27-2011, 06:37 PM
If you are looking into buying a jr scotty you will find out you can not attach a 10 lb ball on it which is need for deeper than 15 ft.
What you will find with the jr is the ball will not be staight down when trolling, but more like 20 feet behind you , steal line will be at a 45 degree angle. Your better off buying a dipsy diver.

JPM
06-27-2011, 06:56 PM
No I was thinking of a full size like the 1050, 1060 or similar. Thanks though.

Rick.
06-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Meaning no disrespect but 10lbs. to get deeper than 15 feet. Did I read that right? Perhaps a "0" was missed? You will find even with a 12 lb. ball the angle the steel cable enters the water gives the illusion the ball is well back of your downrigger. What causes the angle on the cable is resistance of the cable to the forward motion in the water. It causes the steel line to belly or arch.The ball is in fact almost straight below your downrigger. We used to have all kinds of formulas and theories as to the actual height of the ball. Then my buddy got a top of the line lowrance fish finder and we could actually see the ball on the screen. I could be letting it up and down and he would be telling me within a foot how deep it was and his lowrance agreed with the numbers on the counter.

Never seen a downrigger on an inflateable but your idea makes good sense to me as long as the wood is securely fastened. Best of luck. Rick. (if you need a Scotty clamp I'll sell you one)

EZM
06-27-2011, 10:51 PM
Meaning no disrespect but 10lbs. to get deeper than 15 feet. Did I read that right? Perhaps a "0" was missed? You will find even with a 12 lb. ball the angle the steel cable enters the water gives the illusion the ball is well back of your downrigger. What causes the angle on the cable is resistance of the cable to the forward motion in the water. It causes the steel line to belly or arch.The ball is in fact almost straight below your downrigger. We used to have all kinds of formulas and theories as to the actual height of the ball. Then my buddy got a top of the line lowrance fish finder and we could actually see the ball on the screen. I could be letting it up and down and he would be telling me within a foot how deep it was and his lowrance agreed with the numbers on the counter.

Never seen a downrigger on an inflateable but your idea makes good sense to me as long as the wood is securely fastened. Best of luck. Rick. (if you need a Scotty clamp I'll sell you one)

My fish finder (oddly enough a lowrance as well) will also pick up the ball trail (as a line) and it does indeed track "pretty much" straight down (almost) at 2.5 mph with a 10 lber. Down 150 feet the ball might be back maybe 20-25 feet at the most (unless my finder is reading wrong).

I'd really not use clamp mounts if you could avoid it - imagine your $400 bucks sinking to the bottom of the lake. I have seen guys out at Kootenay Lake rig up a block of wood (bolted thru their hull) and then fastened the rigger to that. Seems to work for these old time regulars.

I do agree with the dipsy comment as well. I use a combination of dispsy's and the rigger to do different things. The rigger is good for "close to exact" fine tuning fishing and without a planner board straight down. riggers are great if you just want a j-plug, crank bait or spoon alone at depth without the "noise" of the flasher. Sometimes fish are "skittish" and need a subtle presentation.

The dipsy, on the other hand, can pull your line out a little away from the boat (to give you a wider area to cover) and if you use the right diameter line and follow the charts she is pretty bang on actually (my fish finder indicates the trail of the dipsy, flasher and lure and i can see it's exact depth.

Both work quite well and seem to go back and forth in terms of what's working on many days.

Best of luck.

JPM
06-28-2011, 04:36 PM
Right on. Thanks.

kidd
06-28-2011, 05:50 PM
We installed our downriggers on the 12' aluminum by mounting them on top of the bench seats. Bolted on a bracket and just slide the downrigger in and out for travel. Then, when not downrigging there is just a flat bracket that doesnt really get in the way.
If I remember right the front seat needed to have a block of wood used as a shim between the rigger and the seat in order to get the downrigger to clear the edge of the hull.
Hope that helps.
kidd