PDA

View Full Version : Chester Lake opening weekend

jacenbeers
06-28-2011, 10:42 AM
Last year I hit up Chester Lake on opening weekend and then a bunch of us from the forum went up there together for a fun afternoon of fly fishing for dolly varden and cutts. Anybody up for it this year? I am heading up there this Saturday.

Coulee
06-28-2011, 10:46 AM
With the spring we have had don't be surprised if the trail is closed due to water damage. And if you get there, it might still be frozen. Wateridge lake would be a good back-up.

Okotokian
06-28-2011, 11:28 AM
With the spring we have had don't be surprised if the trail is closed due to water damage. And if you get there, it might still be frozen. Wateridge lake would be a good back-up.

Really? I've been to other lakes still mostly frozen in mid July but they were much higher. Never been to Chester but I had thought it was relatively low, with "Grandma and Grandpa" access as far as difficulty went. Ice still likely?

jacenbeers
06-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Really? I've been to other lakes still mostly frozen in mid July but they were much higher. Never been to Chester but I had thought it was relatively low, with "Grandma and Grandpa" access as far as difficulty went. Ice still likely?

IF grandma and grandpa are in good shape they should be able to do it but it is quite a steep hike and it is 2 hours easy. Last year in July there was still a glacier on the shore.

Okotokian
06-28-2011, 11:42 AM
IF grandma and grandpa are in good shape they should be able to do it but it is quite a steep hike and it is 2 hours easy. Last year in July there was still a glacier on the shore.

OK, thanks. Good to know.

slingshotz
06-28-2011, 02:49 PM
With all the cooler weather we've been having, I have a feeling it will have a bit more snow/ice than when we did it last year. I'd like to go again but I'm not sure right now if we have planned anything already. Are you planning on heading up real early?

jts1
06-28-2011, 04:31 PM
I had a good time last year with you all. Just not sure if the timing is ok. I will find out whats what and let ya know. I do get up there a few times a year regardless

jacenbeers
06-28-2011, 10:48 PM
With all the cooler weather we've been having, I have a feeling it will have a bit more snow/ice than when we did it last year. I'd like to go again but I'm not sure right now if we have planned anything already. Are you planning on heading up real early?

I am not sure what time I will be heading up. My wife is coming this time and we are bringing our dogs and they tend to wake up early so I will probably try and start the hike around 9 AM.

Pike'n'walleye
06-29-2011, 12:16 AM

wartridge lake holds no fish

TreeGuy
06-29-2011, 12:30 AM
Don't bother Jacen. My bud hiked the area last week and there's still 3' of snow. :(

Ray
06-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Don't bother Jacen. My bud hiked the area last week and there's still 3' of snow. :(

Is it impassable or just tough slogging?

Does anyone know if there is open water?