PDA

View Full Version : Big pike! What do you use?

biggamehunter
06-29-2011, 01:16 AM
Just got to wondering what you prefer to use for pike. Say you went out for an afternoon looking to land big pike what type of lure would you use for spincasting, or flies? Would you chuck a big rap crank, or a quarter ounce jig? Explain the colour, size, brand, and of course the name!

New Hunter Okotoks
06-29-2011, 01:43 AM
When targeting big pike I go with big baits. In the summer,I have always had really good luck with the Giant Killer Bucktail Spinner by Mepps. That's my go-to bait. Large spoons like Dare Devils and 5 of Diamonds work pretty well. I always have a decent selection of Williams Wobblers on board,but I find that I get a lot of <5lb fish hitting the Williams Wobblers and never the good ones. I have tried lots of different Rapalas in all sizes and I don't have success with them for pike.

I have caught plenty of large pike through the ice with Airplane jigs,Swedish Pimples and those artificial little pike jigging lures. I also use various sizes of dead baits. Large smelts would be the smallest dead bait that I use for ice fishing. I seem to have better luck with anchovies over herring and I have only caught a few with the really big baits like Mackeral. I have also had very small pike hit very big baits so who knows! LOL!

alodar
06-29-2011, 03:52 AM
When targeting big pike I go with big baits. In the summer,I have always had really good luck with the Giant Killer Bucktail Spinner by Mepps. That's my go-to bait. Large spoons like Dare Devils and 5 of Diamonds work pretty well. I always have a decent selection of Williams Wobblers on board,but I find that I get a lot of <5lb fish hitting the Williams Wobblers and never the good ones. I have tried lots of different Rapalas in all sizes and I don't have success with them for pike.

I have caught plenty of large pike through the ice with Airplane jigs,Swedish Pimples and those artificial little pike jigging lures. I also use various sizes of dead baits. Large smelts would be the smallest dead bait that I use for ice fishing. I seem to have better luck with anchovies over herring and I have only caught a few with the really big baits like Mackeral. I have also had very small pike hit very big baits so who knows! LOL!

I pretty much x2 this i find also that a gold bell spinner also works just plain no buck tails

pickrel pat
06-29-2011, 05:20 AM
12 inch herring under a bobber or just have it sitting on the bottom in deeper water.

0liver
06-29-2011, 04:04 PM
Big fat baitfish on the largest treble you can, under the biggest beach ball bobber. Go to the canals at wab, or at your favorite lake find a spillway or a nice weedy bay. Toss it in, with the bait hanging about 1 ft off bottom. before baiting a smelt/herring/any dead bait I always beat it up a bit. Smash it on a flat rock or just step on it once or twice, gets all the juices flowing out of it and just stinks up the whole area around your bait, driving the pike into a frenzy.

the trick to getting sure sets on every strike, is do not just rip your bait up the second you feel a wiggle.

When your bober begins to rumble, and you see your bober bouncing around, open your bail. Your bobber will start to "swim away" and after a count of 1 onethousand two onethousend three onethousand slap it shut and giver a yank.

congratulations on your 10lb+ pike.