PDA

View Full Version : pike on the fly

BuckHunterBowen
06-29-2011, 11:21 AM
Caught this fish on a fly rod this morning had too chase him with the boat almost spooled the reel.

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv212/zbowen55/100_0068.jpg

lineman4 life
06-29-2011, 11:26 AM
WOW!!!!!!! That's WILD!!!!!!!

ADIDAFish
06-29-2011, 01:23 PM
That must have been a rush! I have tried to catch pike on the fly a few times but haven't been successful yet. Those videos get me going though. Check out this one:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NXj7tyJtto

boot
06-29-2011, 02:31 PM
Very nice!!

jimbo1
06-29-2011, 02:35 PM
awesome catch congrats!

Chris84
06-29-2011, 02:40 PM
Awesome catch, you've had some beauties up there!! Did you measure that hog?

0liver
06-29-2011, 02:59 PM
what wt rod were you using, and what #test? thats a beast! look at the belly on that hog !

I'm saying your finger's must have burned bloody with anything less then an 8wt and some freaking salmon line !

congtz on the fish of a life time!

Darren N
06-29-2011, 03:02 PM
Nice Hog! Your heart must of been beating watching all your backing dissapear.

Muskeg
06-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Excellent fish, good job!

catnthehat
06-29-2011, 06:52 PM
Caught this fish on a fly rod this morning had too chase him with the boat almost spooled the reel.

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv212/zbowen55/100_0068.jpg

Okay, that's IT!!! the hawgs on the gear were bad enough, but THIS??!!
I REALLY hate you now!!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Man , that is just SICK!!!:)
Cat

Dust1n
06-29-2011, 08:24 PM
nice fish

elnino54
06-29-2011, 08:49 PM
Alberta Fish ?

Lefty-Canuck
06-29-2011, 08:54 PM
No NWT.....Great Slave I am pretty sure...with those number and quality it isn't from around here...

LC

Paul C
06-29-2011, 09:21 PM
I have a question for Mr. Buckhunterbowen. If you are guiding at your location why are the photos always taken with you holding the fish ? Looking at the other pictures in a different thread you are in the boat with a different person. I would like to see the person who caught the fish get credit for the fish in the photo.:thinking-006:

Dust1n
06-29-2011, 09:32 PM
I have a question for Mr. Buckhunterbowen. If you are guiding at your location why are the photos always taken with you holding the fish ? Looking at the other pictures in a different thread you are in the boat with a different person. I would like to see the person who caught the fish get credit for the fish in the photo.:thinking-006:

even cut him out of the pic

Lefty-Canuck
06-29-2011, 10:02 PM

As funny as some may think it sounds....due to liabilty issues and the fact they catch and release those big ones ONLY the guides are allowed to handle the fish. This is why he is the one holding them all the time. He is the guide the other folks are the clients.

LC

Brock1
06-29-2011, 10:02 PM
cause hes the guide and hes the one with the forum address. are you serious? Who would know his client on here? Good job buck, great guiding job on a huge fish. Forget the ridiculous comments. He is a proud young guide and should be, id stick my mug in there too... Brock:argue2:

BuckHunterBowen
06-30-2011, 08:29 AM
I cant let anyone hold the fish because if they get a cut on there hand there trip is done. There are usually differnet people in the picture because I am guiding more then one person per day and usually groups of four or more guys come up and they move from boat too boat so they can fish with all of there friends they came up with. He is cut out of the picture because his ten year old son took it.

This fish is out of Great Slave Lake.

Dust1n
06-30-2011, 08:39 AM
I cant let anyone hold the fish because if they get a cut on there hand there trip is done. There are usually differnet people in the picture because I am guiding more then one person per day and usually groups of four or more guys come up and they move from boat too boat so they can fish with all of there friends they came up with. He is cut out of the picture because his ten year old son took it.

This fish is out of Great Slave Lake.

hmm but why would the trip be done a soon as your cut?

Lefty-Canuck
06-30-2011, 08:50 AM
hmm but why would the trip be done a soon as your cut?

Fish Hunter7.....because of liability...if a guided fisherman gets cut they need to go back to the lodge immediately. It is the policy of the lodge thats why. Also Great Slave is a massive lake....if you get injured you could be hours from medical assitance....people holding big pike like the ones pictured have been known to hold them improperly and sustain injuries (gill rakers can cut really bad as I would hope you are aware). Heck I have done it my self when I was careless....

There is no "witch-doctory" here just policy on guest safety...

LC

Dust1n
06-30-2011, 08:54 AM
Fish Hunter7.....because of liability...if a guided fisherman gets cut they need to go back to the lodge immediately. It is the policy of the lodge thats why. Also Great Slave is a massive lake....if you get injured you could be hours from medical assitance....people holding big pike like the ones pictured have been known to hold them improperly and sustain injuries (gill rakers can cut really bad as I would hope you are aware). Heck I have done it my self when I was careless....

LC

o ok. but there is alternative ways of holding a pike aswell.
i guess some ruin it for others

Lefty-Canuck
06-30-2011, 09:00 AM

Don't get me wrong me FH7, If I just landed the biggest pike of my life on a fly I would like to hold it by myself too! Just like I did earlier in the year when I caught that 44 incher on the fly..... :) The problem is some people just don't know how to handle fish and will hurt the fish and themselves in the process.

LC

NSRfishing
06-30-2011, 09:03 AM
i wish i had a guide to handle my pike all the time i get angry when i see a pike on my line stinky slimy bastards that is a nice pike would be a good fight

biggamehunter
06-30-2011, 10:04 AM
What kind of files are you using for pike? Can u post pics?

ADIDAFish
06-30-2011, 10:39 AM

LC

Quite a few years ago, I fished North Athabasca lake and we had this old frail guide that didn't want to land the fish so we landed them all. The little pike we'd just let go in the water but for the big guys we'd bring them in and take pictures. That first day I cut my hands up all over the place until I learned exactly where to grab them. I didn't care since I was in fishing heaven. It didn't seem to worry our guide although he didn't seem too concerned about rules. lol

Lefty-Canuck
06-30-2011, 01:32 PM
What kind of files are you using for pike? Can u post pics?

Here is one I make and have had good luck with this season,

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=93955&highlight=pike

LC

billie
06-30-2011, 02:12 PM

I'm with Paul on this one. I wasn't aware of the guide handling rules but the quote in your post was "Caught this fish on a fly rod this morning ......" and as far as I'm concerned it should have read "My 10 year old client caught this.....

I have little respect for a person taking credit (or implying) for someone else's achievement.

To the actual fisherman, nice fish kiddo, if you even get to see this.

diamonddave
06-30-2011, 02:29 PM

Maybe when you publish your book you can add a section about how to negate the liabiltiy to the lodges and guides..... :snapoutofit:

diamonddave
06-30-2011, 02:30 PM
Those pike are absolute monsters, huge congrats and thanks for posting!

diamonddave
06-30-2011, 02:32 PM
I'm with Paul on this one. I wasn't aware of the guide handling rules but the quote in your post was "Caught this fish on a fly rod this morning ......" and as far as I'm concerned it should have read "My 10 year old client caught this.....

I have little respect for a person taking credit (or implying) for someone else's achievement.

To the actual fisherman, nice fish kiddo, if you even get to see this.

Holy crap you guys, he said the 10 year old took the picture of his dad with the guide. Read the posts.....

Kokanee9
06-30-2011, 03:18 PM
Fantastic fish!

chubbdarter
06-30-2011, 04:32 PM
simply...a beautiful fish...congats to guide and client

BuckHunterBowen
06-30-2011, 06:53 PM
We catch 15-20 pike over 40inches a day per boat. They cant handle them, eventually they will get cut and it will be bad enough too end there trip.
Your right there are other ways to hold a pike but usually result in the fish getting dropped and flopping in the bottom of the boat. I didnt mean too act like I caught the fish. The guy whos face is cut off caught it and his son took the picture.

Thanks for all the compliments more pictures too come.

trophybook
06-30-2011, 06:57 PM
fish hunter, billie, paul c. Are you guys serious.

Lefty-Canuck
06-30-2011, 07:37 PM
I am pretty sure BHB has caught a tonne of nice pike in his days up North....I don't think he HAS to take credit for catching any fish....although alot of the time it is BECAUSE of the guides the clients land their fish....just saying. Keep the pics coming! some real nice ones up there. I'll keep in touch with you on a trip for next year BHB.

LC

Bhflyfisher
07-01-2011, 01:36 AM
I lived up there for the year and fished a little bit. Dad came up in the spring and we booked a guide. Caught a 15lb, 13 1/2 lb, 12, 11, 10 and then just hammer handles. Lost one that probably doubled the girth of the 15 lb fish.

Caught about 30 that day

these two being the biggest

This one was 15lbs
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii44/jp465_2008/255747_10150270947615280_755045279_9375869_7004116 _n.jpg

The other was 13 1/2
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii44/jp465_2008/248915_10150270948725280_755045279_9375897_6125010 _n.jpg

steve
07-01-2011, 06:26 AM
Very nice!