PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Day Fishing

krachynski
06-29-2011, 04:05 PM
I've been meaning to ask this and noticed on another thread that "the Bow has been fishing good today".

My office is outside of downtown but maybe a 10 minute drive to the weir on the Bow in Calgary (15 or better if I try to cross and not have to walk down from Max Bell). Still, right close, but I was under the impression that the time to fish is mornings and evenings.

Is it worth it to wet my line during lunch? Okay, yes it's always worth getting the line wet, but am I likely to see any action?

FishGuy07
06-29-2011, 04:19 PM
How long have you been fishing for, the Bow river and in general?

krachynski
06-29-2011, 04:24 PM
Long enough to be embarrassed that I don't know the answer to my own question.

I can't say I've ever fished the Bow or any other river, though my Dad did just relate a story of fishing a creek of some sort and spending all his time going between my brother, my sister and myself releasing fish and baiting hooks.

Growing up, my time was spent primarily at lakes on the shores or in a boat. I've just been spending the last month or so trying to re-acquaint myself with the sport and finding places to fish.

flyfishing only 902
06-29-2011, 04:28 PM
i cant specifically comment on the bow but i can say that the old "early morning and evening" rule came about because most fish seem to be more active at these times. by NO means does that mean you cant catch fish at other times.
short answer yes you lucky SOB go fish on your lunch hour and dont be surprised if you catch something lol

have fun and good luck !!

chubbdarter
06-29-2011, 04:28 PM
alot of times on the Bow.....the mid day heat starts the aquatic process and is your best time.

krachynski
06-29-2011, 04:45 PM
Cool. Now I just need to figure out quickest route to and what to bring along and I've got some (more) lunch time activities now.

chubbdarter
06-29-2011, 04:55 PM
prime example is the hopper fishing.....its stupid fun on the BOW but them fish only get reckless after the sun and wind start chumming the water with naturals

Braun
06-29-2011, 04:59 PM
HOLD UP! why drive all that way. fish the bow down town. right around the peace bridge construction. I used to go every day at lunchme and Jraid have had some great lunchtimes there. any where upto 7 decent sized in an hour. ya. im gonna go fish it tomorrow i think........

Okotokian
06-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the thread! It's inspiring me to bring a rod to work. I can certainly slip away at lunch and I'm like 3 blocks south of the Bow. Not sure about fly fishing from shore and I'm NOT bringing waders and all. LOL I do have a little 4' pack rod (spinning) I could use. Any good spots around center street bridge? :)

krachynski
06-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Well, peace bridge construction is a "drive all that way" for me. Max Bell and the weir are fairly close by as I work near the Calgary Sun building.

Okotokian
06-29-2011, 05:14 PM
Peace Bridge? Where is that? Do I have to wear tie-dye?

Dust1n
06-29-2011, 08:20 PM
alot of times on the Bow.....the mid day heat starts the aquatic process and is your best time.

Best 2 tips iv ever seen!

krachynski
06-29-2011, 09:03 PM
Peace bridge is that new one they're building near 10th Street (6th?)

Braun
06-30-2011, 09:44 AM
oh I thought you worked down town. shucks. we could have had another lunchtime fisherman. ya its 6th. they actually built the temporary bridge right where a nice deep hole is that fish tend to sit in. now you cant fish that hole.

okotokian, trust me. you will get some looks, I do. I am walking down the street with my fishin rod and a little gear back..... then when im standing on the banks in dress clothes fishin, people stop and gawk at you. however, I have also had some self righteous idiots feel like they need to impart their wisdom on me. i remember this one time i was casting away. and because people feed the ducks at the park, every time you cast the ducks come over to where your lure dropped in the water thinking it was food. after 10 minutes they figure it out and just leave you alone. but this one guy was standing over my shoulder and says "if you hit one of those ducks I swear to god....." i stopped, looked back at him and thanked him for "showing me in one sentence the type of person he is. pompous to the point of not giving other people in society the benefit of the doubt that they are not there to do something wrong and are incapable of making correct decisions without your infinite wisdom and input. If you had watched me fore more than 2 casts you would see that i cast where ever the ducks are not. but thank you for keeping me in line, Im not sure what I would have done without your here."

He turned and walked away and the two other guys were laughing.

Its also shocking how many times I was fishing and people come up to me and say "there are fish in the bow river?"

Braun
06-30-2011, 09:48 AM
in regards to center street, between there and the pedestrian bridge is a nice bend. I am sure there are some really nice holding spots on both sides. If i was closer to that section i would explore the outside edges of the quicker waters through the turns.next time i am over that way i will take a look at certain spots but that would be a good section to fish for sure

0liver
06-30-2011, 09:57 AM
oh I thought you worked down town. shucks. we could have had another lunchtime fisherman. ya its 6th. they actually built the temporary bridge right where a nice deep hole is that fish tend to sit in. now you cant fish that hole.

okotokian, trust me. you will get some looks, I do. I am walking down the street with my fishin rod and a little gear back..... then when im standing on the banks in dress clothes fishin, people stop and gawk at you. however, I have also had some self righteous idiots feel like they need to impart their wisdom on me. i remember this one time i was casting away. and because people feed the ducks at the park, every time you cast the ducks come over to where your lure dropped in the water thinking it was food. after 10 minutes they figure it out and just leave you alone. but this one guy was standing over my shoulder and says "if you hit one of those ducks I swear to god....." i stopped, looked back at him and thanked him for "showing me in one sentence the type of person he is. pompous to the point of not giving other people in society the benefit of the doubt that they are not there to do something wrong and are incapable of making correct decisions without your infinite wisdom and input. If you had watched me fore more than 2 casts you would see that i cast where ever the ducks are not. but thank you for keeping me in line, Im not sure what I would have done without your here."

He turned and walked away and the two other guys were laughing.

Its also shocking how many times I was fishing and people come up to me and say "there are fish in the bow river?"

try riding the LRT in downtown edmonton to your fav fishing hole... I've twice been asked by transit cop's to show them whats in my rod case...which just so unfortunately looks exactly like a rifle case...

and when non-fisherpeople come up and ask "theres fish in the NSR?!" after you say "well what do you think?" they say "well there like radio active or something right? you get alot of 3 eyeball fish?" and all that is left is "Sigh....*recast and ignore*"

Okotokian
06-30-2011, 10:08 AM
try riding the LRT in downtown edmonton to your fav fishing hole... I've twice been asked by transit cop's to show them whats in my rod case...which just so unfortunately looks exactly like a rifle case...

And is there a law against having a firearm which you are legally transporting on public transit? I wouldn't be surprised if there was, but don't know.

Braun
06-30-2011, 10:11 AM
ya the second question i often get is, and do you keep them? i usually say well i dont really have anywhere to put them at work but i could keep one if i wanted to. then people say, if your not keeping them why fish.....

its funny how people who dont fish or have never fished before think the concept of fishing and letting them all go is strange

flyfishing only 902
06-30-2011, 10:20 AM
ya the second question i often get is, and do you keep them? i usually say well i dont really have anywhere to put them at work but i could keep one if i wanted to. then people say, if your not keeping them why fish.....

its funny how people who dont fish or have never fished before think the concept of fishing and letting them all go is strange

even funnier how someone in their 70s who fished his whole life thinks the same way lol

grunger
06-30-2011, 11:27 AM
I work dt. I gotta bring a rod to work...

Braun
06-30-2011, 11:33 AM
im going to start next week. the water level is down about a foot from last week. still high but its better than what it was. with the warm weather it should remain contained

0liver
06-30-2011, 12:31 PM
uh oh 902 got suspended? what happened?

Gust
06-30-2011, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the thread! It's inspiring me to bring a rod to work. I can certainly slip away at lunch and I'm like 3 blocks south of the Bow. Not sure about fly fishing from shore and I'm NOT bringing waders and all. LOL I do have a little 4' pack rod (spinning) I could use. Any good spots around center street bridge? :)

The Center Street Bridge is a great spot,,,, if you are close to the Pumphouse Theatre, great white spot. The 10th Street Bridge eons ago was always good,, actually the Downtown Bow is pretty stunning.

Dust1n
06-30-2011, 12:55 PM
uh oh 902 got suspended? what happened?

calling someone a liar