PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Volunteers July 9th for Nature as a Second Language: Fishing with New Canadians

ÜberFly
06-29-2011, 04:29 PM
Anyone that might be interested (A buddy that works for AB Tourism forwarded this to me):

>From: Nature Language <nature.language@gov.ab.ca>
>Date: June 29, 2011 12:40:38 PM MDT (CA)
>To: Nature Language <nature.language@gov.ab.ca>
>Subject: Seeking Volunteers July 9th for Nature as a Second Language: Fishing with New Canadians
>
>VOLUNTEER FISHING OPPORTUNITY
>The Alberta Tourism, Parks and Recreation Nature as a Second Language Initiative is seeking volunteers to help with Free Fishing Weekend, July 9th.
>
>Are an angler? Do you want to help others get into the sport? Nature as a Second Language needs volunteers to help with Free Fishing Day, July 9th at Allen Bill Day Use in the Elbow Valley of Kananaskis to help new Canadians learn to fish in Alberta. We need help to organize participants, set rods and reels, untangle fishing lines, and tell fish stories. We are also seeking donations of old rods and tackle to lend new Canadians.The poster is attached. The event runs from 10am to 3pm at Allan Bill Day use, and I’m looking for a few people who could help out as:
>
>If you are interested and available from 9:30 to 3:30 (or part of the day) please contact nature.language@gov.ab.ca as soon as possible. I can provide limited rides from Canmore/Bow Valley. You don’t need a valid fishing license, as it’s free fishing weekend, but if you do have one please bring it so people can ask where you got it, how much it cost etc.
>
>If you know someone who is an experienced angler, please forward this message to them. And please distribute this opportunity among your volunteers – stewards, ambassadors, etc.
>
>If you don’t know where Allan Bill Pond is, directions to the location are at the following link:
>http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=calgary&daddr=Allen+Bill+Pond&geocode=%3BFRauCAMdIvcp-SG23VCjEah86g&hl=en&mra=pe&mrcr=0&sll=51.055149,-114.21693&sspn=0.64741,0.999756&ie=UTF8&ll=50.994743,-114.375916&spn=0.648255,0.999756&t=h&z=10
>
>Thanks,
>
>Don
>
>
>Don Carruthers Den Hoed
>Inclusion and Collaboration Team Leader
>Kananaskis Country
>Parks Division
>Alberta Tourism, Parks and Recreation
>
>(: Phone 403-678-5508
> (toll-free by dialing 310-0000 first)
>Ê: Fax: 403-678-5505
>*: don.denhoed@gov.ab.ca
>
>www.Kananaskis-Country.ca
>www.albertaparks.ca/pushtoopen
>www.albertaparks.ca/naturelanguage
>
>"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
> ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Okotokian
06-29-2011, 04:47 PM
That sounds like a great initiative. I hope they are including an introduction to fishing regulations and copies of same for everyone? I think that's an important component that shouldn't be overlooked.