PDA

View Full Version : Burbot Anyone?

TundraBuck
12-29-2007, 04:12 PM
Has anyone been catching any burbot this year so far in Gull, Pine, or Sylvan? We used to do really well for them in all 3 of these lakes on tipups but haven't tried for them for years. Haven't even heard of a burbot being pulled out of pine for a while.

slipbobber
12-29-2007, 04:55 PM
I don't fish Pine very much but I have never heard of anyone catching a Burbot out of there. When I do go there I use my Aqua view and have never seen one but from some of the info out there Burbot are suppose to be in there.

TundraBuck
12-29-2007, 05:53 PM
Well according to the regs there are too, but yes, same as you haven't seen one for a long time. We used to catch them fishing for walleye and perch

BigBuck$
12-29-2007, 08:43 PM
Got one in Slyvan the other day, there are a few being caught by the marina in about 10 -12' of H2O. Anyone know how to cook / clean them? I threw mine back but some people say they are good to eat?

TangoKilo
12-29-2007, 08:58 PM
Burbot are great to eat. In my experiance they seem to hit tip ups late in the afternoon. In fact, I have never caught a burbot before noon.
Cleaning is very easy. Make an insision all the way around the head and back to the end of the tail. The skin peels off quite easily with a pair of pliars. Cut the meat away from the backbone and ribs ( no Y bones) and you are ready for the pan. GOOD EATS!!

Anyone know of any burbot hotspots in southern alberta?

cujo1969
12-29-2007, 09:19 PM
You can catch them early in the am b4 it gets light out but the best for me is when sun goes down and starts to get bark

TundraBuck
12-29-2007, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the tips guys.

JackBauerHunter
12-29-2007, 09:43 PM
I have pulled quite a few Burbs out of Gull so far this year, they hit everything a pike does. They also taste very good, cut into cubes,boiled in salt water and dipped in melted butter! Good Luck

Donny Bear
12-30-2007, 06:38 AM
Buffalo lake still has good numbers last i checked hvent fished it this year but it can produce some nice burbot and yes they are ugly but good fish and chips.

Reddog
12-30-2007, 05:40 PM
What depth do you guys concentrate on burbot. Have never caught one but really plan on it this year. Does anyone know of any lakes in the south that hold any good numbers of them?

Reddog
12-31-2007, 06:30 PM
What depth do you guys concentrate on burbot. Have never caught one but really plan on it this year. Does anyone know of any lakes in the south that hold any good numbers of them?