PDA

View Full Version : Where to go in the Edmonton area

DillzK
06-30-2011, 03:18 AM
Hello everyone, this is my first post here, and I must say, I've had a blast reading some of these threads along with gettin tons of useful information, so thanks!

That being said, I am wondering if there are any lakes near Edmonton that I could bring out my 12 foot aluminum boat for some good fishing (any kind works) I spent the day on coal and only managed to get two little undersized jacks. I just recently aquired this boat so fishin out of it is new to me! Any tips and info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

NSRfishing
06-30-2011, 05:18 AM
Long Island Lake by westlock is a good lake for a 12 ft boat never get any big waves alot of small pike just under legal size nice campground some good atv trail around

-JR-
06-30-2011, 06:23 AM
Realy nice lake for 12 ft boats is just north of Bonacord.
Lake sits low just like coal and Wizard lake so you don't get white caps if it gets windy .A few water skiers on lake but not like Wazard.
While driving east past Bonacord take your first road north.
When you come to a T intersection turn right (east)
then travel maybe 8-15 km, lake is on right hand side.
Has a small campground ,they do charge for day use around $5.00
Just a gravel boat launch.
Pike and perch.
If I remember the name I will let you know .
Has the same name as the lake just east of Edmonton.
Might be Cooking lake. yes thats it !

ice
06-30-2011, 06:37 AM
If you use your head any lake in edmonton area would be fine, wabamun has some monstr jacks, thats the lake i would recOmend. But like i said you your head, dont be going out on excessively windy days, and get off the lake when it picks up or a storm is brewing, iv been on wab with a 12 foot alum many times

linemanpete
06-30-2011, 07:17 AM
Realy nice lake for 12 ft boats is just north of Bonacord.
Lake sits low just like coal and Wizard lake so you don't get white caps if it gets windy .A few water skiers on lake but not like Wazard.
While driving east past Bonacord take your first road north.
When you come to a T intersection turn right (east)
then travel maybe 8-15 km, lake is on right hand side.
Has a small campground ,they do charge for day use around $5.00
Just a gravel boat launch.
Pike and perch.
If I remember the name I will let you know .
Has the same name as the lake just east of Edmonton.
Might be Cooking lake. yes thats it !

Half moon

Geezle
06-30-2011, 08:37 AM
If you use your head any lake in edmonton area would be fine, wabamun has some monstr jacks, thats the lake i would recOmend. But like i said you your head, dont be going out on excessively windy days, and get off the lake when it picks up or a storm is brewing, iv been on wab with a 12 foot alum many times

On Monday I took a 12' aluminum out on Wab with no problems, using just a little trolling motor. Launched in town and just puttered down the shoreline in the opposite direction of the Marina (East?). Must have landed at least a dozen snot rockets and had a couple others break off (dodgy line! :angry3:) all within sight of the main dock. Just make sure it's a calm day and you'll be fine. You'll be in even better shape if you've got a little gas motor on the boat.

Kim473
06-30-2011, 08:42 AM
No fish in cooking lake. Half moon N. of bonacord is a nice little lake. Used to catch 12" perch there while spear fishing years ago.
I would suggest Wab for big pike, Devils lake can be fun only about 1/2 hr west. Can try Isle but may have winter killed. Nakamun can be fun. Lots of small trout ponds west around stoney plain. A great trout lake is carson but its a couple of hrs away.

Geezle
06-30-2011, 08:51 AM
No fish in cooking lake. Half moon N. of bonacord is a nice little lake. Used to catch 12" perch there while spear fishing years ago.
I would suggest Wab for big pike, Devils lake can be fun only about 1/2 hr west. Can try Isle but may have winter killed. Nakamun can be fun. Lots of small trout ponds west around stoney plain. A great trout lake is carson but its a couple of hrs away.

Good call on the trout ponds Kim. Chickacoo would be easy to launch a little aluminum at...or Morinville. I'm not sure if there's anywhere to launch at Cardiff or not?

flyfishing only 902
06-30-2011, 10:04 AM
Good call on the trout ponds Kim. Chickacoo would be easy to launch a little aluminum at...or Morinville. I'm not sure if there's anywhere to launch at Cardiff or not?

there isnt a boat launch at cardiff ,you have to carry it about 300 yards to the water.

0liver
06-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Pigeon lake takes the cake out of any of the lakes you guys are mentioning ^_^

but it can get nasty when the pop-up thunderstorms start rolling in from the south west...so be sure to check the wind/warnings before going out.

Launch at mullhurst and put around south towards the pencil weeds at the south end of the lake, kind of near mameo beach areaish. Trying to be vague on purpose because some of my fav holes are in this area, and if you are trolling all the way from mullhurst to mameo you will be catching 50+ fish a day.
you literally CAN NOT keep the 3-6lb walleye off. they just attack it mindlessly, sometimes you swear your catching the same fish over and over...but the story changes the second you get towards those weeds.. I've seen massive pike just floating there out in the open watching the weeds waiting to ambush small perch and walleye..if your persistant you will be landing pike from 6-15lbs around those pencil weeds. [try not to cast directly into them, but rather right at the edge, and angle yourself so you are retrieving your spoon/jig adjacent to the weed bed] My set up usually consists of a bright jighead with a big fat leech or Storm Wildeye waddletail minnow jig, under a slip bobber if im going super deep but usually you are fine just casting and retrieving with a gentle bottom bounce. Double tail mister twisters work fine too in white/black zebra pattern and also that bright construction vest yellow with the sparkly bits in it.

GOOD LUCK ! and remember watch the weather network for like 20 mins and take a look at the dopler, if you see a big cloud mass coming towards edmonton from the south west pidgeon is pretty much out of the question.. as almost all thunderstorms approach from the pidgeon lake area and you can get big whitecaps and have had some nasty experiences myself.

jackz
06-30-2011, 10:38 AM
Olivers Got it right ! Pigeon lake is fun for fishing !

0liver
06-30-2011, 10:50 AM
Indeed, Its more quantity over quality though. Unless your going for whites threw the ice...whole different ball park... not unheard of to get 6 or 7 pound hump back whites... there just freaking massive...:fighting0030:

and then theres the trench monsters. stay away from that trench man.... just trust me....South side of the lake right in the middle there is a massive trench there... keep your bait out of there unless you want to get spooled or break your rod...:scared:

DillzK
06-30-2011, 03:24 PM
Wow, thanks everyone. Again, a lot of helpful info and I appreciate that. One last question, what would you say is the best perch lake in the area. A couple years back I went with a friend of mine to jackfish lake, and we caught a ton of little ones, could hardly keep em away, but nothing reaaally worth keeping unless you get all 15. I realize though that is because its a stunted lake, so I guess that's what I should expect from there still. But if anyone knows any great perch lakes, I would be happy to hear from you. Thanks guys.

mudbug
06-30-2011, 04:49 PM
Wow, thanks everyone. Again, a lot of helpful info and I appreciate that. One last question, what would you say is the best perch lake in the area. A couple years back I went with a friend of mine to jackfish lake, and we caught a ton of little ones, could hardly keep em away, but nothing reaaally worth keeping unless you get all 15. I realize though that is because its a stunted lake, so I guess that's what I should expect from there still. But if anyone knows any great perch lakes, I would be happy to hear from you. Thanks guys.

Try Hasse for perch, I hear they're on the small side but they like to bite :)

:sign0016: to the forum

Also Wabamum has lots of action. I caught 19 and my friend caught 25 Pike a few weeks ago :sHa_shakeshout:

DillzK
06-30-2011, 05:09 PM
Thanks Mudbug, I think tomorrow me an my buddy are gonna try our luck at Wab. Any suggestions on where abouts we should head that is somewhat close to the launch? I don't want to press my luck with the boat until I know it better.

MissD
06-30-2011, 06:39 PM
Went to Wab this past weekend and caught a ton of fish. Still new to the whole fishing thing, but I caught my biggest fish at Wab this week. We didn't launch off the main dock. We launched at the dock that is in Moonlight Bay (where the campground is) and stayed in the Bay most of the time due to white caps on the lake. Caught a ton of fish. Jigging, trolling, casting... Had lots of fun experimenting with new things. We stayed within sight of the bridge for the most part. Maybe try the bay if you're just looking to get a feel for it? We just have a small boat, so the lake is a little daunting, ha ha.

Geezle
06-30-2011, 11:26 PM
Thanks Mudbug, I think tomorrow me an my buddy are gonna try our luck at Wab. Any suggestions on where abouts we should head that is somewhat close to the launch? I don't want to press my luck with the boat until I know it better.

I was out on Wab on Monday with a 12' aluminum and a trolling motor.

Launch in town and just follow the shoreline down towards the train bridges and you'll do just fine. I caught at least a dozen still within sight of the dock :)